• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My overall favorite is the Lyman manual because they don't stick to just one bullet, as Speer and the other bullet makers will, and they don't stick to just one manufacturer of powder the way that Hodgdon (they own Winchester and IMR as well) does.
    However, I have found the best solution of all: www.loaddata.com
    Yes, it's a yearly subscription service, but that subscription is $25/year, about the cost of one of the cheaper manuals, but you get the benefit of having all of the manuals out there in their current and even many older editions, plus lots of data from other sources, in one place.
    I also like not having to find space for yet another manual, since I already have nearly a dozen, and they're rather bulky.
    Check it out.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lyman's 49th edition is also a good one.
    Remember one thing though. Manuals will eventually go out of date. Keep up on current info.

A second on the Lyman 49th----I have several manuals(I do a lot of loading)-------my opinion---Lyman's is Number one

tallend

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I like the Lyman as well, but also use Speer, Hornady, Lee, and Nosler manuals. AS someone mentioned above, it's always good to have multiple sources. Plus there is the info published online by the powder manufacturers, but I like having the printed material too.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My overall favorite is the Lyman manual because they don't stick to just one bullet, as Speer and the other bullet makers will, and they don't stick to just one manufacturer of powder the way that Hodgdon (they own Winchester and IMR as well) does.
    However, I have found the best solution of all: www.loaddata.com
    Yes, it's a yearly subscription service, but that subscription is $25/year, about the cost of one of the cheaper manuals, but you get the benefit of having all of the manuals out there in their current and even many older editions, plus lots of data from other sources, in one place.
    I also like not having to find space for yet another manual, since I already have nearly a dozen, and they're rather bulky.
    Check it out.
    Thanks! Lyman 49th ordered and I'll also be subscribing to this site.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    When you get them both do a follow up and let us know which you think is better. Just a hint (check out the 9mm section of both first).

+1

Also: Profire used to have different loading manuals for purchase, so you could thumb through them and see what you liked or didn't like. But this is when they had their retail store on Rockville Road. You might give them a call and see what they now have in stock at their new location:

Warehouse Location: (behind the Red Cross)
    1518 East Washington St, Ste 300
    Indianapolis, IN 46201
    317-757-8132

Summer Hours:
    Hours: Wednesday, 10am-6pm
    Saturday, 10am-4pm

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have never figured out how you keep the fur on them when the velocities go past 750 fps ?

:ugh: CAST bullets...Im sure you figured that part. Long day yesterday, with another one today. Then Monday starts 12 hour days again at work. Oh well...

Side question on manuals, does anyone other than Lyman have a manual dedicated to cast???

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    +1

Also: Profire used to have different loading manuals for purchase, so you could thumb through them and see what you liked or didn't like. But this is when they had their retail store on Rockville Road. You might give them a call and see what they now have in stock at their new location:

Warehouse Location: (behind the Red Cross)
    1518 East Washington St, Ste 300
    Indianapolis, IN 46201
    317-757-8132

Summer Hours:
    Hours: Wednesday, 10am-6pm
    Saturday, 10am-4pm
    I was there yesterday and nothing mentioned in this thread was in stock. I was able to pick up the "2015 hodgdon basic reloading manual" which seems to have a decent amount of load data for their powders.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I normally point guys to the Lyman, but I've had several people tell me they didn't like the 9mm section.
    So....I'd recommend Speer or Hornady.
    I don't recommend the Lee manual.

I prefer the Hornady book over the Lyman. I have both but the Lyman lacks a lot of load data that the Hornady has. As preface I only load for rifles and have never loaded pistol rounds.

I have found the same thing with my Lyman book. I use my Hornady as they have more loads with the bullet type/weight/powder that I like to use. The Lyman has been a sort of disappointment for me.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Son and I have been reloading for many years, (20 to 30). We probably have 15 ~ 20 manuals. I know you stated you didn't want "instructional" manuals but if you do read through the manuals you may find a lot of information that is quite valuable even for very experienced reloader's. I like the Lyman's, Hodgdon, Hornady but we also have some of the "single caliber manuals. We do cast many bullets but also reload match, hunting and other bullets. Currently we have the capability to reload more than 30 calibers and can cast and size most of these.

A cabaret, the old (pre 1990's) manuals do have "hotter" loads listed than the "new" manuals. This is due (as I have read) to the fact that the current pressure measurement methods indicate the older methods did not measure the pressure spikes as accurately as the new equipment / methods. However as I personally believe (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO OTHERS) that as the safe maximum pressure was determined using these (old) methods. We have loaded to the max listed in the old manuals without incident. Normally we do not load to the maximum listed even in the new manuals as it is much harder on the firearms and the shooter and is unnecessary and even detrimental to accuracy in most cases.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I normally point guys to the Lyman, but I've had several people tell me they didn't like the 9mm section.

Now that I have the Lyman in hand, I fully understand this statement. The 9mm section sucks big time. The more common projectiles seem completely omitted. (115gn FMJ, 124gn FMJ, 125gn LRN)

There is load data for:

JACKETED:

90gr FMJ
    95gr FMJ
    115gr JHP
    125gr JHP
    147gr FMJ

CAST:

90gr RN
    120gn FP
    120gr RN
    147gr FP

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have them all but my go to books are the One Caliber manuals and the Hornady 9th. Of course all I reload is Hornady bullets so that makes sense. ;)

Oh and Chezuki, they include the 124 and 115 FMJ.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom