• R700 or Savage?

• Total voters

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Need the opinions of my fellow INGO'ers on this one. Im planning on making a precision bolt action rifle. Caliber will be 308 and I'd like to take it to 1000 yards so I'd like a barrel length of 20 in or more. Budget for the base rifle is $1000 or less. I plan on upgrading it as time goes on but I need to get the base rifle first! I'm torn between a R700 and a Savage. I'm a little concerned about the QC issues I've been reading about on here with the newer R700's coming out and group think on here is that a Savage is more accurate out of the box. That being said the amount of aftermarket parts for the R700 is on par with Glocks so there is that to consider as well. I know this is kind of like a Ford vs. Chevy argument but I'd like to know what people's opinions are. Also if there is a better option feel free to make a suggestion. I am wanting a more modern rifle and am not interested in taking a mil-surp rifle and sporterizing it so please don't make that suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Spartan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Floyd Co
    New to the forum but I own the Savage Model 10 FCP Marpat Digital, three of my buddies own 700 in 308. There very close but the Savage edges out the 700 in accuracy. Either gun would be more that accurate for most applications, even though I own and Savage I wouldn't mind owning a 700.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a Savage/Stevens 200 in .223 for varmints. Like it and it shoots very well for a light contour barrel. I picked up another 200 in .308, and had it rebarreled to a .458 SOCOM for deer hunting. My long range reach out there and touch something rig is a Howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. It will stack rounds on top of each other as long as I do my part.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    BOTH are great. it's not like either one would let you down. That said, I'd lean towards the savage just cause of remington QC. If QC weren't an issue, I'd probably get the Rem700 hands down. If you don't need to upgrade a lot of stuff, you could also look at Tikka's tactical line (less aftermarket parts available)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've done extensive testing to find out the answer to this question. The answer Ive came up with is flip a coin. If you plan to rebarrel at some time go savage. The accuracy differences are so small that either could win at any time.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, its a Ford v. Chevy argument - either will likely outshoot the overwhelming majority of owners out of the box.

I chose Savage, because I like to tinker myself and could build whatever I wanted for a fraction of the cost and time investment of having a 700 sent to a gunsmith. The bolt lift is clunkier, some folks don't like the barrel nut, whatever...spend your money and take your chances.

The Savage aftermarket has come a LONG way in the last few years, there's not THAT much available for a 700 that isn't for a Savage.

A Tikka action will make the best 700 feel like a hunk of crap, but again, you're in the same place with costs as the 700.

I've got a 24" 10TR with 15 rounds down it that I'm thinking of selling..because see my signature line.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I had to go with Bacon. To me, it is six in one hand and a half dozen in the other. I don't know about the quality issues with Remington as of late...probably has something to do with them being procured by Freedom Group. Seems like when stuff like that happens, i.e. too big, the quality control tends to suffer. :popcorn:

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    What if you threw a Tikka T3 into the mix, i know the T3 tac is like $1500, but looks like it come with a much better stock, threaded barrel, picatinny rail, 5 shot magazine. Just curious. I'm looking for a long range gun myself.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What if you threw a Tikka T3 into the mix, i know the T3 tac is like $1500, but looks like it come with a much better stock, threaded barrel, picatinny rail, 5 shot magazine. Just curious. I'm looking for a long range gun myself.

Personally I think he narrowed it down to the right 2 the first time. You can get a Savage with a threaded barrel and an AI stock for about the same moeny. The AI stock fixed the detachable mag issue, and the flimsy stock issue.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I knew Savage aftermarket had come a long ways over the last few years. Allen, that AI stock is just sick looking and probably the way I want to go eventually. Seems like we are getting a lot of Savage love here in the comments but the poll is favoring the R700, I always find that interesting!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Well, I have to vote Savage. After all, when you can get a setup like this (shameless plug :): ) shipped to your FFL in the $550 range and check off most of your needs for just over half your budget (and put the savings into optics and ammo) it seems like a simple choice.

All plugs aside, changing the barrel on the Savage really is pretty easy. Get the model that gets you started practicing, and know you can readily upgrade components as your skill level and budget allow. :twocents:

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I like the Savage single shot target action. An action without a huge hole for a magazine in the bottom and a huge hole for ejection in the top is massively stronger. My LRPV (.223) is right bolt/left port and the port is much smaller than you might expect. Big heavy gun shoots and rides the bags very well. Some folks have always thought Savages were ugly compared to Remington's classic looks but looks don't shoot!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm a 700 fan. I prefer them to Savage in the looks and feel department which is important to me. That said I wouldn't buy a stock Remington and race a stock Savage for pink slips, Savage has more than proven their ability to produce accurate rifles. Both are worth considering and at this point the decision largely boils down to what suits your fancy.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    bacon

bacon-bacon-sandwich-food-funny-demotivational-poster-1250121881.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    BOTH are great. it's not like either one would let you down. That said, I'd lean towards the savage just cause of remington QC. If QC weren't an issue, I'd probably get the Rem700 hands down. If you don't need to upgrade a lot of stuff, you could also look at Tikka's tactical line (less aftermarket parts available)

THat's what I was thinking. Very smooth & nice guns. Likely little/no upgrades needed. ...but then again most upgrades aren't needed, they're just things we do :)

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I personally like the rem 700. I have the SPS Varmint with the 26" 1:12 twist and it is capable of 1/2moa at 200yrds. I have since done some upgrades and hoping the accuracy improves a little at least.

I think the bolt is smoother on the remington than the savages I have shot/fondled.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I've done extensive testing to find out the answer to this question. The answer Ive came up with is flip a coin. If you plan to rebarrel at some time go savage. The accuracy differences are so small that either could win at any time.

As soon as I read the OP, I just looked for your post for the answer.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Savages satisfy a lot of people who shoot square ranges only when the sun is shining. Mating a cupcake rifle to a tank chassis raises eyebrows among those of us who know better, but we are in short supply.

In similar fashion, if for some reason a long action rifle chambered for a short action cartridge appeals to you, the T3 accommodates.

Top Bottom