• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Since all of my previous manuals were getting a long in the tooth, when I started back up loading, I decided to pick up a new one. Unfortunately, I let price be my guide and picked up the Lee Modern Reloading, 2nd edition. What I have a question on is their load data for a 200 gr lead bullet in 45 acp with Bullseye powder... they show a starting load of 4.0 grains with a 'never exceed' of 4.0... what the heck? I realize that some manuals are more conservative than others but I am used to some range to work within. Is this just a typo or they really adamant about it.

Also, does anyone have a good load for a 230 gr Hornady XTP, also in 45acp with Bullseye?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since all of my previous manuals were getting a long in the tooth, when I started back up loading, I decided to pick up a new one. Unfortunately, I let price be my guide and picked up the Lee Modern Reloading, 2nd edition. What I have a question on is their load data for a 200 gr lead bullet in 45 acp with Bullseye powder... they show a starting load of 4.0 grains with a 'never exceed' of 4.0... what the heck? I realize that some manuals are more conservative than others but I am used to some range to work within. Is this just a typo or they really adamant about it.

Also, does anyone have a good load for a 230 gr Hornady XTP, also in 45acp with Bullseye?

LMAO... Would be kinda nice to have a range to work within. I also have the same Lee manual.

Now, according to Speer # 13, a 200 gr SWC with bullseye would start at 4.2 and max would be 4.6 I have found a good length for the SWC for my XD's for feeding is 1.25. Now, that will change if these are round nose.

If your going to use the Alliant line of powders, you can call and request their free reloaders guide. ( 800) 276-9337. Note, they only list (1) charge and it will be max ! You'll want to reduce 10 % to start.

My 14th edition Hornandy manual doesnt have the 230 gr XTP listed. You could call and talk to the lab. The number there is 1-800-338-3220. If I remember right, the data will be a little different than a standard 230 gr due to the different design. Also, dont forget to ask seating depths. Good luck !

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I often check the websites of the powder manufacturers. I know that Alliant has data for many calibers and bullet weights using Bullseye.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Thanks! I will try calling Hornady Monday. I had sent them an email and they responded saying they would send the data later that day but that never happened.

I see Alliant powder has a recipe for 230gr Gold Dots... that should be about the same as the XTP, right?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see Alliant powder has a recipe for 230gr Gold Dots... that should be about the same as the XTP, right?

I wouldn't know about that. I would use data straight from the Speer book. Speer does say not to use standard 230 gr data when loading their gold dots. They actually have a section for just the gold dots.

According to their 13th edition manual, they say for the 230 gr and Bullseye that 4.5 is starting and 5.0 max. Load with tha AOL at 1.200.

If your going to buy the premium Gold dots, might consider trying one of their higher performance powders. I have always liked the results using the Alliant Blue Dot with both the 200 & 230 gr Gold Dots. It's much cleaner burning and you can get better velocities, but at the expense of using considerably more powder.

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's probably a good recommendation for Bullseye. My gunsmith has a customer's slide that was destroyed by an overcharge of Bullseye in 45 ACP. Ugly.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's probably a good recommendation for Bullseye. My gunsmith has a customer's slide that was destroyed by an overcharge of Bullseye in 45 ACP. Ugly.

+1 While Bullseye is very economical, it easily allows for a double charge. Thru the years, the slowest powder I have used has been unique. In the .45 case, you could still probably get a double charge in if not paying attention.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    If it were me, I'd step up to the pump and get the Lyman manual. I have used most of all the others and keep going back to Lyman. JMHO.
    Later, Bob

Top Bottom