• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wow, thanks disposable. More great info. If not mounting on the forearm where then?

Elzetta makes a good tube mounted rail that sandwiches between the mag and barrel. It places the light a bit more forward than on the handguard or other place. Lights on shotguns are like my son on the couch: Get off the furniture. I think Speedfeed or someone makes a rail section that fits in the magazine tube somewhere that's nice, but can be damaged with poor handling (handling you might not do and would likely break the light anyway, so no lost or hurt feelings). I have one, but cannot remember who made it. The mounting flange is a bit flimsy and can bend, but it required ALOT of pressure to bend it (like jamming it into a door frame trying to shoot over a car, lol).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Also, I forgot: Magazine extensions: Get a quality one (Tacstar is not terrible, there are a few really good ones, I like the Wilsons) but whatever you do, get a Wolff spring for the appropriate round count. In fact, get a Wolff spring (even with 4-5 factory round counts) and a Police/Wingmaster carrier dog spring as well. The magazine spring is pretty cheap and good insurance against failure. Wolff has forgotten more about springs than we will ever know when it comes to firearms springs and you want POSITIVE function in feeding.

So... at the end of the day, most folks just buy an AR for HD after how much they see it is to convert a shotgun into a GOOD HD gun and how many factory weakpoints the 870 can have, but that said, you will have a trusted arm at the end of the day that will be flexible and the only failure would be ammo or you. :)

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Elzetta makes a good tube mounted rail that sandwiches between the mag and barrel. It places the light a bit more forward than on the handguard or other place. Lights on shotguns are like my son on the couch: Get off the furniture. I think Speedfeed or someone makes a rail section that fits in the magazine tube somewhere that's nice, but can be damaged with poor handling (handling you might not do and would likely break the light anyway, so no lost or hurt feelings). I have one, but cannot remember who made it. The mounting flange is a bit flimsy and can bend, but it required ALOT of pressure to bend it (like jamming it into a door frame trying to shoot over a car, lol).

Thanks much, looks good.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wow, thanks disposable. More great info. If not mounting on the forearm where then?

You can mount directly to the magazine tube. This is the route I would like to go, not only for better stability, but wouldn't having a light mounted to the forearm mean that the focal point of the light is going to shift when racking the slide? Personally I want the light to stay consistently aimed at where I'm pointing the gun.

ZSM.jpg

ETA: Since DH beat me to it, the mount in the photo above is the Elzetta Mount ($40). - https://www.elzetta.com/product/zsm/

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks Kirk, really informative. I appreciate you taking the time. Any suggestion on barrels?

Your weapon has no barrel? Or, you want a "new" one? Ok, I give, why do you want a new barrel?

No, no suggestion. Whatever barrel you get you are going to have to pattern it.

I am fortunate that all my ST FBIs like Hornady TAP and Fed Flite No. 1. However, only 1 of them likes the Fed RR No. 4 (bought an s-load of it before discontinued) that I still rock at gun school.

Go measure your house (and longest shot) then go pattern the gun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Generally a clamp on mount that clamps to the barrel and the mag tube on the week-hand side. Can either be a small piece of rail that you mount a light to or it'll also have a round 1" clamp to insert a light into - depending on what kind of light you want.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am not a big fan of extended mag tubes. Each to his own. Not a fan of the weight out front.

I have seen them all go TU at school, but like DH said, if you get one, don't go craptical. Spend the dough and get a solid piece of gear.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am not a big fan of extended mag tubes. Each to his own. Not a fan of the weight out front.

I have seen them all go TU at school, but like DH said, if you get one, don't go craptical. Spend the dough and get a solid piece of gear.

Are you only referencing aftermarket tube extensions? What about OEM tubes designed for higher capacity?

I have a Maverick 88 "Security model with a 20 in. barrel and 8 round tube, but it's a single piece, not an extension.

42628_1.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Are you only referencing aftermarket tube extensions? What about OEM tubes designed for higher capacity?

I have a Maverick 88 "Security model with a 20 in. barrel and 8 round tube, but it's a single piece, not an extension.

42628_1.jpg

Factory extensions are usually okay, albeit, Mossberg springs are the chinziest things on the planet and while difficult to replace, are a MUST in my book to learn how to and have the part handy. I've had them set before, even with 5 shot tubes. You can unscrew the mag tube, but requires a good vice and Sampson-like powers. Don't cut your hair for a while holmes!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

42628_1.jpg

I don't like extensions as they impact the balance of the weapon. He wants to learn to move and groove with it in the house, yes?

First step, throw the mag tube extension over the berm.

Second step, get a blue gun and marry it.

Third step, get a class or three.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Your weapon has no barrel? Or, you want a "new" one? Ok, I give, why do you want a new barrel?

No, no suggestion. Whatever barrel you get you are going to have to pattern it.

I am fortunate that all my ST FBIs like Hornady TAP and Fed Flite No. 1. However, only 1 of them likes the Fed RR No. 4 (bought an s-load of it before discontinued) that I still rock at gun school.

Go measure your house (and longest shot) then go pattern the gun.

I wanted to put a shorter barrel on it. Thinking 18.5

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wanted to put a shorter barrel on it. Thinking 18.5

Ok, sure thing. We used to sell them in giant rain barrels at Galyan's. Buy a new barrel and pattern it.

I keep my shotguns Title I. See no reason to go shorter. Get the muzzle away from my face.

Clint Smith does that cool compare and contrast between longs guns and pistols showing distinctions without difference in the protrusion department.

Here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_APnhoIYeD0&t=42s

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ok, sure thing. We used to sell them in giant rain barrels at Galyan's. Buy a new barrel and pattern it.

I keep my shotguns Title I. See no reason to go shorter. Get the muzzle away from my face.

Clint Smith does that cool compare and contrast between longs guns and pistols showing distinctions without difference in the protrusion department.

Here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_APnhoIYeD0&t=42s

I got a single shot H&R single shot 20 gauge and had my buddy take it down to 18 1/2 and I took an inch off the butt stock...Sort of a modern version of the "blanket gun" for keeping out by the tub up at the farm...I got a butt cuff on it that holds 5 shells....He put a day glow sight on it....

If I had it to do over again I would have made it 20 inches....

28105925990.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have seen, in the past, a shotgun fore grip that has a built in flash light, where do you get those? I've googled, but haven't found them....kinda like to get one for my Tac-14

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If you consider the Surefire forend, I suggest making an effort to try one before you buy it. I had one and sold it. The area available to grip the forend (between the arrows in the pic below) is fairly short. I never could get a comfortable grip.

VEic2gx.jpg

Top Bottom