• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    I have a remington 597 and I was wondering if anybody has any pointers on ammo or cleaning instructions that might help it from jamming?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one that I gave to my Mother this year for her birthday. I bought it in 2007. It would cycle any kind of ammo I fed it. I would buy a new magazine or two. When they first starting building the rifle. The magazines where junk and a lot of them got sent back to Remington. The third generations mags are a lot better. I would field strip it and give it a good cleaning and lube. You tube is a great source for videos.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I have a remington 597 and I was wondering if anybody has any pointers on ammo or cleaning instructions that might help it from jamming?

Read the manual and watch the Youtube videos on how to strip it, and give it a good cleaning.

Make sure you have the newer (within the last couple of years) metal factory 10 round mags. The plastic 30 round mags are junk, so don't even bother.

Find which ammo brands it likes. Mine shoots CCI Stingers and MiniMags, Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack, and Federal bulk pack all day. In fact, I've never had a FTF or FTE with any brand. The only problems I've ever had were most likely bad ammo failing to go bang, even though it got good primer strikes. That was mostly with some ancient UMC yellow brick and Thunderbolt ammo that was about 40 years old.

How old is your 597?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I bought one for my son, like has been said you need the newer metal mags and through away the 30 rd'r. We haven't had a problem with running ammo through it when using the 10 rd mags.

I did have one problem when we first bought it, it's rails had been lubed and it sat for a long time (6 months or better and the lube and become like a sticky jell) so it would jam every other round. Field stripped it, cleaned it and have run with out lube in it ever since and zero problems.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have pointer that will keep it from jamming and its 100% reliable, it will keep your 597 from ever jamming again. Trade it in on a Ruger 10/22.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    !!

ruhroh128548602003264776.jpg

:draw:Here we go Remington VS Ruger:draw: :laugh:

longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    Try Federal Auto Match. I shoot it through my 15-22 and it functions great. Federal states that it was designed specifically for auto loaders. Good luck.

Top Bottom