• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Why not just buy a 700P in 308 up front and bypass the upgrades.
    They come with HS Precision stocks with full lenght alum beding and now a adj 40X trigger. All for alittle over 800 and change. With a good set of rings and a base along with bottom end optics its not that much over budget.
    And he will have a rifle that's much better up to the challenge. And if it ever gets sold it will be much easier to sell in its original form and it hold much better value than a home built parts gun.

For the OP's intended purpose this would be a good start. I personally don't care for the HS precision stocks because of the comb height but are a good upgrade from the junk tupperware that comes on the cheaper rifles. When I bought mine I gave $550 for it (same one as in the add in OP) with all intentions in upgrading the parts over time. It went in stages where is sat in a houge stock then in a B&C M40 stock, now in a mcree G5 chassis. Also changed optics several times starting with a Vortex CF2, ss16x, Primary Arms 4-14, and finally a Vortex HD Gen 1 5-20. Also upgraded to a Timney 510? About to order a barrel in a couple weeks so only thing I will have left is the action from the original gun. Lots of lessons learned but am happy with the(almost) finished product.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You can lead them to water,, but you can't make them drink..
    The PSS and then the P series 700 rifles have always stould in the background. It is the best bang for you money in LR rifles from Remington.
    I know them well.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I bought one of those at Dicks in .223 3 years ago. Added a Boyd stock and Vortex Scope. It's my favorite rifles to shoot right now. Sub moa with factory ammo. I will probably have one in .308 by the end of the week.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Is the 783 junk to build on? I have been seeing them everywhere pretty cheap. Thought about buying me one just to have a HP rifle........but figured there is a reason they are so cheap.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Is the 783 junk to build on? I have been seeing them everywhere pretty cheap. Thought about buying me one just to have a HP rifle........but figured there is a reason they are so cheap.

I was not familiar with it. I just googled it. It seems to be a cheaper version of a 700. The plastic bolt handle turns me off. JMHO, I'd stick with the 700 action.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The 783 is a price point rifle, made to compete with the Savage Axis.

It has very limited aftermarket support, and while it is fine for the "box o' shells a year" owner I wouldn't "build" off of it personally.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The 783 is a price point rifle, made to compete with the Savage Axis.

It has very limited aftermarket support, and while it is fine for the "box o' shells a year" owner I wouldn't "build" off of it personally.

I was surprised to see that Boyd's does make a stock for it though.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Low end cheap scopes with high magnification are not clear. Higher magnification and clear optics can be had but you will pay for it. You will be surprised what you can resolve with less magnification and clearer glass than high mag and crappy clarity.

Twenty years ago I put a Bushnell fixed 12X on a Remington 700 bull-barrel .222 I had. It was so fuzzy I had a hard time making an accurate shot. I had my Remington 700 30-06 with me with a Leupold 3X-9X Vari-X III on it. Same yardage the target was crisp and clear. I took the Bushnell back and bought a Leupold 12X. There was night and day comparison.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 3-9X was a Vari-X II
    I had one with AO.
    Pops ran a 3.5-10X AO..........that was a VXIII
    Have had fixed 10 and 12X w AO, other VX2's..........3-9X and 4-12X versions.
    I miss my little 3-9X EFR. Sold it on a 600 in .243

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Well... Not to bump this, but..... Wasn't able to get the rifle this weekend. My daily driver a 2003 VW Jetta TDI, and it won't start, I've dropped about 3 bills on this thing since Tuesday, and still won't start!!! So my play has really takin a hit this week.... But I really do appreciate Ya'lls input!!! It'll happen when it can happen

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well... Not to bump this, but..... Wasn't able to get the rifle this weekend. My daily driver a 2003 VW Jetta TDI, and it won't start, I've dropped about 3 bills on this thing since Tuesday, and still won't start!!! So my play has really takin a hit this week.... But I really do appreciate Ya'lls input!!! It'll happen when it can happen

The car's first!! There's plenty of time to get another rifle later.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County

As much as it may suck, imagine how you would feel if you had just bought the rifle and a day later the car died? Everything for a reason. Good luck!

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I had to go to Richards today to exchange a Black Friday online purachase for some shoes, exciting right!!
    But I went back to the gun counter and hugged the ADl and a Savage with a bull barrel both in .308 don't remember the model of the Savage, it was on sale for 4bills and the Rem was its normal price of 580$.......

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like, and still have, mine.....

fz3TYjL.jpg

Top Bottom