• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well, I should have my .45 pretty soon and I'll be reloading to save cost on ammo. My uncle is also wanting to reload .45's. I've been searching around for bullets, powders, etc.

My uncle will be shooting them out of a H&K USP45 Tactical, mine will be out of a cheaper 1911, either RIA or ATI. I'd like jacketed bullets so there is no lead fouling left behind but I'm having trouble deciding which ones are best for plinking at a reasonable cost. Hornady's are always nice but they cost so much more compared to others. I was looking at Rainier's on MidwayUSA but I think they are plated and not jacketed. For powder I'm thinking either Titegroup, Clays, or HS-6. I'll probably go with HS-6 since it gives a bit more room for error and my uncle has never reloaded before.

Any input from other reloaders on their .45ACP loads would be great. I only reload .308 and 22-250 as of right now so reloading this round will be completely new to me.

Thanks INGO!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've heard good things about Precision Delta. Also, you can save more if you go with lead from Two Alpha. Just ordered 2k of 200gr RNFP for $155, shipped.

Precision Delta - Competition Ammunition

Home

That's extremely cheap! Is lead just as good as plated and jacketed bullets though? After looking through topics on here about them I got the impression they would tear up your barrel and were pretty much, "evil" :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I don't think it's harder on your barrel. My opinion is that the barrel will last longer with lead since it is a softer metal and won't wear out the rifling as fast. I'm no expert, just my thoughts. I shoot lead only out of all of my 1911s now.

A member I know from Castboolits.gunloads.com that has been reloading for 30 some years taught me how to and he shoots nothing but lead rounds out of his Para. He did mention not to go back and forth between lead and jacketed without using wipeout to remove the copper fouling since the high heat can have a soldering effect on the lead/copper.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I use Clays. It's been a real clean-burning powder, and meters well for me.

I was looking at Clays on the Hodgdon website. Not much room for error, which means it's going to burn really clean. I actually like the idea of using Clays much more than HS-6. I might just let him buy whatever powder he wants and stick to Clays for myself. I'm not worried about the small fraction with my digital scale.

Also, do you shoot lead, plated, or jacketed bullets with it? And what bullet profile/weight do you use?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    clays, hs-6 are both good powders, I've been using the new Winchester WST which is similar to the old W231, clean burning

If I had a choice I would take WST, HS6, Clays in that order,

I hate unique and bullseye, those are the dirtiest powders I've ever used.

If it was me I would probably load jacked for the HK but 200 gr swc for the 1911, leading is not as big an issue as some post, keep you Velocity down to a target load and you can go 1500 rnds before any leading and then one cleaning and your good for another 1500 rounds, and as the barrel wears and smooths up that round count will go up.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I don't think it's harder on your barrel. My opinion is that the barrel will last longer with lead since it is a softer metal and won't wear out the rifling as fast. I'm no expert, just my thoughts. I shoot lead only out of all of my 1911s now.

A member I know from Castboolits.gunloads.com that has been reloading for 30 some years taught me how to and he shoots nothing but lead rounds out of his Para. He did mention not to go back and forth between lead and jacketed without using wipeout to remove the copper fouling since the high heat can have a soldering effect on the lead/copper.

Thanks for the heads up! My uncle doesn't like to clean his guns after he shoots. I usually do it for him because I can't stand to see the carbon build up on a nice H&K like he has. Does your 1911 prefer the flat nose or round nose style better? Or does it matter? I was reading reviews on some of the Rainier's and people had feeding problems with the round nose because of how "pointy" it was compared to a ball type of bullet. I prefer round nose mostly because of looks, but I'd rather have less jams and the ammo look funny than the ammo look good and not function properly...

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    clays, hs-6 are both good powders, I've been using the new Winchester WST which is similar to the old W231, clean burning

If I had a choice I would take WST, HS6, Clays in that order,

I hate unique and bullseye, those are the dirtiest powders I've ever used.

If it was me I would probably load jacked for the HK but 200 gr swc for the 1911, leading is not as big an issue as some post, keep you Velocity down to a target load and you can go 1500 rnds before any leading and then one cleaning and your good for another 1500 rounds, and as the barrel wears and smooths up that round count will go up.

I wasn't even aware Winchester made powder! :laugh: I'll have to look into that one.

Yeah, I'm thinking jacketed for the H&K also. Sometimes I think he loves that gun more than his family lol. Main reason I'm asking these questions is because we'd be ordering a lot of both bullets and powder and just splitting the cost since we'd have a hazmat fee on the order.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I can't use SWC in mine. The 1911 I shoot most of the time is a Kimber Ultra Carry. The 3" models with the ramp built into the barrel don't seem to dig the SWC profile as much. I'm told with some tuning on the gun it gets better but I have yet to do that. It's on the list though.

I like to use the 200gr RNFP the most. As soon as my 2K boolit order comes in, I'll be stuffing plenty of cases. What side of town are you on? I shoot at Pops on my lunch break if you'd like to try a few of my reloads.

EDIT: Just saw you were in Muncie, lunch blast-o-rama will prob be an issue...

Thanks for the heads up! My uncle doesn't like to clean his guns after he shoots. I usually do it for him because I can't stand to see the carbon build up on a nice H&K like he has. Does your 1911 prefer the flat nose or round nose style better? Or does it matter? I was reading reviews on some of the Rainier's and people had feeding problems with the round nose because of how "pointy" it was compared to a ball type of bullet. I prefer round nose mostly because of looks, but I'd rather have less jams and the ammo look funny than the ammo look good and not function properly...

