• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have a Remington 1187 Premier model, 12 gauge, 28 in vent rib barrel, high gloss blue and shiny stock. I was thinking about getting a deer barrel for it just to have an extra option come deer season when that rolls around. My question is about the barrels. My current barrel is marked "light contour". Can I use any Rem 1187 12 gauge barrel or do I have to find a slug barrel made in a "light contour". I don't think I do, but thought it would be better to ask before I spend the jack. I was told any barrel would work, but that I would have to get a different forearm. If that is true, how would I know if the forearm I purchased would work with the new barrel? Any help is appreciated, Thank you, D

Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have been down this road with the 11-87. The light contour barrel is not made for the heavier "hunting" loads. The gas ports in the bottom of the barrel let too much gas pass back to work the action. It will fire, but be hard on the action. The slug/deer barrels have smaller ports to work the action. Any barrel made for the 11-87 will work. You can use your existing forearm, BUT you will have to open up the front of the wooden forearm slightly to accomodate the thicker barrel. A little sanding and the forearm now works for both light and heavy barrels. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom