• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello...

IM just now getting into reloading...Gonna be getting my press any day now(lee pro 1000)....Gonna do .45acp and .40s&w.

Where is the best place to buy bullets?...Im looking into starting some steel shooting so I would like to reload lead rounds as well as jacketed.

Best price I have found on lead RN .45 is about $76/1000...200gr.

Also...what type of powder do you use, where do you get it, and how long does it last you?

What do you do about "leading" in the barrel?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I get a good lot of my stuff from Midwayusa.com I get my powder and primers local though due to the hazmat fee ($27.50) that they tack on ever time you get either powder or primers shipped. I cant help you with the price you said because i dont load .45's. I use bullseye and have used unique also. I like the bullseye because its a bit slower and works well in my carbine that shoots 9mm rounds also. I get about 1300 rounds out of 1lb of powder (give or take depending on how many grains you put in each round). I dont have a problem with leading because i use all jacketed bullets. but everyone has told me leading just takes a bit more cleaning. Im sure somone who has delt with it more than i will be along in a bit.

Good luck with the hobby..it truely is great and God bless.
    Where is the best place to buy bullets?...Im looking into starting some steel shooting so I would like to reload lead rounds as well as jacketed.

Also...what type of powder do you use, where do you get it, and how long does it last you?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hello...

IM just now getting into reloading...Gonna be getting my press any day now(lee pro 1000)....Gonna do .45acp and .40s&w.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

Well, there are 7,000 grains in a LB. of powder. So it all depends on your charge. There are a lot of good powders on the market. It may take some time playing around before you find a powder you like and works well for your needs. I personally like Hodgdon TiteGroup for my pistol loads. Can not help in terms of bullets because I do not reload those calibers.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Ok now that your getting into reloading try to get over doing everything the cheapest possible, your are already way ahead of the $ game.

Instead of LRN look into the LSWC a lot of guns will shoot the 200 Lswc a little bit better than LRN.

The old standby load for 45 for years has been W231 it was used to make major for IPSC and is a clean burning well metering powder.

Unique and Bullseye are like picking up dirt and dropping it into your open breach.

the Winchester line has a new Target powder that is giving me great results in 45 and 40, I shoot mostly 40 now.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    Congratulations what will the world are reloading you will quickly discover that different places have the best price on the products you are looking for if you are located here in central Indiana I would tell you to check out the range store at Camp Atteberry if you're willing to buy a little quantity definitely have the best price on powders and primers I would also tell you to be very careful to cast bullets bullets made of pure lead will definitely lead up your barrel if you select a manufacture is using something equal to the Lyman number 2 mix you will not have any problem with letting it what so ever

Thanks Dave

Remember keep your powder dry

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Welcome to the addictive hobby of metallic cartridge reloading! As I'm sure you've discovered, there are many sources of information, and misinformation, out here on the intertoobz. For example: If you were to take certain comments literally, you would actually believe that using the powder named "Unique" would be like pouring dirt into your gun. Hopefully you realize that is a poorly-worded metaphor and NOT actually true. :rolleyes:

I will put in a shameless plug for a friend of mine who makes, arguably, some of the best cast lead bullets on the market. Marshall Stanton, of Beartooth Bullets in Idaho, is a great guy and casts excellent bullets, but they are not the cheapest on the market, by any means. As you tool up and buy your components, please do not lose sight of the fact that "economy" always has its cost. Cheaper sometimes means less expensive and sometimes means less effective. It is up to you to discern which is most important to you, but suffice to say that buying the least expensive brass, primers, powder, bullets and firearms will lead to very predictable results...as will buying the most expensive of these. There IS a happy medium and I'm sure you'll find it.

The one thing I can recommend is that you read extensively. This reloading forum is good, but if you want to delve DEEP...I would recommend Shooters Forum. They do a great job of staying on point and keeping things civil, without the opinionated rants and misinformation you might find elsewhere. You will find my posts under the same user ID on those pages.

Which reloading books have you purchased, and have you read them through and through? If not, THAT is the place to start. Good luck and welcome to the club! :)

Jason

BigRiggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Check with the manufactory of the lead bullets about loading speeds. Some recommend that speeds remain below 1000 fps.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Great info guys..

Is there ever any reloading stuff at the 1500?

Ive been to the 1500 before but was never looking for reloading supplies like bulk bullets/powder/primers.

God bless
    -Shred

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    i buy all of my reloading stuff for the most part threw andrew at profire arms. he is local to indy a sponser on here and has great prices. he can help you get started as well with his reloading classes. each month at least once he has a hazmat order that gives you free shipping and hazmat at graf and sons prices if you pick it up in indy.

I preffer tight group for powder and a 230 grain plated bullet with cci primers for 45 acp. no leading of the barrel and not to much more for the plated bullet. never loaded 40 caliber but tight group should work fine for it to as i use it in my 9mm loads.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Great info spider,

I was thinking of lead because other have said that the jacketing can deflect and ricochet when shooting steel.

Other than the steel target load I would have no qualms with shooting and reloading jacketed bullets....I would prefer it.

Thanks for everyones responses....once I get up and running Im sure I will have ALOT of questions.

God bless
    -Shred

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The trouble with buying bullets at the 1500 is that if you find the ones you like, you either have to carry them around or spend the time and effort to stamp out and carry them to your car, which may be a long way from the place. if you bought a couple 1000 .45's that is a lot of weight in those 4 little boxes.

If you mail order there are lots of good choices out there. I have been using Mastercast bullets for plain cast bullet loads. The 180 grain is very accurate in the .40 if you push them slow. The 200 SWC works great in the 45. I amso like the plated Rainier or Berry's. TiteGroup is my favorite powder that I buy in bulk, but WW231 is great in both calibers also. The stuff looks like it was made on the same equipment from the same materials.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .45 ACP
    W231

.40 S&W
    lead=No.7
    jacketed=Universal or No.7

Bullets