• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    Why doesn't somebody open a decent reloading supply store in central Indiana. The Outdoorsman in Greenwood is ok, Gander Mountain might as well get out of the buisness, Plainfield Shooting Supplies doesn't have much. It's getting to the point where the reloaders have to mail order everything. :rockwoot:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    There use to be one on the south west side but not enough reloaders to support it.

Bummer to as they had quality and quantity components.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Because the margin is extremely low. A decent retail establishment needs to charge anywhere from 120 to 160% markup over wholesale depending on volume. The higher the volume (think gas and groceries) the lower the markup. Most consumers now do not want to pay that level of markup since they can "see" lower prices on the internet.

The only real use of reloading supplies in a store is as a draw to bring in customers who would buy other higher markup items while they are there. Shelf space and inventory costs money.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    ABCD Reloading (I think) went under due to low support. IF you have the time and in no hurry, check estate sales for componet parts. Most people don't know the price of molds and brass. You can amass an ammo armory, with little investigation.
    STARLINE BRASS helps with NO shipping factory direct.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Why doesn't somebody open a decent reloading supply store in central Indiana. The Outdoorsman in Greenwood is ok, Gander Mountain might as well get out of the buisness, Plainfield Shooting Supplies doesn't have much. It's getting to the point where the reloaders have to mail order everything. :rockwoot:

heh, where do you think they get all their stuff from :D

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've looked a a few wholesale component dealers and have concluded that about the only way to make a reloading business profitable is to do high volume. And, that would be great if components of all types were readily available. They're not and I don't think the local market can sustain it, despite the comments posted here (let alone my hopes).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Friend and I have been considering opening one here in the Crawfordsville area. We are roughly an hours' drive from three cities, easy highway access from all of them, should be a decent market.

Thing is, we are becoming convinced that most of the traffic we would see would be folks eyeballing the stuff, then going home and searching the internet to save $5 or $10, without even bothering to take into account the cost of shipping. Then there are the people for whom the drive isn't worth it to keep a local store open, and who would complain about no stores, while sitting at home ordering off the internet. We're worried it would be hard to make enough money to keep the doors open, much less have anything to take home to support the family. It's even more of a problem considering that components are just now starting to become fairly available again.

Maybe if I ever win the lottery I'll do it as a hobby.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    The problem is that everybody goes to the shops and expect internet prices. In my Galyans days, our mark up on reloading supplies was 30% on most items and we were still higher than many of the web stores. I agree though, I wish there was a place too.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    i used to shot A to Z as well. They had good prices and would get you just about anything you could think of. I heard they went under because they didn't like to pay their suppliers. Also why they had such good prices! Whatever their business practices, I do miss having them around.

Most stores that have reloading stuff, will get you whatever powders you want, if it's available. Just ask. yes, the price may be a few bucks higher than online, but if you figure shipping and the stupid HazMat fee, it's cheaper to buy local.

Doug K
    Doug K

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The problem is that everybody goes to the shops and expect internet prices. In my Galyans days, our mark up on reloading supplies was 30% on most items and we were still higher than many of the web stores. I agree though, I wish there was a place too.

I would be fine paying 30% markup to buy local. Gander Mountain is 100% markup or more.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I reload a lot and buy powder/primers/bullets in bulk. It makes more sense for me to buy online and pay the hazmat fee and shipping fees as the cost is below any local retailer. At the last 1500, I was going to buy a 5lb bottle of powder and they wanted $35 more for it than I can buy it for online! I had held off ordering online in hopes of finding it locally, but non of the stores carry it except for Outdoorsman and they don't carry it in the 5lb bottle and to buy it by the smaller bottle would cost me $93 more than I can order it for! I drove all over South Central Indiana to try and find this stuff and while I try to support the little guy, I don't like being bent over like that.

I understand they gotta eat, but they can eat hamburger like me.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Friend and I have been considering opening one here in the Crawfordsville area. We are roughly an hours' drive from three cities, easy highway access from all of them, should be a decent market.

Sign me up as your first customer if you do open a store. I live north of Rockville and would be willing to drive to your shop even if it costs a little more than the internet.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm considering opening a reloading shop here in Central Indiana. Problem being is that to start a business, you need a decent inventory, and things are too hard to get at the moment. Serious reloaders are creatures of habit, and when you can't supply the exact product they need, they go somewhere else. Give it a year, if things loosen up, its a possibility.

In progress of putting together a mail order shop for reloading supplies too, if you only have two or three employees, its not that difficult to keep everyone paid. Been there, done that. The other problem is that I'd need a physical location (read: barn, out building) outside the city limits to set up shop.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    My thought is to open a company up as an ammunition maker.

First offering re-manufactured target ammunition in popular pistol calibers/weights. Then popular rifle cartridges.

If that goes well, a sideline would be becoming a reloading equipment dealer, teach classes, and sell components. Also would sell whatever outdoorsy/tactical gear we could do well with (mag pouches, lights, knives, etc.) Maybe even AR15 parts, uppers and such.

Me and a buddy are seriously thinking about this, since the current ammo shortage doesn't seem to be abating any.

Top Bottom