• ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    hey guys looking for you opinions,

several years ago in a trade i got a remington 597. i shot it a few times and the front site promptly fell off and its been sitting ever since. are these 597's worth the time and expense of setting them up?

thanks

jake

X ring

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    My buddy that I shoot with says that my 597 is a "delicate flower", very ammo specific. Fortunatley for me it shoots a little tighter groups than his 10/22.:D

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've owned one since shortly after they hit the market. The only problem that I had were the first gen. magazines which were junk. Remington did replace them for me.

rimfirecentral.com has a forum for these guns with a lot of info.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Very timely thread. I picked one up that had a lot of cycling issues. Ironically, with Remington ammo. ;)

What ammo does yours like?

I haven't done any work on it yet, but I had planned to grab some magazines for it and start there. Sometime between now and September I need to thread the barrel in preparation for a nice little toy from SSNFA, though. ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    step 1

sell 597

step 2

Buy Ruger 10/22

Ha, I had a 10/22 and it would not cycle reliably for crap. I tried many different loads with the same result. The 597 however, will run anything from sub sonics to hyper velocity. Not to mention the 597 has a better trigger and is more accurate out of the box. I will never buy another 10/22.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Ha, I had a 10/22 and it would not cycle reliably for crap. I tried many different loads with the same result. The 597 however, will run anything from sub sonics to hyper velocity. Not to mention the 597 has a better trigger and is more accurate out of the box. I will never buy another 10/22.
    Oh Lord Jesus, say it ain't so! I can maybe see the Remington being just a tad more accurate, but more reliable? Are you sure that the 10/22 you had was not just a clever forgery? :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Oh Lord Jesus, say it ain't so! I can maybe see the Remington being just a tad more accurate, but more reliable? Are you sure that the 10/22 you had was not just a clever forgery? :D

I would put my 597 up against anyones fancy little 10/22. I know that will butt hurt some 10/22 fan boys. However, I will not say good things about something that is not worth a damn and vise versa. I have never had any issues with my 597.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

I'd say it's likely true. I used to have a 10/22, sold it and got a 597.

The only failures I've had with the 597 were either failure to fire due to ammo, or when I foolishly tried the plastic 30 round magazine, which I promptly found out was junk.

My 597 is FAR more accurate than my 10/22 was, both using bulk ammo (Remington or Winchester).

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    actually i traded a guy for my 10/22 that wouldnt cycle for the 597. then the site fell off the 597 the first time i shot it so i kind of thought they both might be junk

jake

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom