• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    What a shocker. Cerebus sucked them dry, I just hope someone can reanimate the body.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-file-for-bankruptcy-sources-idUSKBN1FT04C
    A huge contribution to their money problems are quality(lack of). They were out a lot of money for the failed generation 1 of the R51. I picked up the gen 2 version. I've put about 500 hassle free rounds through it. However in the back of my mind I can't convince myself it's reliable. They probably should have concentrated on long guns. Its always a shame when an iconic brand dies off.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On the other hand, the folks at Mossberg and Thompson are cranking out some nice rifles, and at reasonable prices.
    I've recently picked up a Compass in .243Winchester and a Patriot in .30-06Springfield.

Ruger has, IMO, up'd their game and expanded both their product line and appeal over the last several years as well. I am not very knowledgeable about rifles, mind you, but I really like the "American" line up.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It's always kind of sad when the names you knew dry up and go away. Who remembers Westinghouse? RCA? Kodak? I do. At one time, they were big names in their particular industries. Looks like Remington is on their way of being one of them.

A couple of moons ago I was part of the last big group hired at the Muncie Westinghouse plant. The G.E. style medium core transformers we made there were bulletproof. I don't know much about the heavy transformer industry now, but I hope someone copied that design.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    But some companies should know better. . .

I agree with all of the comments about this being business as usual, and that the capital investment cronies had just this in mind for the company. And for helping themselves to another free [for them] lunch on the Riviera. I also have nothing but prayers and good will for the craftsmen who have to go through this mess. But I have no sympathy for the bloody fools who caused this. It's one thing to run with the wind and the latest fad at Wharton/Kelly/MBA farm if you're a tech startup or a entrepeneur. But the management of a century + old firm that has been through world wars and the Great Depression ought to have a realistic long term economic survival plan.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Part of it, is managers that only keep their eyes on the Quarter Reports, and don't give a Rat's Ass about the long term effects.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm certainly no Trump fanboi, but to pin that on Trump is absurd.

The article is more fair in the sense that it really says HRC's loss eased fears of gun control, so the panic buying diminished. That's not really Trump's fault.

Clickbait headline.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know if it was a failure to adapt. But I think they lost sight of who they are. They built that brand on high quality firearms at attainable prices. The 870 was made for half a century, and the first ones were still going strong. The 1100 was a really nice autoloader. And the 700 was the gold standard of production bolt guns. The Army, USMC, and every PD big enough to have a sniper used the 700. But ours is an economy based not on steady consistency, but growth. Everyone wants their shares to go up. So how to do that? Cut costs on production of the legacy stuff, and try to follow trends to open up new lines. Well, they're too big for stuff like that. They should never have gotten caught up in the bargain barrel bolt action market. Everyone is making AR's, there is no need for a Remington version. Did they really think the world needed another polymer striker fired pistol? The old designs were simple, but they were great firearms for on reason: quality. They were well executed. They stopped building with quality and tried to compensate with new lines of poorly made or conceived stuff.

TL/DR: they took a brand built on quality, turned every product into crap, then made more types of crap. It was bound to fail.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I don't know if it was a failure to adapt. But I think they lost sight of who they are. They built that brand on high quality firearms at attainable prices. The 870 was made for half a century, and the first ones were still going strong. The 1100 was a really nice autoloader. And the 700 was the gold standard of production bolt guns. The Army, USMC, and every PD big enough to have a sniper used the 700. But ours is an economy based not on steady consistency, but growth. Everyone wants their shares to go up. So how to do that? Cut costs on production of the legacy stuff, and try to follow trends to open up new lines. Well, they're too big for stuff like that. They should never have gotten caught up in the bargain barrel bolt action market. Everyone is making AR's, there is no need for a Remington version. Did they really think the world needed another polymer striker fired pistol? The old designs were simple, but they were great firearms for on reason: quality. They were well executed. They stopped building with quality and tried to compensate with new lines of poorly made or conceived stuff.

TL/DR: they took a brand built on quality, turned every product into crap, then made more types of crap. It was bound to fail.

Agreed. A company can only turn out so many bad products before it catches up to them. Remington should have stayed focused on their long guns rather than get into the handgun market.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This morning's local news said that Remington made a cash settlement with the Sandy Hook survivors. This could have been an expensive deal.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Thankfully, Bushmaster is still with us in reality. Wyndham Weaponry... I wonder if they want the Bushmaster name back.

I just bought a Windam Weaponry VEX after doing a lot of research. I'm new to the AR game; but, fit, finish and performance(...so far) are top notch. I doubt they want to re-associate with a name ruined by the take over/relocation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, mine too. That's just crazy !

If my child is killed I would be hurt/angry/vengeful so on. How does punishing a gun manf. financially fix this or replace any portion of the lost loved one. It is crap and no I would not do this. I would be more interested in sharing the pain with the accused and family.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    If my child is killed I would be hurt/angry/vengeful so on. How does punishing a gun manf. financially fix this or replace any portion of the lost loved one. It is crap and no I would not do this. I would be more interested in sharing the pain with the accused and family.

"
    I would be more interested in sharing the pain with the accused and family. "

This is true CM, but as said before....Follow the $$$....

Top Bottom