• ...and so much more!
  • rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Good morning, INGO.

I surprised my SO with a Remington 597 as an early birthday gift yesterday. I got an excellent deal on a used one (140!!) with the unbranded 3-9 scope and 1 magazine (plastic, that'll be replaced with the newer and more reliable ones.) We had talked about a magazine fed 22lr for her (her first rifle ever was a Marlin 60 I got for her) and compared quite a few models. She had no idea I drove all over yesterday to find one at a good price until we got out to the range. She expected to shoot her Marlin, and I handed her the 597 when unloading the trunk.. she was confused and hadn't put two and two together. When she did.. man was she happy!

She really enjoyed shooting the rifle yesterday. Probably about 75-100 rounds through it with only 2 FTFs with that magazine using crap bulk Thunderbolts :) I'm really glad the purchase was such a hit with her, and the rifle functioned so well. Her only complaint (and mine on handling the gun) is it seems to be a bit "top heavy". The standard, synthetic stock does nothing to balance the weight. She *hates* lightweight guns (tried to hold a 702 plinkster and she handed it right back to me!)... so a stock replacement is in store.

Unlike my 10/22, the aftermarket accessories are not as prevalent for the 597. We've narrowed it down to two, somewhat costly, replacement stocks.

Remington 597 Stocks - Revolution® Trailblazer - USA Rifle Stocks
    and
    Boyds' TactiCool Stock Remington 597 Unfinished Laminate

She's not a fan of thumbhole stocks (don't ask me why..) she does prefer the monte carlo / standard style. Are there any options that we're missing? What would you choose?

Thanks for the input, INGO, and good shooting.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if she's into the AR look, but you might find a VTR setup for it. Haven't looked around for one recently, but I currently own a 597 VTR and I like how it balances and how it can take AR type stocks and foregrips.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Thanks for the input guys! I had looked at the boyds stocks. I have the ss evolution on my 10/22. She's being picky.. But if it gets her out to the range more I'm willing to accommodate that lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom