• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    Ok just got a 357 I have loaded a few 38 for my uncle but it is always new brass I got some once fired brass in 38 and 357 my ? Is why does some brass after I size it not fit well in the cyl. Some r tight and some fit perfect? I would think the die would take they all to the same size? Any help would b great. Thanks

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    could be a couple of things:

1. your chambers could be either dirty or worn/miscut
    2. your die is a bit out of spec
    3. you've got different thicknesses in the walls of your case, causing different degrees of spring-back after sizing

your die should size them all the same. i'd clean everything thoroughly, especially the chambers in your gun and separate the cases by headstamp and go from there.
    if you don't have a caliper, now would be a good time to get a decent one.
    just my .002.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    do have a caliper have been reloading for some time now just never for revolver. the only spot is right at the bottom of the brass right above the rim. just enough not to let the brass drop all the way in the cyl. just did not know if this is common with some brass for a revolver. thanks

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i've never had a problem like the one you describe. the only time i've come close to that is when i've accidentally mixed a .357 in with my 38s and no, they won't chamber at all, thankfully! I wish i had an answer for you!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Ck your cases for uniform length and get a case trimmer. Brass will stretch differently between manufacturers and how many times it has been reloaded.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've had similar problems; loaded ammo wont chamber in the cylinders. It's usually just a small percentage, and I think had to do with the expander die going a bit too deep into the case. I've ended up removing the decapping pin,then resizing the finished ammo. Usually works. Also, the sizing die stops above the rim by 1/8 in. or so, at least on my basic Lee press. Seems like this could cause issues, and I've thrown some rounds away in the past where I just don't really know what caused the problem..

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Make sure when you are resizing for your 357 loads that you are not usuing the spacer in the die kit. You dont use it on the decapping, resizing stage. It will not size down far enough and will barely chamber in your pistol.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If you followed all the above advice and are still having problems I highly recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die as the last step in your reloading. The die not only puts a prefect crimp but also re-sizes the finished bullet on both the up and down stroke of the press, (has a carbide ring in the base). I have this die for all the straight walled pistol cartridges I reload for and it works wonders on the finished product. It's an extra step but you end up with a much better cartridge. It's one of those things you wonder how you got along without it after you use it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    As long as your sizing die is scrwwed down so it is just shy of touching your shellholder, it should size all the cases down to fit. Most sizing dies size teh case to smaller than chamber dimensions. thats why you neck size only for accurate rifle loads, because the shell is already foreformed to your chamber.

What kind of dies are you using? Are they fairly old? I had an older set of Bair Cub dies and they were junk. not sure if they were manufactured out of spec, or if fifty plus years of use had worn them out. I don't think of a reloading die as a wear out item, but I guess everything wears with use.

I woudn't worry too much about handgun brass stretching too far unless you've got a really tight chamber. I've got some .357 brass that I've loaded hot dozends of times and it's still well within spec. Might be worth it to measure a few cases just to check.

Good luck,
    Doug K

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    Thanks guys. The dies I have is a old set of lymans that my uncle had. That was gonna be my first step was to get a new set of dies and try them, as for the lee factory crimp I do have them for my other cals I load for and yes I do agree they r nice. Was gettin one of them any way for the 357.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If the chambers are clean and the brass isn't damaged I'd guess you were overexpanding. One of the many reasons I love the Lee factory crimp die. not only does it do an awesome crimp, it post sizes. If the round will run through the die, it'll chamber.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    the chambers r clean the rounds will go in them just will not fall all the way down on the rim of the brass they stop just above maybe a 1/16 or so just a little bulge right there in the brass you can push them the rest of the way with ur finger or by closing the revolver then even after shootin they will come out with the ejector. Just some fall all the way in the chambers and some just shy of it was wondering if it was brass or old dies. Thanks

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Reading the posts here, my thought is that maybe the last load in the brass that's not going all the way into the chamber was maybe a little too hot and the brass expanded on firing. Those of you with experience, please pick this apart if I'm off base on it... I have never done any reloading and don't base this from any experience in that area, it just seemed to make sense logically.

Thanks

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom