• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I normally load my reloads right in the middle of recommended load chart. Using this method allows my rounds to produce very comfortable recoil and accurate placement, with my pistols. My question is, should I load to the recommended maximum in order to produce accurate placement in an AR platform or should my current pistol load achieve the same result?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I normally load my reloads right in the middle of recommended load chart. Using this method allows my rounds to produce very comfortable recoil and accurate placement, with my pistols. My question is, should I load to the recommended maximum in order to produce accurate placement in an AR platform or should my current pistol load achieve the same result?
    That just depends, I have loaded as low as 20.0 gr of Acc. 2230, and had good accuracy, and worked the action, and then my "match" loads, are around 23 gr. .....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Que: I'm not a reloader, so take this for what you will:

You're probably going to have to tailor your loads to your AR.

You might find a powder weight / bullet weight / primer combination that's simply the bees knees out of the rifle.

Start out using the same loads for both guns and see how they work in the AR. Go from there... Bumping up powder charge to see if that helps or hinders.

Or perhaps your pistol loads are entirely adequate for rifle use. In which case: Win!

-J-

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I find that my AR functions better with heavy bullets and hotter loads. I'm currently using 130 gr cast RN bullets and I think 6.8 grs of Blue Dot. They crono'd out of the AR at around 1300 fps. My 9mm loads for pistol are a 121 gr SW cast and I think around 3 grs of Bullseye, much lighter loading.

Part of the loading for the AR will probably depend upon which buffer you are using, heavy or standard weight.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Que,

My personal find on my 9mm pistol loads did not work as well in my 9mm AR. I had to up the charge to get the results I was looking for out of my 9mm AR. Just my :twocents:.

Now my pistol loads worked so if I was just out with some friends and didn't feel like using the hotter loads they worked just fine for hitting steel.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm inquiring about this because I can hit the gong at 100 yards 100% of the time with the cheapest 9mm factory ammo, but my reloads are all over the place. It's a Rock River Arms 9mm Mid A4 with a 16 inch Chrome Moly barrel with 1/10 twist.

I will create about five different loads with the 124 grn round nose bullets I have on hand. Hopefully, I can find the sweet spot. This is mostly to achieve long distance accuracy, but I'm sure I'll have no trouble shooting what I have for FNS.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm inquiring about this because I can hit the gong at 100 yards 100% of the time with the cheapest 9mm factory ammo, but my reloads are all over the place. It's a Rock River Arms 9mm Mid A4 with a 16 inch Chrome Moly barrel with 1/10 twist.

I will create about five different loads with the 124 grn round nose bullets I have on hand. Hopefully, I can find the sweet spot. This is mostly to achieve long distance accuracy, but I'm sure I'll have no trouble shooting what I have for FNS.

Ah, I better understand the question. Play not only with the loadings but the bullet weight. You may find better long range accuracy with the 147 gr.

Top Bottom