• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    No....there are some stunning similarities all over the country.

Anyhoo, as to the license plates....honestly I have a hard time getting worked up about this. They need to have a uniform standard, but a lawsuit? I've never gotten a vanity plate. Do you have to explain the intended meaning of the plate on the form, or just put what you want?

I have my 4-H Foundation plate with the number the state gave me and that's just fine.

Yes, you are asked the meaning when you apply for a personalized plate. It was hard for me to say mine with a straight face.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I think all of these specialty plates and personalization just contribute to BMV bloat. The plate is supposed to just show that a vehicle's "tax" has been paid. Make it as cheap as possible to do the job.

If you want to say something "cute", get a bumper sticker.

God, I sound like a crotchety old man sometimes.....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Personally, I think all of these specialty plates and personalization just contribute to BMV bloat. The plate is supposed to just show that a vehicle's "tax" has been paid. Make it as cheap as possible to do the job.

If you want to say something "cute", get a bumper sticker.

God, I sound like a crotchety old man sometimes.....

I don't like putting stickers on my car.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What a dillema. Poor BMV has to balance the potential loss of a cash cow personal plate $ against some twit being offended by "GSUSLVR", "BHO H8R", "GUN LVR" or something similar. :rolleyes:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't. But since I have to have a plate I may as well be allowed to have some fun with what the plate says.
    Why?

Since you have a SSN, you should get one that spells 5318008?

Sorry, but we should limit government to the leanest possible to do the job. Not run a whole system (of employees, machines, resources, rules, and policies) to allow a few folks to "have fun".

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Why?

Since you have a SSN, you should get one that spells 5318008?

Sorry, but we should limit government to the leanest possible to do the job. Not run a whole system (of employees, machines, resources, rules, and policies) to allow a few folks to "have fun".

If I could of!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I thought Gov't was suppose to be offensive. All this cutsie plate crap is annoying and toxic.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I guess in the end it is a subjective decision, and even if only one person reviewed all the plate applications there could still be some variability in what they approve. I am sure this problem occurs in every state and country in which personalized plates are allowed. People are always going to try to push the boundaries one way or the other.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Mountains out of mole hills IMO. Whats the big deal? FWIW I have a plate on my patrol car with 10 16 on it. The comments do get old. I do wish the bmv would do away with all of the specialty plates. They make it a pita to run one. Also make all numbers and letters the same flipping size.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This. Just take the plate you're issued and be done with it.

This is what happens with the "run the government like a business" approach. Its not a business. Its not the purpose of a license plate to be some cutesy saying. That's what bumper stickers and those Disney family things are for.

Indiana has way too many types of plates, not even counting personalized plates. Plates should come in the basic flavors of "Personal car/truck, Commercial car/truck, Municipal/Police, Motorcycle (because they need to be smaller), Trailer, and handicapped versions as needed" and that would cover it. Actually, with the mirror hanger thing, you don't even need the handicapped car plates, although you'd probably still need it for motorcycles.

No more worries about who's organization counts as special enough/not special enough for an organization plate, etc. No worries about who's little cutesy saying is to sexy, racist, violent, etc.

Go back to license plates as a means to identify the vehicle and registered owner. The end.

I think the main reason the PP plate program got so out of control is that it brought a lot of money in. Period.

The government gets corrupted because it has the opportunity to bring in more money.

Thus, everyone and their bro in law an get a special plate approved.

I think we could do just fine with the plainest plates-- white with black letters. Even the State itself is in on the action, using plates as a tourism promotion billboard.

Whatever provides the basic function of vehicle identification at the lowest possible cost should be done.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I know this a bit off subject, but most car companies will not use the letters I, O , Q in the VIN numbers on their products due to the confusion with 1 and 0.
    I could see where it would be confusing for LEO and even worse when used in a word.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the main reason the PP plate program got so out of control is that it brought a lot of money in. Period.

The government gets corrupted because it has the opportunity to bring in more money.

Thus, everyone and their bro in law an get a special plate approved.

I think we could do just fine with the plainest plates-- white with black letters. Even the State itself is in on the action, using plates as a tourism promotion billboard.

Whatever provides the basic function of vehicle identification at the lowest possible cost should be done.

Then charge $5 more for regular plates if that's what it takes to make the budget. This is not an insurmountable obstacle, nor a change that will impact anyone's standard of living.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Then charge $5 more for regular plates if that's what it takes to make the budget. This is not an insurmountable obstacle, nor a change that will impact anyone's standard of living.

Please don't volunteer an increase of my taxes and fees to the State. If you'd like to pay more, I won't stop you, but please don't volunteer my money as well.
    (By the way, I have used regular plates or the alternate supposed same-cost 'In God We Trust' plate since I first started driving.)

Top Bottom