• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I get there has been a rise in cost of raw materials but to got from 459 ish dollars for a Marlin in 2018 to 1,200 by a “Ruger” Marlin in 2023 just don’t add up.

I am hoping once the hype dies down so wil the price. The 1895 45 70 Ruger Marlins had a MRSP of what 1,100 we were listing them on Gun browker for 1,099 and they were going for 2,200
    People lost their minds
    Considering some of the junk Marlin turned out in their last couple decades, I'm not sure some of them were worth anywhere close to $500. Whether or not the Ruger is worth $1200 is an individual decision. Quality costs though, so I wouldn't expect the prices on new ones to drop below the current MSRP anytime soon.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    That's the one I truly want, but I'd like to see a stainless steel model, with fancy walnut stock.

If Henry would make one I'd be interested in one of theirs also. Shoot even Rossi.
    I have a Trapper...and I love shooting it. But at heart I'm a blue steel and walnut stock kinda guy....im also a sucker for octagon barrels

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Considering some of the junk Marlin turned out in their last couple decades, I'm not sure some of them were worth anywhere close to $500. Whether or not the Ruger is worth $1200 is an individual decision. Quality costs though, so I wouldn't expect the prices on new ones to drop below the current MSRP anytime soon.
    I worked at a large retail store and range as a retirement gig. I got to see a ton of post JM (Remington) Marlins come through and while there were a few QC issues around 2010/11 whenever Remington or Freedom Arms whoever took over that seemed largely exaggerated. I heard folks still going on in 2015 and everything I saw was night and day different from the first few runs in 2010.

In fact from the looks fit and finish they were on par with any of my JM marked Marlins.

I believe the couple things that have ARs so inexpensive (standard ones anyway) seems that all that is getting pumped out by a lot of companies. Because they sell. So I guess I’m answering my own question from earlier just didn’t think I’d ses them be cheaper but things change.

With S&W it’s the same way with revolvers vs their M&P pistol line they are 18 months behind in Revolver SKUs (their Reps words) because polymer guns are easier and cheaper to make than a revolver.

Of course if you compare a S&W revolver to say a Colt 1911 (same class standard or like number of bells and whistles) the revolver will always be cheaper just not as cheap as a polymer. Some folks maybe overlook that since Polymer is by far the most style semi auto it seems

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I worked at a large retail store and range as a retirement gig. I got to see a ton of post JM (Remington) Marlins come through and while there were a few QC issues around 2010/11 whenever Remington or Freedom Arms whoever took over that seemed largely exaggerated. I heard folks still going on in 2015 and everything I saw was night and day different from the first few runs in 2010.

In fact from the looks fit and finish they were on par with any of my JM marked Marlins.

I believe the couple things that have ARs so inexpensive (standard ones anyway) seems that all that is getting pumped out by a lot of companies. Because they sell. So I guess I’m answering my own question from earlier just didn’t think I’d ses them be cheaper but things change.

With S&W it’s the same way with revolvers vs their M&P pistol line they are 18 months behind in Revolver SKUs (their Reps words) because polymer guns are easier and cheaper to make than a revolver.

Of course if you compare a S&W revolver to say a Colt 1911 (same class standard or like number of bells and whistles) the revolver will always be cheaper just not as cheap as a polymer. Some folks maybe overlook that since Polymer is by far the most style semi auto it seems
    I wasn't referring to the fit and finish issues which were indeed corrected. I was referring to the roughly machined and oversized barrels that many of the rifles from the early to mid 2000s had, especially those in .44 mag. I know several people that bought them when PCRs were legalized for deer hunting who had problems with them, my father included. He was luckier than many in that he found a factory load that would group reasonably well, though he had to clean it thoroughly every 20 rounds or so to prevent accuracy from deteriorating rapidly. Others had to resort to handloads with oversize cast bullets just to get groups that barely missed be more accurately described as patterns.

JonN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    IN
    Very nice, wondered if someone had posted about it here yet (fairly green to INGO yet).

One of my most regretted sales of a gun was a very nice Marlin 1894 (edit: JM stamp, pre-safety), can't recall the model. Many a time I've wished I still had it, but ya live and learn.

