• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    At least .357" diameter bullets, case no longer than +/- 1.625" (the length of .500 S&W cases) IIRC. Proposed length for next year is no longer than +/- 1.8" (the length of .460 S&W cases).

Short answer: No. Not legal.

Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Hmmm confusing, I was reading that the 30-AR was taken from the 450 bushmaster.. Obviously I'm still learning about these rifle ammunitions. So is there a production AR in the 460? Is the 460 a better round then .458 socom, is the socom better then 450 bushmaster? Will these be the only legal rounds for hunting deer? Thanks for all of your patients and replies, I really appreciate the help.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...So is there a production AR in the 460? Is the 460 a better round then .458 socom, is the socom better then 450 bushmaster? Will these be the only legal rounds for hunting deer? Thanks for all of your patients and replies, I really appreciate the help.

The 450 Bushy uses handgun bullets and while it has higher velocities than the 458 Socom you are limited to weights and construction of handgun bullets. The 458 Socom allows for much heavier bullet choices and heavier construction of bullets, which makes it suitable for some game animals for which the 450 Bushmaster may be inadequate. For either whitetail deer or wild hogs either the 450 or the 458 will knock them down and leave them dead. That said, I'm not sure how you define "better."

Currently the 450 Bushmaster is not legal for Indiana deer hunting. That may (or may not) change for next year as the DNR is considering a minor rule change that would allow a few additional calibers to be classified as legal deer rounds.

I am not aware of any current AR15's that come chambered from the factory in the 460 S&W.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    In a pistol, yes, in a rifle, no.

.30RAR as other mentioned is has a bullet that is too small in diameter. Rifle bullets have to be .357" minimum.

the .30RAR is based on the .284 Winchester. Early info had the case using the .284's rebated rim, and built around a 60kpsi max load. Then something wierd happened... Remington switched to an obscure rim diameter, IMO, fearing that people would swap uppers on AR-15's and blow themselves up (too much bolt thrust for the AR-15 action to handle. The proprietary upper and the strange head diameter prevents this. I thought about using .30RAR brass as the basis of my wildcat rifle (wanted to be able to have a switch barrel rifle based on the .308WIN or PPC bolt face), but when I got the ammo (no component brass is available, none is planned AFAIK from my e-mails and phone calls to Remington) I noticed the strange case head - wouldn't fit ANY of the shell holders I have. When I discovered that Redding is making .358/.25 WSSM dies as a "standard" offering in their custom line, that Sinclair's had them in stock for immediate delivery, and the Dave Manson could get us a reamer in two weeks, we gave up and went to the WSSM case.

Top Bottom