• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I am having a real struggle getting started in reloading...someone stole my scale the other day but that is the least of my problems....i cannot seem to get the oal correct...once i set the bullet in the case the top of the bullet is flat and depressed (flat) ....not sure how far to spread the case for the bullet...the bullet spins once i put it in and/or looks damaged around the mouth of the brass...really frustrated getting started...

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Several questions come to mind.

-- As Que asked, tell us a bit about what press a dies you're using.
    -- What caliber are you loading?
    -- What steps are you doing for your reloading (tumble, size/decap, expand, seat, crimp, etc.)?

The flat nose on the bullet could be caused by having a flat-nosed seater stem in your seating die. Check the die box and see if it also comes with a seater stem designed for round nosed bullets.

I have a spare electronic scale you can have if you're willing to make the trip (about 50 minutes south of you). If you want to visit, I'd gladly take you through the basic reloading steps. You could bring your dies if you want. I have a single stage press we could use.

Reloading is so much easier to get started into if you have someone walk you through it! Others were willing to help me when I started and I'd like to return the favor by passing it along.

LMW

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    well right now i am just trying to figure out how to set it up....i am using a single stage rcbs with 9mm rcbs carbide dies......i have three dies...i was just messing with it today without powder ..i bought some copper plated bullets at the 1500 and i have some hornady xtp (?) hollow points ...i have a tumbler with media, once fired brass , wwb , i have resized and deprimed all the brass. i cannot figure out how far to flare the mouth of the brass....too little and setting the bullet crushes the brass...too much and the bullet spins after being set...the other thing i noticed is that the components that came with my dies appear to flatten the fmj and "close"/squeeze the tip of the hollow points. should the die touch the shell holder in each stage of the process? Is getting the oal length a trial and error process? should the bullet be flat at the tip after being set? What cause the bullet to spin? Why is there a wide ring around the bullet at the mouth of the case that doesnt look right? This is just making me feel stupid...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I put all the answers for you guys in the previous post...I can provide pics if you want..thanks

I think LMW has that exact set up. If I were you, I would take him up on his offer. You will be able to run through the steps and immediately test your loads. :yesway: Also, you would definitely learn a great deal from a class at Profire Arms.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i will ..thanks..i have never been to profire...i did do a trade with aszerigan but my wife delivered it for me..the trade included 4 free transfers so i will be getting in there soon for four firearms (22rl 17hmr and about 5 lowers)...i will try to make it to the store when they have the next class...when and where is it at?
    I think LMW has that exact set up. If I were you, I would take him up on his offer. You will be able to run through the steps and immediately test your loads. :yesway: Also, you would definitely learn a great deal from a class at Profire Arms.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Sizing Die - screw it in till it touches the shell holder with the ram raised and then slightly turn back out 1/8 turn and tighten.

Powder Die - screw it in till it touches the shell holder then back it out one full turn and tighten.

Seating Die - screw it in till it touches the shell holder then back it out 3 full turns and lightly tighten. If you are also using this die to crimp then slightly turn it in until you feel it touch the brass case with a bullet seated then very slightly turn it in further till you achieve the proper crimp. Usually around .002 crimp which isn't much. Keep in mind that until you find the sweet spot for the crimp you'll have to adjust the knob on top upwards to prevent seating to deep.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    i will ..thanks..i have never been to profire...i did do a trade with aszerigan but my wife delivered it for me..the trade included 4 free transfers so i will be getting in there soon for four firearms (22rl 17hmr and about 5 lowers)...i will try to make it to the store when they have the next class...when and where is it at?

Here you go.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Several questions come to mind.

-- As Que asked, tell us a bit about what press a dies you're using.
    -- What caliber are you loading?
    -- What steps are you doing for your reloading (tumble, size/decap, expand, seat, crimp, etc.)?

The flat nose on the bullet could be caused by having a flat-nosed seater stem in your seating die. Check the die box and see if it also comes with a seater stem designed for round nosed bullets.

I have a spare electronic scale you can have if you're willing to make the trip (about 50 minutes south of you). If you want to visit, I'd gladly take you through the basic reloading steps. You could bring your dies if you want. I have a single stage press we could use.

Reloading is so much easier to get started into if you have someone walk you through it! Others were willing to help me when I started and I'd like to return the favor by passing it along.

LMW

:rockwoot: I LOVE this place. :ingo: and LMW's place. If you haven't been down there, take him up on his offer. I'm with que. I think he does have the same setup as you. Also, do take the Profire class. I learned soooo much about reloading I'm actually considering taking it again after I get all my stuff setup to reload. Good luck with your reloading endeavors.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    It's been a while since I used a 3 die set but a couple of things. One, you just flare the case mouth enough to set the base of the bullet in so that it's snug and doesn't want to tip over. Just a a fraction of on inch will do. hard to explain but once you find the sweet spot you'll know.

Read the instruction that came with the dies. On a 3 die set the seating die is also the crimping die. You need to remove the slight bell that the expander die created.

The only thing that puzzles me is that you state the the bullet "spins" once it's seated. That shouldn't happen whether you crimp it or not. Your either way over expanding the case mouth, your full length sizing die isn't set up right or you bought the wrong size bullets but in any case that shouldn't happen.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    As stated I only flare enough to get the base of the bullet to sit in the case without tipping out. To set the taper crimp die(most auto pistol dies) I run an emply case that has been sized but not flared with no bullet. I run the ram up and then screw the die down until it touches the case. For a good crimp you won't need to turn the die down much more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Once close then you can try with a flared case and bullet. Bullet depth can be set after you have the crimp set.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    OP, did you get the instructions that (normally) come with the dies? RCBS describes the process about as plainly as it can be described, and their method works wonderfully.

If you are of the type of person that has to physically do something before you understand it, (not a put down, my son is that way, while I can read a description and get it) then definately find a GOOD mentor or instructor.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've had similar problems with cast 38 bullets by crimping too light into the canular.
    Shouldn't be your problem. Have you checked bullet diameter with a caliper?
    Maybe you're forming your own canular (not sure that's how you spell it) if you're
    over crimping. First time reloading I'd use jacketed bullets to work out the kinks.
    Might cost more $$ but the lower frustration factor learning a new craft is worth it.
    You have no idea how lucky you are to have this forum to fall back on.
    In my day (boy does that make me sound old) we didn't even have the internet, till
    Al Gore invented it. We just ruined a lot of brass till we got it right.

hockey3236

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    bullet should slide into mouth slightly but not be pushed in by hand the built in leverege of ur press will take care of seating the rest of the way

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The RCBS website has some videos that may help you understand how to set up dies for each step. Good idea to get set up and practice without primers and powder. Good luck

Top Bottom