• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I played with Match Box cars and trucks growing up. These preceded Hot Wheels. The day before my 15th birthday my little sister was born. Thanks Mom and Dad. Being the youngest and only boy wasn't to bad a deal up until then. The Match Box cars were used by my little sister growing up. On my 65th birthday, my little sister gifted me those original Match Box cars. Don't play with them anymore, but they do have a special place.
    I still have the matchbox cars from when I was a kid, and they're in almost mint condition.
    Like an idiot I didn't save the little boxes they came in.

I even have the semi with two trailers behind it.
    I also have the drawered plastic box with little compartments they go in.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hot wheels and matchbox were always my favorites, I still have a few of them from the 70s.

It’s carried over into my adult life. I have around 10,000 Hotwheels now. I’ve been buying them for years.

I was watching one of those series, like "The Toys that Built America", or some such, and found out the origin of Matchbox cars was because the schools in England would not allow kids to bring toys to school unless it fit in the standard matchbox of the day. A diecast toy maker looking for the next big hit turned that into Matchbox cars, and made a lot of money.

I love those history shows that tell the success stories of how things get made.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Remember the Mighty Mo toy cannon from the early 1960's?
    It had a reloadable shell type thing that you would load into the breach and it would shoot plastic cannon balls. :cool:

I ran across the cannon part the other day in some stuff, and I'm sure the other stuff is around someplace.
    (Picture isn't of mine)
    r3gtygth56yj3y756.jpg

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not a collector or expert in any way, but I recently re-discovered this from a youtube suggestion....

Mom bought me one of these at a yard sale and I thought it was one of the most amazing toys I had as a kid.

Maybe you guys remember toys from days gone by....

Had one but it was the Enterprise.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Hot wheels and Johnny Lightning cars had the little metal button/badges that came with the cars.
    I may not be as old as some on this site, but I remember Johnny Lightnings when Playing Mantis was producing them. They were higher quality than Hot Wheels, and were designed hew in Michiana. There is a locally famous pizza place in the South Bend area called Bruno's Pizza. The founder, Bruno, had a Johnny Lightning modeled after the car he drove (don't know what model it was).

My dad and I would collect these, as well as the Hot Wheels when they were doing the special series back in the 2000's (such as the "Treasure Hunt" for example). I always wanted to play with them, but my dad said no, and keep them in their packages. I'm glad he enforced that as we have several hundred in their original packages.

I also remember him having a few "red-line" Hot Wheels, which were Hot Wheels with red circles on the tires.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    3f77158047246d0889a055af294eddd0.jpg

Got one of these in the mid 1970s from Kmart South in Muncie. We'd use the side of our street for a runway, and fly it over our neighbor's yard, since our yard had too many trees. We'd fly it, crash it, run in the house, glue it back together, and repeat.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    3f77158047246d0889a055af294eddd0.jpg

Got one of these in the mid 1970s from Kmart South in Muncie. We'd use the side of our street for a runway, and fly it over our neighbor's yard, since our yard had too many trees. We'd fly it, crash it, run in the house, glue it back together, and repeat.

I had this one:

s-l640.jpg

Never got it started. I think there was a leak in the fuel tank.

I tossed the plane, put on a different fuel tank which wouldn't fit in the plane, attached it all to a 2x4 and would run tank after tank of fuel through it just to play around with it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Before posting this I will just apologize for the wasted hours of your life this rabbit hole link will cost.

Yep! I started out with the 1971 penneys Christmas catalog, THAT brings back a bunch of memories. I bookmarked that site.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We had a bunch of Johnny West stuff. I think we had a boy, Jamie, and maybe another boy too. Jane. Horses Commanche (with moveable legs), Pancho Pony, and i think another horse named Thunder or Thunderbolt.
    One funny thing I remember with my little brothers and friends was that, when we were playing with Johnny West and/or GI Joe figurines and we would have our "guys" fighting with each other, one of us kids would be imitating the action music that ALWAYS accompanied those fights on TV. It didn't seem right for the figures to fight with no action music.

Top Bottom