Anxious to see one in person but definitely don't think I'll be spending that kind of coin on one. WHY won't they drop the lawyer safety?!

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    For everyone complaining about price; vintage Marlins are going for $1,500-$2,000 daily; I just recently sold an 1895 from 1973 for $1,700 and it wasn’t pristine.

There’s definitely a market here, and the pricing isn’t our of line; you might not like how much it costs; neither do I; but it’s cheaper than used, and WILL sell.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a new model 1894 in .44mag about 6 months prior to Marlin selling to Remington.
    JM stamped, but one of the last ones.
    Fit and finish were fine. Function and accuracy were on par with the fit and finish.
    All in all I was/am fully satisfied with my purchase.
    Fast forward to after Remington had worked out the teething issues and I bout an 1895 in .45-70gvt, and a model 336 in .35 Remington.
    I must have gotten lucky because both of the REM stamped Marlins are great rifles.
    Beautiful and functional.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I won't hypothesize on the quality difference between the Marlin and the Henry, but the tube load on the Henry wins for me every time.
    I've had both side by side. Both shot great, quality on both are excellent. I am not a tube load fan. To me it's just not right but that's my preference. I like a loading gate. I got rid of the Henry I kept the Marlin

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have a JM marked 336, in 30/30, gave it to my step son, wish I hadn't now....It's in my safe, but not "mine" I can't replace it, because of the not enough money clause...I do have a nice Rossi .357, that I love, but it's not a thuty-thuty....

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Tube fed or loading gate? Yes! I want them all. I do not discriminate based on loading style. I even have a couple factory-ported Marlins. They do not offend me.

My latest Henry, the top one in this photo, had bodacious wood. I didn't know before buying it used, but it was a fancier one with a family name inscribed. Some of my Marlins are no slouches in the looks department either. (though some might not fancy optics, I can't shoot without them, mostly).

To the original topic, I have not seen or handled the new Marlins. I hope Ruger does it right. I too am curious about they're initial caliber choices, being that the .357 is probably most in demand usually.

I don't believe I've ever handled a lever action I didn't like:

IMG_3159 (2).jpg

Cropped IMG_2316.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I get there has been a rise in cost of raw materials but to got from 459 ish dollars for a Marlin in 2018 to 1,200 by a “Ruger” Marlin in 2023 just don’t add up.

I am hoping once the hype dies down so wil the price. The 1895 45 70 Ruger Marlins had a MRSP of what 1,100 we were listing them on Gun browker for 1,099 and they were going for 2,200
    People lost their minds
    That’s everything now, in 2018 I did a 200ft chain link fence for 2200 and now the cheapest bid I got was 5000 and 3500 of that was materials

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    States the receiver , lever and trigger guard plate are still forged like the old Marlins. Hammer forged barrel. The Remington Marlins I had seen when they first came out had checkering so bad they should have just left the wood smooth like the old time Marlins. Looked like a bunch of drunk monkeys ran the dept.

I have one of the later JM marked 1894s in 357 so I probably won't be in the market for the Ruger/Marlin 44. Sold my 1979 1894 in 44mag a few years ago and don't really miss it. Hope the new 1894s are a good quality rifle.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Awhile back my LGS HAD THE NEW Ruger made Marlin 1894 in both 357 and 44 and they both ended up coming home with me. Exceptional firearms and I don’t have any gripes about them. Although for the life of me I still can’t find a one of the new GBL Marlin 45-70’s in a lgs to save my life and will not pay the gunbroker stupidity for one. I know they exist but sure not in central Indiana lol!!!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Awhile back my LGS HAD THE NEW Ruger made Marlin 1894 in both 357 and 44 and they both ended up coming home with me. Exceptional firearms and I don’t have any gripes about them. Although for the life of me I still can’t find a one of the new GBL Marlin 45-70’s in a lgs to save my life and will not pay the gunbroker stupidity for one. I know they exist but sure not in central Indiana lol!!!
    Great scores, i've examined several .357 and .44's recently that were on the shelf around here and they seem like excellent quality.

Top Bottom