Reloading Swag? What is this stuff? (56k Warning)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hey guys,

As I've discussed, I'm interested in getting into reloading. My uncle used to reload once upon a time and gave me his old equipment. The trick is, I've never reloaded like this and have no idea what I've got.. Learn me something, experts!!

Pics -

CIMG3356.jpg

CIMG3357.jpg

CIMG3358.jpg

CIMG3359.jpg

CIMG3360.jpg

CIMG3361.jpg

CIMG3362.jpg

CIMG3363.jpg

CIMG3364.jpg

CIMG3365.jpg

CIMG3366.jpg

CIMG3367.jpg

CIMG3368.jpg

CIMG3369.jpg

CIMG3370.jpg

CIMG3371.jpg

What IS all this stuff? What do I do with it?? Help a newbie out!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1. Dillon RL550 progressive press - still under lifetime no BS warranty
    3. Primer pickup tubes
    4. Akro bin where completed cartridges are ejected to
    5. Tool head
    6. Tool head stand
    7. Powder bar
    8-10 and last two - shell plates and locator buttons for 9x19, 38/357 and 44
    11-12 - Powder/flaring dies

Looks like you have nearly all you need to load 3 calibers. Congrats. Or if you don't want it - I'll give you $20 for it.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    A lot of really great stuff is what you have. Nice uncle.

Slow1911s has pretty much nailed the specifics. All you apparently need is two reloading manuals, manual for the 550, brass tumbler and components.

And if you don't want to bother with it, I'll double slow1911s offer.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    It is way too complicated for ya son! I will trade you a hand loader and 50 rep points for it.

Nice rig and great uncle.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    You need to thank the nice man who gave it to you. What you've got would cost about $350-400 new. I've got a Dillon 550 too, as do many on this list. Excellent stuff. If you can't download the manuals, I'll bet Dillon will send you some. If not, let me know and I'll copy mine and mail to you. I'd be glad to help show you how to set it up but I'm on the far north side of Indy, near Carmel. Let me know if I can help.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Looks like you have nearly all you need to load 3 calibers.

I saw the shell plates, locator buttons, and powder/flare funnels for the three calibers. (FWIW - Dillon sells these things together as a "caliber conversion kit" or you can buy each piece individually)

However, there seem to be some dies missing. The press and its tool head seem to only have the powder die installed. The other tool head has just two dies in it. A dillon die set comes with a sizing/decapping die, a bullet seating die, and a crimping die. You can use the same powder dispenser die for all your calibers, but it is more convenient to get a new powder die and keep all the dies for a given caliber set locked in the toolhead. That way you don't have to re-set the dies every time; just change out the toolhead and you're ready to go.

One other tip: to get started with other calibers, you will have to get the caliber conversion kit (shell plate, locator buttons, powder funnel) from Dillon. However, you can get the three-die set (sizer/decapper, seater, crimper) from other companies. Lee dies in particular are perfectly serviceable and significantly less expensive than Dillon dies.

One thing I realized late: don't automatically buy a new caliber conversion kit every time you get a new caliber. For instance, 10mm, 40SW, and 357 SIG use all the same shell plate and locator buttons. If the cartrigde base is the same between two calibers, these parts will interchange.

Do get the Dillon manual, and maybe a video. The process and the parts will make a lot more sense then.

Also, didn't see a scale or calipers, which you will definitely need.

Edited to add: It's still a great haul; very nice equipment and it's a huge chunk of what you need to get started. Didn't mean to downplay the magnificence of your get, or the generosity of the uncle who gave it to you, by focusing on the few pieces you still need.

Last edited:

chrismw5551

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I just bought a dillon 550 with dies and the rest of the stuff I need to reload because I was tired of driving 40 minutes to use someone else equipment, and I spent well over 700.00 on everything, you hit the jackpot with what your uncle gave you. Congrats.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! Uncle's a pretty nice guy, sure, but he was just unloading this so he didn't have to give half of it to his ex ;)

I'm gonna download and print a manual so I can get set up.

Quick question - is this a "Garage" kinda activity, or can I do it in the house? The wife is arguing for garage, but we get a lot of birds/bugs/spiders/etc out there, and I'm pretty certain that I want it inside with my tools and stuff. Ya know, stuff that should be out of the weather..

Thoughts?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, what should I be mounting this little guy on? Would a desk suffice, or will I need a workbench sorta thing?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! Uncle's a pretty nice guy, sure, but he was just unloading this so he didn't have to give half of it to his ex ;)

I'm gonna download and print a manual so I can get set up.

Quick question - is this a "Garage" kinda activity, or can I do it in the house? The wife is arguing for garage, but we get a lot of birds/bugs/spiders/etc out there, and I'm pretty certain that I want it inside with my tools and stuff. Ya know, stuff that should be out of the weather..

Thoughts?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, what should I be mounting this little guy on? Would a desk suffice, or will I need a workbench sorta thing?

You will need a bench or other solid (I'll say that again - solid) surface to bolt it to. I think Dillon makes what they call a strong mount which I highly recommend.

You should keep it somewhere that the temp and humidity is fairly consistent. I loaded in a spare bedroom for 7+ years before I got a basement.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Heavy work bench and in a dry place. This stuff will rust if exposed to a lot of humidity. I posted a lot of info for you in my last pm.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I appreciate the info so far, guys!!

Spare bedroom is where this is going to happen, it looks like. Don't have a basement (too close to the river, it's flood constantly) and garage is definitely not climate controlled. Spare bedroom already a shared space, though, so I'm gonna have to do some cleaning. If you look at the first pic and see the knickknacks all over the floor you'll understand what I mean :)

I did print off the setup manual, though - looks easy enough, I'll just have to clean up, then set this little guy up and see how it goes :)

Top Bottom