• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Took my 700 in 308 to rouche range to sight.it in at 100 yrds and i couldnt get it shooting down in my bdc at all its got a + 20 moa base on it. I also maxed out my.moa and still wasnt close

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What do you mean by not being able to get it shooting down in your BDC? You can't get the crosshairs adjusted to your point of impact?

I'm not a fan of BDC reticles or knobs. Unless confirmed dope was provided to the manufacturer, they will be a rough estimate rather than a precise tool.

What kind of scope?

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    IMAG0036.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nothing is jumping out at me from the pics.

The only thing I can suggest is to get prone behind the rifle and have someone begin to adjust the elevation knob. Count how many clicks or MOA of adjustment until the reticle stops moving. You can compare that number to what Vortex claims the available elevation should be to try and determine if there is an issue with the scope.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can usually get within a couple inches just by looking down the barrel. Just pull the bolt, look down the center of the barrel and focus on an object 100 yards away. Without moving the rifle you can then look through the scope and adjust until the reticle is covering the same point you were looking at through the bore.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Were the groups tight?

I have a Vortex PST 6-24x, badger 20moa mount, and LaRue rings on a .308 Savage 10PC. I zeroed at 100 yards without an issue but I don't know how much elevation I had left and, besides, we have different models of scopes.

According to Vortex, my scope has 65moa of elevation; yours appears to be a Viper HS series and Vortex says it has 50moa of elevation. So 50/2=25moa and you have a 20moa base so you should have 5moa (or 20 clicks) left over to play with. If it's the scope, Votex will fix it.

a 30moa mount would mathematically explain your problem pretty much to a tee... are you sure it's a 20moa mount?

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A 20 MOA base should not cause any problems getting a rifle zeroed at 100 yards.

If the scope has 50MOA elevation available and it zeroes right in the center of that range (with a flat base) you would end up with 25MOA up and 25MOA down. When you put a 20MOA base under it you should, in theory, be getting an addition 20MOA of useful elevation back. That would give you 45MOA of elevation which should be enough to get a 175gr SMK to 1K yards unless you're shooting a 16" barrel.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    A 20 MOA base should not cause any problems getting a rifle zeroed at 100 yards.

If the scope has 50MOA elevation available and it zeroes right in the center of that range (with a flat base) you would end up with 25MOA up and 25MOA down. When you put a 20MOA base under it you should, in theory, be getting an addition 20MOA of useful elevation back. That would give you 45MOA of elevation which should be enough to get a 175gr SMK to 1K yards unless you're shooting a 16" barrel.

I think we said the same thing, but I like the way you said it better.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Trying to shoot a scoped rifle with a 20MOA base at 100 yards will ALWAYS be a useless exercise. The ENTIRE purpose of a 20MOA base is to allow hits within the range of most scopes at 800 to 1000 yards. (for a 308)

A 20 MOA base usually is not used for less than 300 yards, and if it is used for the short range shots under 300 yards, careful data must be recorded and hold-offs must be used.

This is part of pre-planning what the intended use of the rifle is going to be when purchasing components. If most of your shots are going to be 600 yards or less, a standard scope base is all that is needed. If you are going to concentrate on long range, 800 to 1,000 yards or beyond, you need the 20 MOA base. But you must acknowledge that the short range shooting will be more difficult.

That is how it is. Don't blame the scope because it doesn't have enough clicks. That isn't fair. You bought the base to have enough clicks at long range. You shouldn't wonder why it doesn't have enough clicks at short range. You cannot have it all, my friend......

Top Bottom