• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1. I talked to him and he said that the reason it is so cheap is because his friend is EX-MILITARY so he gets all of his stuff for cheap.

2. I own a 92fs a1. By chance do you know if those guns can take lead bullets?

Thanks for all the responses guys :thumbsup:

#1 means nothing. There are some component suppliers with a 10% veteran discount, but still at 9 cents a round he's maybe breaking even with free range pick up brass and bulk lead he's casting himself. That's not even counting the cost of equipment.

#2, Beretta says yes but be sure to clean all of the lead out of the rifling before going back to jacketed bullets or you can blow out a barrel. Well, they say something like "extremely high pressures may result", but same thing.

On a side note, it just struck me, $9 in reloading EQUIPMENT? Given that a high end Dillon progressive is about $1700, and most set ups are $1k or less, I'm curious as to what exactly he spent $9k on.

Still just doesn't sound right.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    On a side note, it just struck me, $9 in reloading EQUIPMENT? Given that a high end Dillon progressive is about $1700, and most set ups are $1k or less, I'm curious as to what exactly he spent $9k on.

Still just doesn't sound right.

Multiple presses would add up quick.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    5gr of 800x in 9mm shell comes out to 1.61 cents/rd
    Primer is 3.4 cents/rd
    Projectiles are 9 cents/rd for FMJ

So I'm currently reloading at a shade over .14/rd
    7 bucks for a box of 50. Not bad.

On a different note, I'd never let a friend of a friend shoot my reloads. I'd probably never let anyone shoot my reloads without me being there.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Amortization.

I spent approximately $1200.00 for reloading equipment last year. All of my brass is once fired by me from my pre-reloading era or range brass so basically free brass. I have to date reloaded slightly more than 6000 rounds of 9mm and .45 ACP. With my component costs ie; bullets,powder and primers AND the amortization of my equipment I am currently just below .40 a round. That figure will continue to decrease with each round loaded of course until eventually I will be reloading for virtually the cost of the components but it takes awhile to recoup the initial investment. :twocents:

MyDillon550B006_zps6bf3a207.jpg

Laundryroomtoreloadingroom060_zps74d20522.jpg

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Isn't it illegal to sell reloads without an FFL?:dunno:

Give your friend a head up...
    Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
    Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Manufacturers | ATF

Of course at $0.09/round it seems unlikely that it's for "livelihood or profit."

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Isn't it illegal to sell reloads without an FFL?:dunno:

Only if one is in the business of distributing them for livelihood and profit. The quote you took from the website says that in plain English.

A Camdex machine probably costs something like $30k new. $9k for a used one would be a great deal, depending on condition

You'd have to pull the handle an awful lot of times on a Dillon to make any money. While commercial loaders may use them for small batches, truly automated equipment is necessary to make high volumes of ammunition, or some sort of auto drive on a regular press.

Top Bottom