• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Reloading equipment is just as scarce as ammunition these days. If you can gather the material and equipment, here is my cost break down on bullet cost:

Plated 9mm 124gr = $0.125
    Primer =$0.035
    powder =$0.02
    new brass =$0.35

One reloaded 9mm bullet cost: $0.53

Reuse your brass and the per bullet cost is: $0.18

Cast your own bullets =$0.05
    Now, the bullet cost: $0.13

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Can someone do a quick cost of .223?

Primer 40$/1000 = .04
    Bullet 110$/1000 (55gr midway blems) = .11
    Powder 28$/297 (23.5 gr of varget)= .09

So .24 a round if you don't include brass....

The issue with 223 and really any rifle with a necked cartridge is that you end up spending 2x's the amount of time prepping cases. So you have to decide what your time is worth.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Reloading equipment is just as scarce as ammunition these days. If you can gather the material and equipment, here is my cost break down on bullet cost:

Plated 9mm 124gr = $0.125
    Primer =$0.035
    powder =$0.02
    new brass =$0.35

One reloaded 9mm bullet cost: $0.53

Reuse your brass and the per bullet cost is: $0.18

Cast your own bullets =$0.05
    Now, the bullet cost: $0.13

Based on your data, your "per bullet cost" is $0.125 :D

Using (and reusing) brass already on hand, my current 9mm loads are $0.11 per round. If you're concerned with cost, cast lead bullets are your friend.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    For 45:

1k Berry's bullets (230 RN) $150/1000 = .15
    Powder W231 (4.6 gr) $28/1500 = .018
    Primer 30/1000 = .03
    Total = ~.20 a round

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Primer 40$/1000 = .04
    Bullet 110$/1000 (55gr midway blems) = .11
    Powder 28$/297 (23.5 gr of varget)= .09

The issue with 223 and really any rifle with a necked cartridge is that you end up spending 2x's the amount of time prepping cases. So you have to decide what your time is worth.

It can be brought down buying in bulk. I buy primers 5-10K at a whack along with powder from PV my cost is less than $35 per K
    I just checked my last invoice and also from PV 4K of Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT were delivered for $367 bringing in bullets @ a tad over 9 cents a round. OF course better bullets like 69 gr SMK's are quite a bit more.
    I use TAC and it is in the same price area as most. Again from PV bought in 8# kegs along with primers from PV.
    I did the math down to the penny last fall and Im pretty sure I came in about 18 cents per round.

But of course even using brass on hand you must factor in cleaning media, polish, case lube which are all very small costs. Fraction of a cent per round. BUT getting the extra stuff like the RT1200 trimmer, dies, tool head etc is the inital cost that does need to be considered.

I just got thru preping 3-4K of brass and still have to swage it all. I hate reloading. But I would never be able to shoot as much if I didnt like most of us.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I did the math down to the penny last fall and Im pretty sure I came in about 18 cents per round.

I just got thru preping 3-4K of brass and still have to swage it all. I hate reloading. But I would never be able to shoot as much if I didnt like most of us.

Whether 18 cents a round or 24 cents a round, that's quite a bit less than factory is going for right now, when you can find it.

Where you guys lose me is when you say you hate reloading or have to calculate the value of your time. Maybe that's a by-product of loading so many of the same thing, which makes it boring? For me, loading a variety of rifle and pistol cartridges, I absolutely cherish the time I get to spend at the reloading bench! I especially enjoy case preparation. Where others find tedium and look at it as a "chore", I find tremendous relaxation and a sense of accomplishment.

I don't just load ammo to hear something go "bang!" I load ammo that allows me to share time with my family, or ammo that lets me shoot very small groups at long distances, or ammo that helps me ethically harvest a deer or two for the freezer each fall.

Maybe if all I needed ammo for was banging away with an AR, I'd hate reloading too? I'm sure glad that ain't the case at all! Heck, if I didn't save a penny reloading, I just got better ammo and got to enjoy the process of making it myself, I'd still be rolling my own.

:ingo:

Top Bottom