Rem 1100.. somtimes it fires, sometimes it don't!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm wondering if anyone has experienced their Remington 1100 not firing each time you pull the trigger? I suspect a firing pin issue, but don't want to rip it all a part to realize it's something else on the gun.

While shooting trap I'll get the "click" sound but nothing happens. Manually eject the shell and try again and you've got ignition. Keep shooting and then it does it again...argh! If I recall, there is either no strike or a very light strike on the primer (it's been awhile since I shot it, but want to get it running again for Trap).

I'm not as "up"on 1100's and this is a used unit I bought a couple of years ago.

Any advice is appreciated!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    (it's been awhile since I shot itquote]

Did you have this problem the last time you fired it?
    I have never had a problem with mine, but it gets fired, cleaned, and oiled on a regular basis. The first thing I would do is take it apart and make sure everything is clean. Might be something as simple as crud built up around the firing pin. You said you bought it used, never know how well the previous owner maintained it. Pull the bolt apart and make sure the firing pin and area around it are clean, give it a good lube and try the gun again.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    When you exhaust your attempts feel free to bring it to me and ill take a look at it and get your problem resolved.... i would definatly go w/ the cleaning advice first though if its somthing simple.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Perhaps it's carbon buildup around the firing pin so cleaning is a way to go. Or bring it to INDYGUNWORK, he is one of the best I know of. Other than the custom shop at Fort Bragg when I was based there long long time ago.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Being "up" on 1100's really isn't a problem, as most guns work along the same principles. The trigger is pressed, releasing the hammer, which strikes the firing pin, which strikes the primer, which causes BANG!

Sounds like the breakdown is with the firing pin striking the primer. +1 for first scrubbing it down really well. Can you tell if the firing pin is broken? If it's intact, my hunch would be that there is some crud around the firing pin and/or it's return spring that is catching and slowing it down. You mention that you recall either no or a slight strike on the primer on the non-firing rounds. Can you re-fire these successfully? Also check the shells that fired - how is the dent in the spent primers on those?

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks fellas for the replies and terrific advice. I put it away last summer after it's mis-behavior on the line while shootiing trap (a bit embarrassing I must say as I tried twice). I went back tried the shells in my ol' standby 870 and they were fine.

The gun was in rough shape when I got it at a deep discount at Gander-tucky. It had sat on the shelf so long they heavily discounted it so I bought it knowing its a Remington and parts are everywhere. I've given it some TLC, replaced the gas rings and so forth. I will say I didn't strip it down though and probably should have.

As to saying I'm not familiar with it I was addressing semi-auto shotguns... I can tear down pumps and put them back together pretty well. Also, I wasn't sure if there wasn't some sort or known issue that arises on 1100's so Iwould not have to do so much investigative work.

So... I'll tear it down to the bones and clean it up real good... check the firing pin and probably order springs for it as well from Brownells then take it to Indygunworks if that doesn't solve it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Top Bottom