• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssgmoser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Highand, IN
    I was wondering how many people that reload, do it for their personal consumption, for selling, and/or both.

1. For personal use

2. For selling

3. Both

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would reload for sale, but I don't have an FFL, nor do I intend to pay for an LLC or any type of liability insurance.

It is illegal to manufacture ammo for profit without the proper FFL manufacturing license(s)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I do it fir myself and I trust no one other than the factory for loaded ammo. No reload ammo is cheap enough to warrant me taking a chance on someone elses reloads. It only takes one doublecharge to make a mess of your gun and your face/hands.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Pesonal, however I do have a few friends I load for free as long as they buy the components, of course before I load for them I allow them to sit with me at the bench for a while so they can see that they're getting the best and safest, and most consistent ammo. I would never buy reloads off someone who I wasn't able to examine their process, basically I don't want to end up buying reloads off the guy who rode the short bus.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You'll find VERY few folks who sell their reloads, due to liability concerns and the legalities involved.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't ever reload for resale, that would be a great way to invite the ATF agent to a party - and you wouldn't like the gifts! You must have a Class 6 (or higher) FFL license to manufacture ammo for anyone other than yourself. Besides that the liability could cost you everything you own.
    {Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than ammunition for destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition. Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.}

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Would not bother reloading commercially unless I could purchase high speed automatic equipment.
    The tax structure alone will make you pull your hair out.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    You'll find VERY few folks who sell their reloads, due to liability concerns and the legalities involved.
    People might try and be a "good guy" and load for their friends...but...if the worse case should happen, friendships go out the window and the lawyers come barging in. I will gladly show people how to reload but will not load for them..I have seen situations occur that could, and have been very ugly.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Serious question, not sarcastic...

What's the difference between "selling" reloads and me "paying" someone to reload for me? IE, I supply the components and they do the work and I give them something for their time?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    People might try and be a "good guy" and load for their friends...but...if the worse case should happen, friendships go out the window and the lawyers come barging in. I will gladly show people how to reload but will not load for them..I have seen situations occur that could, and have been very ugly.

Often in liability (I am not a lawyer) it isn't even that the guy injured suddenly unfriends the person that could be sued. It is often the health insurance company of the injured person that sues the injured friend to recover the $$$ they paid on his behalf for health care. So the possibility of you having to pay out $ only slightly goes down if the guy injured doesn't sue you directly.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Serious question, not sarcastic...

What's the difference between "selling" reloads and me "paying" someone to reload for me? IE, I supply the components and they do the work and I give them something for their time?

Whether you are selling, or someone else is getting payed, there had better be a license and insurance involved or else you risk legal ramifications. If you pay someone for their time, it's a commercial transaction. That person would be quite foolish, in this day and age, to do business with you unless he has the right licensing and insurance.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nope, I don't reload for others and I am not paranoid. Hardly a range trip goes by that I will gladly let someone try out one of my guns with my ammo.. If it's a handgun, 95% of the time the ammo will be my reloads. I have no issues letting someone try my loads on the site if I am present. If they want to take the rounds to be fired at a " later date ", than absolutely not ! It's not that I don't trust people, but honest mistakes can happen.

This actually happened to me. It was a honest mistake and no one was trying to take advantage of anyone. It was around 1990 and a good friend of mine's son (Greg) called and said his dad (Dave) had accumilated close to 500 cases from his Blackhawks (.44 mag) and he wondered if I could load them for him in time for his birthday.

Thankfully I told Greg I would be happy to help out. I told him to drop the cases by and give me a week. I also told him I would provide the primers and powder but told
    him where and what to buy for the bullets. When the following week rolled around, Greg came over with 500 240gr cast bullets and I already had the cases tumbled, resized, and primed. I quickly set him up to drop 7.5gr of Unique and gave him a quick class on the singe stage at the time. I sat with him the remainder of the evening as he finished loading them for his dad.

Evidently Greg didn't want to take all the credit... He told his dad to thank me also. Well, MANY years went by (about 15 ) and I get a call from Dave... he starts saying it was a good thing he had a Ruger and my load about blew it up... He expained he unknowingly stacked a second bullet in the barrel. A trip to the gunsmith got them removed and the Ruger was deemed fine...

At this point the only thing I could think happened was Greg missed charging a case. I told Dave to bring the remainder of the ammo over and I'd pull it for him and I would help him recharge what was left. Immediately when I saw the ammo, I saw it was NOT the rounds Greg had loaded for him. It was not the same style bullet Greg used and it was not only in a different box, but also was labeled in someone handwriting other than his sons.. When I questioned Dave, come to find out he had many different people load rounds for him... Also, when he was given these rounds years back, his son didn't specify who had did the majority of the work... Dave had ASSUMED since he was told to thank me that I had did all the loading...

Honest mistakes can happen. There are many out there that " collect " reloads from anyone they can talk into it... Many times these loads stay in the back of a closet for a decade or more... Many times the time exceedes the memory of the average person has to who loaded them...

Top Bottom