Releasing the slide on an empty chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I never never never ever ever do so.
    I don't consider it "babying" my guns when I'm simply taking care of my possessions.
    Come to think of it, I don't stand in my driveway and repeatedly slam my car doors or put explosives in my microwave, or fill squirt guns with paint and aim at my spinning ceiling fan either...
    I mean I *COULD* (if I wanted to)...but I just choose to take care of my stuff.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't consider it "babying" my guns when I'm simply taking care of my possessions.
    Come to think of it, I don't stand in my driveway and repeatedly slam my car doors or put explosives in my microwave, or fill squirt guns with paint and aim at my spinning ceiling fan either...
    Hmmmm...I thought that's where everybody kept their explosives. :D

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    It makes sense to me NOT to do it. Its not technically the same as when you are firing; because when you are firing, the slide has to push a round out of the magazine, up the feed ramp, and into the chamber. Pushing this round absorbs some of energy that is in play when the slide comes forward. Letting it slam home on an empty chamber it does not have this energy drain on it, and so it slams forward harder. Is it hard enough to hurt the gun? Most likely not if it happens occasionally, but anybody will tell you that prolonged increased stress on mechanical components is never good. *shrug*

I ride it when empty. Let 'er go when loaded. Just because I feel better about it that way.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN

I ride it when empty. Let 'er go when loaded. Just because I feel better about it that way.
    I also do it that way because I was told to when in the service. The explanation we received was that the stresses on the 1911 are very different, between empty and chambering.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

About the squirt gun....how did you get all those nice spatter patterns in the dining room then?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I'll ask. What's the purpose of slamming it shut on an empty chamber? Does it serve any purpose? I don't think so, and therefore I don't do it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I was watching guns and ammo tv this morning and a Sig Sauer rep closed the slide with the lever. :dunno: I have always tried to not do it very much, no reason really I guess. I usually have my hands on the slide, I will say though that if I do let it happen I don't sit up at night worrying about it. :):

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just like driving a nail is perfectly OK with a hammer, but do it enough times, its going to mar the face of the hammer. There isnt a point in dropping the slide on an empty chamber, so why do it?
    As far as the slide not loosing any momentum, its simple physics people.... the spring is the same, the load it moves it heavier if its pushing a live round. Not to mention the friction, if that small amount of friction has no bearing, then why does polishing the feed ramp make any difference?

Nothing says that you cannot abuse your property however you want, but I prefer to keep my things as nice as I can.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If it damages the gun,then your mags better be perfect at pushing the slide stop every time and not fail to lock the slide on an empty mag.Right?

Top Bottom