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I can't use SWC in mine. The 1911 I shoot most of the time is a Kimber Ultra Carry. The 3" models with the ramp built into the barrel don't seem to dig the SWC profile as much. I'm told with some tuning on the gun it gets better but I have yet to do that. It's on the list though.

I like to use the 200gr RNFP the most. As soon as my 2K boolit order comes in, I'll be stuffing plenty of cases. What side of town are you on? I shoot at Pops on my lunch break if you'd like to try a few of my reloads.

EDIT: Just saw you were in Muncie, lunch blast-o-rama will prob be an issue...

I'm glad you said RN! :rockwoot: I prefer the look of the RN over the SWC anyways, so that's what I'll be ordering for sure now!

Haha, yeah, would be a great lunch break, but by the time I get up and down to Indy you'd probably be heading back to work :noway: I appreciate the offer and I'd take you up on it if we were closer.

I really appreciate all of the information from you guys. Got my list all set and ready to go I think. Now it's just saving time so I can get my components ordered and my gun at about the same time! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Awesome, have a great time reloading and let us know how the loads work out for ya.

:ar15:

I'm glad you said RN! :rockwoot: I prefer the look of the RN over the SWC anyways, so that's what I'll be ordering for sure now!

Haha, yeah, would be a great lunch break, but by the time I get up and down to Indy you'd probably be heading back to work :noway: I appreciate the offer and I'd take you up on it if we were closer.

I really appreciate all of the information from you guys. Got my list all set and ready to go I think. Now it's just saving time so I can get my components ordered and my gun at about the same time! :rockwoot:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm sorta surprised he doesn't like to clean it.

Powder wise, right now it is Titegroup, 4.5 gr, crimp @ .471, OAL @ 1.202, with Winchester LPP.

Had a friend give me a pound of Bullseye for my birthday. I've not used it before.

I've actually never seen him clean a single firearm of his come to think of it... but he does work like 75 hours a week and when he's off work he's usually in the barn fixing a boat or car or RV of someone's for extra money... so I understand him not really having time. Plus I like cleaning them. I tore apart his Colt AR this past weekend. I don't think it had been cleaned for a couple of years. I knew it needed cleaned when it was jamming a ton and there was carbon leaking out onto the dust cover with the oil.

That load sounds good. I always hear about Titegroup and Clays. I'll let him pick between those two or HS-6 and probably start off with the lowest recommended charge for the first batch or two.

Come to think of it... I see myself doing all of the actual reloading since he's always at work... :laugh: Guess I'll try and talk him into buying a progressive press so I'm not doing it all on my single stage :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I have Lee Loadmaster, but use a single stage since I'm so new to this reloading hobby. Don't want to hurt myself right out of the gate.

I've actually never seen him clean a single firearm of his come to think of it... but he does work like 75 hours a week and when he's off work he's usually in the barn fixing a boat or car or RV of someone's for extra money... so I understand him not really having time. Plus I like cleaning them. I tore apart his Colt AR this past weekend. I don't think it had been cleaned for a couple of years. I knew it needed cleaned when it was jamming a ton and there was carbon leaking out onto the dust cover with the oil.

That load sounds good. I always hear about Titegroup and Clays. I'll let him pick between those two or HS-6 and probably start off with the lowest recommended charge for the first batch or two.

Come to think of it... I see myself doing all of the actual reloading since he's always at work... :laugh: Guess I'll try and talk him into buying a progressive press so I'm not doing it all on my single stage :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Just cleaned my AR last night. Gets pretty filthy after 500 .22LR rounds. That CMMG conversion kit makes shooting it much more affordable though.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Just cleaned my AR last night. Gets pretty filthy after 500 .22LR rounds. That CMMG conversion kit makes shooting it much more affordable though.

Haha that's how I used his this weekend. Well, it's not a CMMG conversion, I actually don't know what kind it is, but I pulled his .223 bolt out and my hand was black from it.

But yeah, I will make the first batch on my single stage to get the hang of it, after that I'll need at least a turret to do more than 100 at a time. 500-1,000 will take forever on a single state :):

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've shot plenty of plated bullets through my Kimber 1911 and have not encountered any issue with lead fouling. My current load is a Berry's 230 gr RN over 4.2 gr of Bullseye. Bullseye is dirty as all get out, but it's cheap and is very common. Once the Bullseye runs out I'm going to switch to Titegroup, which is what I use for my 9mm loads. It's a lot cleaner than bullseye and meters really well.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    It is taking forever. I've got 2 kids under 2yrs and don't get out to the garage till bout 9pm. So, it has taken me a couple weeks of a here and there hour at night to deprime, resize, bell and prime 2000 cases. But, I enjoy it and it beats getting stuck watching something ridiculous like "Dancing with the Stars". After this set of 2000, I plan on reloading 100 at a time as they get shot up.

Haha that's how I used his this weekend. Well, it's not a CMMG conversion, I actually don't know what kind it is, but I pulled his .223 bolt out and my hand was black from it.

But yeah, I will make the first batch on my single stage to get the hang of it, after that I'll need at least a turret to do more than 100 at a time. 500-1,000 will take forever on a single state :):

Top Bottom