• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TOMMY47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Broom--I guess it depends on the times. In times os long term stability, it might be excessive. In times of uncertainty or chaos ( like now), it might not be enough. Better too much than too little.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Shouldn't we just ask "What would you rather be shot with?" and let that be the answer?

Ok, if we're talking about self defense in normal life then I'd use hollowpoints. I've got a stock of FMJs for practice and if society decides to take a crap like riots, looting, etc. At that point, It more likely to be a shoot towards someone multiple times instead of intending to put one through them. Don't get me wrong, if a gun is pointed at me then they are gonna go down but perhaps I just have to pop off a few to get one or two looters to go somewhere else & loot and if so FMJs are cheaper to do that.

Also take into consideration what's beyond your target. FMJs will likely pass through a person, hollowpoints are designed to lose all/most velocity inside the target.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    fbi findings on handgun penetration

"
    An issue that must be addressed is the fear of over penetration widely expressed on the part of law enforcement. The concern that a bullet would pass through the body of a subject and injure an innocent bystander is clearly exaggerated. Any review of law enforcement shootings will reveal that the great majority of shots fired by officers do not hit any subjects at all. It should be obvious that the relatively few shots that do hit a subject are not somehow more dangerous to bystanders than the shots that miss the subject entirely.
    Also, a bullet that completely penetrates a subject will give up a great deal of energy doing so. The skin on the exit side of the body is tough and flexible. Experiments have shown that it has the same resistance to bullet passage as approximately four inches of muscle tissue.37
    Choosing a bullet because of relatively shallow penetration will seriously compromise weapon effectiveness, and needlessly endanger the lives of the law enforcement officers using it. No law enforcement officer has lost his life because a bullet over penetrated his adversary, and virtually none have ever been sued for hitting an innocent bystander through an adversary. On the other hand, tragically large numbers of officers have been killed because their bullets did not penetrate deeply enough."

link:The Gun Zone -- FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This a 155 grain .40 FMJ bullet that I dug out of a frozen milk jug. It was fired out of an M&P at 25 yards. I know we are talking ice compared to the human body. However, most SD shots are 8-12 feet, that's 2.7-4 yards. Tell me that it would not penetrate through the human body with enough energy to harm someone else.

003-39.jpg

004-27.jpg

005-19.jpg

Top Bottom