• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I just received a Remington 1100 and opened the bolt to put the barrel on and my wife picked it up and accidently closed the bolt and it locked up without the barrel on. I can't get it open no matter what I do as it sits now and was planning on taking the trigger assembly out tonight to see if I can see the problem but wanted to see if anyone here would know exactly what the problem is and if there is a quicker fix. Thanks in advance.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Remington 1100

Not a biggie. The link from the action bar just came out of the spring follower that goes back into the stock. If you drop the trigger assy out you will see where it goes. When the bolt went forward without the barrel in place, it went a little too far forward and the link came out. After you give the gun a good cleaning a couple of times you'll get used to this.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've had a problem like this on my 1187. You have to take out the trigger group, and then get a pair of needle nose pliers and feed the two metal prongs into the tube that goes into the stock.

Most likely, one of the prongs isn't in the tube anymore, and that is why it won't let you pull the bolt back. It's a pain in the arse to fix, but that is what the problem was for my locked up 1187.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Not a biggie. The link from the action bar just came out of the spring follower that goes back into the stock. If you drop the trigger assy out you will see where it goes. When the bolt went forward without the barrel in place, it went a little too far forward and the link came out. After you give the gun a good cleaning a couple of times you'll get used to this.

This is what I was trying to say. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I just use my non sausage type fingers to get the wishbone's ears back into the cup :)

One finger to brace a prong (between it and receiver wall), the other to pinch the other prong towards the braced, then another finger to push back.

Pliers might make it easier for most, but if one has thin hands/fingers it can be a neat little trick. Takes only a second or two, unless your hand/fingers have Triflow on 'em ;) Another reason I hate that stuff!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

+1 thats exactly what it is.

This will NEVER happen if the barrel is installed. When the barrel is off the bolt can go forward just enough for the wishbone to come out of that tube.
    Enjoy the 1100! Great shotguns! Was my first autoloader I then sold for a 1187.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My memory is only of 12's, can't remember what I did on the few LT/LW 20's I've had/worked with.

If no pliers one can leverage a pencil on one side, use two fingers from the other hand, one to compress the other to apply rearward pressure.

I've had some that just went in with a flick on the hand, others had to get pliers or cuss a bit. Had folks bring them to the shop off and on- not uncommon.

Gas rings incorrect, shell hopped carrier or bent tab on latch the other common issues.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    Took it apart and like you all said was easy to see the problem. I put it back in but when I pulled the tirgger assembly out the feed latch fell out also. Looking online real quickly showed the should be "staked" in place. I feel I could probably make something to do this but wanted to see it there was any good ideas first. Does it just press into the channel? I was hoping to shoot a few rounds of trap tomorrow night but it's not looking good now.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You don't need it restaked, it's held in position by the slot and trigger group pin.
    My 1100 SP came unstaked, works fine.
    Just a minor inconvenience.

I thought about supergluing the dang thing. Quick webcheck shows some people have had success with such a fix LOL.

p_767000340_3.jpg

Top Bottom