• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Alright, trap shooting is expensive shells are expensive. I have never reloaded anything but I am considering reloading my own hulls. I know I have a steep learning curve but my question today is for you experienced guys.

Since I am buying factory loads anyways for now…. Is Winchester AA (.36-.50 per shell) REALLY that much better of a hull to reload over say the federal target (.29-.34) hulls?

I know I am penny pinching just trying to set myself up for success when I do start reloading.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I only reload AA and STS hulls. I set my machines for them and I can get several quality reloads from them. Federals do not do well for me. Remington Gun Clubs can be decent but I don't need to use them.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Pick a hull you can get, get lots of them. Then look up recipes for that hull and buy the components listed in the recipe. Look for fps to match what you want in the recipe.
    Mixing and matching and wildcatting is not a great idea with shotshells.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I was a AA user for many years until I got out of trap shooting, The best advice is to pick a hull after you have tested factory shells for pattern at 30 yards. Now match that load, it may take a bit of time and shooting at 30 yards to match the pattern. But you will be better off. Too many reload without testing and have holes in their patterns that let birds through. You want to improve your game not get held up with inferior loads. Good Luck.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    At current prices (if you can find in stock) what does it cost to reload a single shell with 7.5 for clay targets? I wonder if at current pricing and availability this is even something I should be looking into. After all I am trying to do it to save $$ so my kids can shoot MORE but obviously buying the reloading equipment will set me back a bit also.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I shoot 16 ga for trap, like said above find one hull, I use the rem black game load hull. find a good recipe you can get powder for that gives good velocity 1150-1200 that does not hurt your shoulder after 4 rounds of trap. find a used mec 600 jr press, you can upgrade later, you need a scale to check your powder drop. I also bought a chrony, I found the published loads are not accurate so you may need to change the amount of powder to get your velocity.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So… I have a shell reloader i found it in a home I was clearing out…. Is there anything that can go bad on them? If I showed you guys a pic of it could you let me know if it is useless? And if it isn’t garbage… what else would I need to reload?

Attachments

• IMG_5319.jpeg
      IMG_5319.jpeg
      855.3 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_5318.jpeg
      IMG_5318.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 8

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Ok I am embarrassed to admit this but I completely forgot about these lol found in a different clean out…. I just grabbed them out of the barn and I will clean them up and see what I am left with? I am assuming I can buy new parts for these they seem solid

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpeg
      IMG_5320.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 14
    • IMG_5321.jpeg
      IMG_5321.jpeg
      839.6 KB · Views: 14
    • IMG_5322.jpeg
      IMG_5322.jpeg
      602.2 KB · Views: 14

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    So… I have a shell reloader i found it in a home I was clearing out…. Is there anything that can go bad on them? If I showed you guys a pic of it could you let me know if it is useless? And if it isn’t garbage… what else would I need to reload?
    that is a lee load all, its the first one I bought for reloading 16 ga, it needs a sizing ring and in the top storage box should be a bunch of bushings to adjust powder and shot amount. if those are missing its useless

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    Ok I am embarrassed to admit this but I completely forgot about these lol found in a different clean out…. I just grabbed them out of the barn and I will clean them up and see what I am left with? I am assuming I can buy new parts for these they seem solid
    those are mec 600 jr, you still can get parts from mec. you need to figure out what gauge they are for, if they have a part number check it them out on the mec website

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    yes the mec, even thought the load all gave me nicer crimps, but to change bushings on the load all, you have to turn it upside down to pour out any shot and powder still in the hoppers, then you have to remove the screws in the front and take the hopper off to get to the bushings, a real pita. the only other advantage to the load all is it comes with all the different powder and shot bushings while you have to buy them separate for the mec.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    If you have saves your hulls, shot cost for hard 7.5's x 1 1/8 oz. is $0.19, Primers $0.06 , powder $0.08 and wad $0.03. So your looking at $0.36 per shell plus tax and shipping If you shop around you can find deals so you can save money.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    yes the mec, even thought the load all gave me nicer crimps, but to change bushings on the load all, you have to turn it upside down to pour out any shot and powder still in the hoppers, then you have to remove the screws in the front and take the hopper off to get to the bushings, a real pita. the only other advantage to the load all is it comes with all the different powder and shot bushings while you have to buy them separate for the mec.

Gonna test MEC customer service out see what they have to say if they can help steer me in the right direction. so it is a blessing to have these (seems 1 is 20 and 1 is 12) but at the same time I have NO clue what I am supposed to have or what is “bad” on it lol

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If you have saves your hulls, shot cost for hard 7.5's x 1 1/8 oz. is $0.19, Primers $0.06 , powder $0.08 and wad $0.03. So your looking at $0.36 per shell plus tax and shipping If you shop around you can find deals so you can save money.
    At that price (without deals) with current costs makes reloading not worth the effort. Hopefully costs come down on components

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    With current component costs, you may not save much money. You might even have issues finding powder and/or primers. The big plus for me is tailoring the loads to the type of shooting. I like loading 7/8oz loads of #9 for skeet w/ very light recoil. For trap; 1oz loads w/ #8 or #7 1/2 shot. Maybe some 1 1/8oz loads for further shots in sporting clays. Even 1 1/4oz @ 1385 fps loads for protection games. There is lots of versatility.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom