• ...and so much more!
  • SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    So Im looking at getting progressive press. But I have a phrasal delimma

Note: The new Rifle Bullet Feeder System must be purchased separately from the Hornady® Pistol Bullet Feeder because the hopper systems and die bodies are not compatible."

and hornady has been saying Rifle adapter coming for the pistol feeder system for awhile..

my calibers are lots of 308 lots of 45 and some 9mm

I need guidance and a stiff drink

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I made a point of reading your post through 3 times. And I believe I know the correct response....

So, you're getting a 2nd press huh?

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Nope canceled the AP order due to the above phrase..... so Im still at square 1... I thought the 30 cal conversion was for the pistol bullet feeder but its apparently for a different creature....

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have the case feeder for my Hornady progressive and it works pretty much flawlessly on 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 9mm and .308. Bought all 4 "wheels" to cover sm rifle, small pistol, large rifle and large pistol. Have not had a chance to try other calibers yet but I like it so far.

Bought the bullet feeder die for .45 and tried it with just a tube stuck in the top and loaded it with a stack of 200 gr PRN bullets. I have seen one adapted to the Lee quad tube so you can preload quite a few bullets in it that way too, just to try out the bullet drop die. Can be seen on Youtube. It worked pretty good so far but the bullet hopper/feeder may not be perfected yet. I have not used one but hear it takes lots of adjusting and is fussy so the jury is still out on it as far as I am concerned.

The Lock and Load press itself has worked flawlessly so far, for several thousand rounds and I love it a lot. Best used with larger lots of ammo as the setups take a bit of effort, runs great once it is set up.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Right. The base model rifle bullet feeder is for .223 cal. The .30 cal conversion kit is for that feeder, not the pistol. It's a shame the two systems are very different in design and Hornady wasn't able to make one system work for both pistol and rifle.

So, you're press is going to be blue huh?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The Lock and Load press itself has worked flawlessly so far, for several thousand rounds and I love it a lot. Best used with larger lots of ammo as the setups take a bit of effort, runs great once it is set up.

I really like mine too. I don't have either case or bullet feeder. I just don't have the need to run at that rate.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    How does this sound so far?

Hornady LNL with case feeder
    Mr Bullet Bullet feeder with 45 and 308 adapters
    Hornday full length sizing die
    Dillon low powder alarm

SO it will be for 308

Position 1 case and primer
    Position 2 Powder
    Position 3 Powder Check
    Position 4 Bullet drop and seat
    Position 5 Crimp

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Do you REALLY need a bullet feeder? Do you REALLY need a progressive press for rifle? If you need all this so much, go with a Dillon 1050 and Mr Bullet Feeder or such.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Why cant you add the bullet feeder later on? If your new to reloading take the time to get the basics down. The learning curve is already steep enough with starting on a progressive.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I would suggest starting with a more basic setup.

A progressive press has a small learning curve.

I started with a single stage press, slowly, learned well.

I still have this;
    Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press

I can change calibers in seconds and still be precise, not as fast as a progressive, but I can still load straight wall pistol calibers at a rate of 120 per hr.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    I agree with staring slow and getting the basics down before tackling the progressive. There is a difference in being able to produce quality over quantity. The more variables you introduce in the beginning then the more room for error.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have been loading for 33 years. I have a Hornady L-N-L AP, Rockchucher, and a Lyman All American turret press. In the past two years I loaded 10,000 rounds per year. Before that, some years were less and some were more. I shoot quite a bit, but I do not feel the case and bullet feeders are needed. I would rather handle the cases and bullets. I find split cases by handling and seeing them. When you start wanting to load too fast, you may miss things that will reduced the quality of the ammo. It seems like other experienced reloaders have similar views. Hopefully, you will learn from our experience.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    which ever press you get, doesn't matter because they are all pretty good.
    I think the more important thing is to not try reloading a bunch of different calibers while trying to learn.
    Sounds like you shoot a lot of 45acp, so I would start with that.
    Get your press, dies, etc... and learn all about reloading 45acp.
    After you feel like you have a good grasp on it, then add another caliber like 9mm or 308.
    Just know that reloading for rifle requires more steps and equipment (trim, swage, etc...) so I would not recommend starting with a rifle round.

Top Bottom