• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What do you think of this pistol? Handled one at Freedom Arms and it was beautiful. Any experience with these?
    1911_enh_full_3qright_036884-tfb.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have the plain jane R1 and it's a heckuva shooter for the money. It looks like the enhanced features are mostly external. I can only only comment that internally, its probably the same solid piece as mine.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If having a true "half cock" means anything to you, pass it by.
    The shelf is about 1/8" cock and pulling the trigger does let the hammer fall from that position.
    The intention is that with that minimal distance to travel during the hammer fall, there is not enough momentum to cause the primer to be struck with enough force to detonate.
    This really bothers me... but if you're good with it, then go ahead and play through.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If having a true "half cock" means anything to you, pass it by.
    The shelf is about 1/8" cock and pulling the trigger does let the hammer fall from that position.
    The intention is that with that minimal distance to travel during the hammer fall, there is not enough momentum to cause the primer to be struck with enough force to detonate.
    This really bothers me... but if you're good with it, then go ahead and play through.

Can you school me on the importance of true "half cock". I'm ignorant as to why this is a good thing. Does this have implications related to a firing pin block or lack of one?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can you school me on the importance of true "half cock". I'm ignorant as to why this is a good thing. Does this have implications related to a firing pin block or lack of one?

My Springfield's will not drop the hammers from a partial or half cock position.
    Neither will my Para's
    This is a lot safer than one that will drop the hammer.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    At this point, I've totally taken over greyhounds thread. I'd like to apologize.

Half cocked is the same as cocked? I should start a new thread, I guess.

Boy, was I confused!

But that Remington is really nice looking. I wonder if the fiber optic front sights make a big difference? I have put three dots on all of my Springys and RIA's, and have factory Novacs on my S&W. I just will not change my 1914 Colt.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Half cocked is the same as cocked? I should start a new thread, I guess.

No. For example "HALF cock" is the shelf that the hammer will fall to if you're intending to cock the hammer fully back and your thumb happens to slip. Pulling the trigger shouldn't do anything and you get no "bang".
    FULL cock is where you're able to pull the trigger to fire... OR flip up the thumb safety and holster your firearm. Hence the term "cocked and locked".

Top Bottom