• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Just picked up a 700 30-06, came with leupold rings and base. Looking to peg coyotes with it, any suggestions scope wise? id love to put a nikon or leupold on it down the line but its not in the funds right now. Is there such thing as a decent scope for $100- $150?

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Scopes aren't really my thing (i like fixed, steel sights), but I'll offer some advice.
    get something that pulls in a lot of light, most coyotes are seen in little light. 300 yards is probably the longest that a coyote is going to be shot, so you don't to worry about getting a real long distance scope
    maybe this website will help you out --
    Varmint Hunting With The AR-15 Type Rifle - Part I

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on a nice rifle. I have the 700 5r in 308.
    I had a Leupold VX3 on a 30-30 lever action once. It was a nice scope. Went closer to $500 though.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a 700 in 30-06, and I use a Bushnell Banner, 4-16x40 for plinking in the 250yd range and that would probably work out perfectly for you with yotes. You can pick one up for around 130 I believe at Walmart.com or pay the extra 15-25 bucks and support your local gunshop. I picked mine up used from a gunshop for... 100 even I think? Its a nice scope and I have no complaints for the two years I've had it.

Edit: A bushnell Banner just popped up on classifieds. See Here:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...65-6x_24x_40_bushnell_banner_rifle_scope.html

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo this one is a no brainer, simmons whitetail classic i believe they are 6.5-20x50. you can find them on sale at midway for 100ish. they are probably the best bang for your buck scope on the market. get a mil recticle and use the dots as holdover on a set power setting

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Maybe someone can explain some stuff for me, first off let me say this is my first rifle that you would consider any sort of long range. While i have shot 30-06 before it was sighted in for the distance and i just put the crosshairs were i wanted to shoot. How does the mil dot work in order for distance ? I really like the nikon bdc because it seems rather idiot proof , you only have to sight it in at 100 and then go down a dot for every 100 yards

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Maybe someone can explain some stuff for me, first off let me say this is my first rifle that you would consider any sort of long range. While i have shot 30-06 before it was sighted in for the distance and i just put the crosshairs were i wanted to shoot. How does the mil dot work in order for distance ? I really like the nikon bdc because it seems rather idiot proof , you only have to sight it in at 100 and then go down a dot for every 100 yards

the mil do system is a way to take measurments and get yardage. on ffp scopes it does this on any power setting. on sfp scopes it has to be on a set power. basically with ffp the recitcle grows and shrinks at the same rate as the image magnifies and demagnifies.

there is more than any optics company will let on about there bdc systems. they do work and are a good idea but its not as symple as sighting in @ 100 and your good for other distances. since every rifle and every ammo is diffrent you have to find out what the bdc recticle lines up with your rifle/ammo.

if the company says the dots are 100-200-300-400-500

they may be 100-175-250-300-350, or some other distance. you just have to put some rounds down range and find out what it is

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I looked a scopes that have BDC recticles, before I decided on my last scope. From what I read and researched. A lot of them are set up for a 55 grain .223 round. That's why I just went with a mil dor recticle. You can still use the mil dots to measure the size of a target, and figure out distance to target.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    There are a lot of different attributes to explain in regards to optics and I will try to explain the best I can. This may be a long read, read it a couple of times and PM me with any questions.

There are two different types of Focal planes. The first is First focal Plane (FFP) and the second is well Second Focal Plane (SFP).

FFP- The crosshairs grow or shrink in relation to the magnification. This means that when you zoom in and your target gets bigger, the crosshairs get bigger and look like they spread apart. This helps because when you see your bullet hit 1 dot low and 1 dot to the right you can just adjust your turrets and fire. Also another benefit to this is ranging your target. If you know how tall it is in inches you can use a formula to find distance. (Target size inches X 27.8 / mil read) Lets just say that you know the target is roughly 3ft or 36 inches. You read that it is 5 mil high in your scope. Multiply 36 and 27.8 and you get 1000.8. Now divide by 5 and you get 200. Your target is 200 yards away.

SFP- The crosshairs stay the same size in relation to magnification. This means that the target shrinks or gets bigger and your crosshairs look exactly the same. This is beneficial because sometimes with FFP when zoomed in too much, the lines are a little thick and when zoomed out, its hard to read the reticle. The reticle is only correct in relation to the target at one magnification and that is usually max zoom. The owners manual will state which one it is. A trick to getting around this is just say that 20x is that magnification that will correspond correctly. If you are at 10x, just take everything by 1/2. At 5x take everything by 1/4.

Next is matching reticle and turret. Most low cost scopes have Mil reticles and MOA turrets. A mil is equal to 3.6 inches at 100 yards. A MOA is equal to roughly 1 inch at 100 yards.

Now lets assume you have FFP or you are at the magnification in which it matches. Looking through the crosshair you see that your bullet hit one mil dot low and 1 mil dot right at 100 yards. This means that you need to adjust 3.6 inches low and right. Most scopes turrets in MOA are at 1/4 inch. To get the correct adjustments you need to basically divide 3.6 by .25 and you get ~14, You need to adjust 14 clicks down and 14 right.

Now look at Mil/Mil and MOA/MOA scopes with the same situation, this is easier I promise. Mil/Mil scopes has 10 clicks to = 1 mil. It means that you now only need to go 10 down and 10 right to get the same thing. If it was 3 high and 4.5 left then it would be 30 clicks up and 45 clicks left.

MOA/MOA Each dot or hash mark is roughly 1 inch at 100 yards and like I said because the turret clicks are usually 1/4 inches. Now your bullet hits 1 hash down and 1 right. You need to adjust 4 clicks down and 4 right. If it was 8 hashes up and 2 hashes left you would need to adjust 32 clicks up and 8 clicks left.

Last edited:

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I bought a osprey international from sportsmans guide.com it's not the best but for $149 it got my 30-06 on the target at 600 yards roughly with very little adjustment. It's hard to see but its the scope on the rifle pic to the left.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Buckmaster is mil dot reticle but has moa turrets. As said above, most of your cheaper scopes will have that combination. I like the scope though, more so than a standard reticle. Once you learn to use the mil dots. You can use them to hold off, and not have to adjust your windage and elevation.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    My Buckmaster is mil dot reticle but has moa turrets. As said above, most of your cheaper scopes will have that combination. I like the scope though, more so than a standard reticle. Once you learn to use the mil dots. You can use them to hold off, and not have to adjust your windage and elevation.

To be honest, as far as general target practice or hunting, you can get used to using any combination and it does not matter too much. Its just easier to use Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA. The important thing is RELIABILITY. If your scope can not hold a zero, you can not make accurate shots. You adjust and shoot only to find that you are further off than before.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    The SWFA Super Sniper scope is a great choice with many different offerings. They are rugged and have great glass for the price. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom