Remington model 597 .22 auto new purchase/review.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    I just picked up one of these from Walmart for ~$166 (with employee discount), complete with remington scope and 1 mag. I had read about the jamming issue that plagued many of these when first released, but I hoped for the best. So far, I've put about 60 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind, which is not a lot I know, but it makes me hopeful that I got a late model extractor.

Out of the box with no lube, I put 10 rds through it quickly and all the shots went exactly where I was aiming at 20 yards. The next day (Yesterday) my girls and I shot 50 rounds at 25 yards and again it seemed spot-on. The glass is pretty good for a scope that probably cost $25 to make :)

My impression is that it's a quality firearm, particularly for the money. The Remington plastic stock is stiffer and stronger than my last low-budget Savage rifle stock. The barrel is quite a bit heaver than other manufacturer's rifles in the same price range, and is very nearly a 'heavy barrel' profile. The smooth blue finish is good for the price. The receiver's logo etching has been factory filled with white paint, which makes for a nice look. The smoothness of the action is very acceptable for the money. One note on disassembly--I couldn't get the bolt/spring/slide mechanism out of the receiver during my first cleaning last night. I know it must come out, but it was definitely not intuitive how that happens, and will doubtless require a little youtube or other online research to figure it out.

Based on first tests and shooting, I'd say that it is going to make a fine target/squirrel/plinker rifle. Certainly my girls enjoy it, they couldn't wait to set up cans and targets on our dirt pile for some plinking.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Bought one new about 15 years ago. Nice barrel and stock, but a jam o matic. Tried different magazines, different ammo, no go. Sold it to Gander Mountain for about half what it cost me. Was living in IL at the time and didn't want the hassle of a private sale in a communist state.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I've had a pair of them for my boys for the last few years and never had any issues. I've been happy with them. I bought them because they were cheaper than the 10/22.

Top Bottom