• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've have recently gotten the itch to start reloading, but I definitely need to do some more studying on the subject. With that being said, what are some of the better books/videos/etc on reloading? I would really like to get valuable information without having to buy the entire bookstore!

Once I've read some more I would like to start reloading. Granted my father has reloaded in the past so I guess I wouldn't be a complete amateur. My first reloads would be .40 S&W (Glock 23) and then branch out after I acquire some more guns (Recent college graduate). At this time and after reading several threads, I believe I would purchase a Dillon 550B progressive press. The fact that this loader should last a large amount of my remaining years along with what I have read about the amazing customer service, are both strong pulling factors. Also it comes with one select caliber upon purchase which is nice. I know it is brought up every week, but what are everyone's opinions on the different presses out now?

Lastly, what are the key essentials on a good grocery list for reloading? A general idea on prices of primers, powder, and bullets would be awesome. If so please feel free to comment with exact specifications on reloading as I will read it all! I know it's rather lengthy and sort of combining multiple posts, but getting good information is always the best decision maker.

Thanks in advance for all the advice, good or bad!
    TK

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I would suggest taking a class from Profire in Indy. I know it is a little bit of a drive but it is so worth it. You will also get straight advise on what you need and don't need. They have a 550B, XL650 and 1050 that you can run and see what you like the best before making a purchasing decision. Their classes fill up pretty fast so call and get on the list.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would suggest taking a class from Profire in Indy. I know it is a little bit of a drive but it is so worth it. You will also get straight advise on what you need and don't need. They have a 550B, XL650 and 1050 that you can run and see what you like the best before making a purchasing decision. Their classes fill up pretty fast so call and get on the list.

Glad you shared this! I had no idea about it!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As far as books go...

The ABCs of Reloading is a good overall starter book that includes the basics spelled out in plain language.

Of course there is also the Lyman reloading handbook. I think the current version is the 49th addition. This is more technical in nature.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What would be even cooler would be if you were able to track down an INGOer close to where you are to help tutor you and help set up your reloading bench for the first time.
    I'd be willing to bet that lots of guys out there would be willing to do that for a nice meal and maybe a few games of euchre.
    ;)

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana

I've read several past threads suggesting the same thing. It definitely looks like the real deal. The one downfall at first glance is that classes are on Thursday evenings. Currently I work in Bowling Green, KY which makes travel time almost impossible. Maybe something will work out to where I could squeeze one in though!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you're near Bloomington, u can come reload some with me (I mostly reload 38/357, but process is not drastically different among pistol calibers)

Also **NOTE: .40 Glock chamber 22/23/27** are infamous for the "Glock bulge" Look this up.
    9mm, .45, .38/357 are generally a bit easier to reload (especially considering they're coming from a GLock chamber to be reused in a Glock chamber)

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    primers run 30-40 per 1000, Powder is 20-25 a pound depending on what kind. I use plated bullets from xtreme and 9mm are about 40 per 500 not sure on 40. I started on a single stage press and still use it. Check you tube there are some good videos on reloading.Powder and primers I get at gunshows because online they charge a hazmat fee and unless you buy in bulk it is not a good deal. Get some reloading books and you can also go to powder manufacturers website and get load info there. I like the modern reloading by Richard lee book the best for load info.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    primers run 30-40 per 1000, Powder is 20-25 a pound depending on what kind. I use plated bullets from xtreme and 9mm are about 40 per 500 not sure on 40. I started on a single stage press and still use it. Check you tube there are some good videos on reloading.Powder and primers I get at gunshows because online they charge a hazmat fee and unless you buy in bulk it is not a good deal. Get some reloading books and you can also go to powder manufacturers website and get load info there. I like the modern reloading by Richard lee book the best for load info.

^^^^This is good info^^^^^

I have been lucky enough to have some buddies that reload and we will let each other know if we are placing a hazmat order and then max out the limit for one hazmat fee. It brings down the primers to about $25 per 1000 and you don't have to deal with only being able to purchase 1 or 2 thousand at a time. We buy 25,000 at a time from Grafs.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I would be glad to have you stop by and reload some 40 S&W (I have the dies). I have a Dillon 550B and everything needed (powder, brass, bullets, etc.). I also have an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press. I'd recommend starting with the single stage press and loading perhaps 50 rounds on it just to learn how to set each die and what the loading procedures are and get a feel for each stage. Then setup the 550B and load a few hundred rounds. I'm in Castleton, indyjackjr on gmail.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I agree. Andrew is the go 2 guy for reloading. I attended a class in his home approx 5 yrs ago, and have been addicted ever since ! If anybody in NE IN needs advice or help, I will gladly volunteer to advise. Just let me know.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Don't forget to get a set of really good electronic calipers and also the drop in ammo gauges for each caliber you will be reloading.

scooter 583

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    As far as books go...

The ABCs of Reloading is a good overall starter book that includes the basics spelled out in plain language.

Of course there is also the Lyman reloading handbook. I think the current version is the 49th addition. This is more technical in nature.

I am new to reloading, would a reloading handbook be a good investment, or can I rely on info from powder manufactures sites?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I am new to reloading, would a reloading handbook be a good investment, or can I rely on info from powder manufactures sites?

There is far more general reloading information in manuals than you will find from the powder manufactures sites. You may also find that there are differences in load data between the two. It is always a good idea to cross reference and consider the data from more than one source.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Seconded on buying manuals rather than relying exclusively on powder manufacturers' website data.
    If you're using several different manufacturer's bullets, I highly recommend the Lyman manual, since they have data for various manufacturers, and yes, even identical weight and shape bullets from different manufacturers can require different load data.
    The best way to go about getting manuals IMNSHO is to find a local store that has them, then look for data specific to your bullet/cartridge choices.
    You can either buy the manuals that you like from perusing them there, or make a note to yourself to buy those specific ones to buy online or elsewhere if the brick-and-mortar store's prices for them are exorbitant.

Top Bottom