• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I liked three detectives sets please!. Speaking of memories, I remember when when I would grab my dads 22 rifle (that was propped against the wall next to the back door) to shoot at (and sometimes hit) 'critters' messing in our garden. Heck, we ate out of that garden for months!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Man I grew up to late. My generation never knew the joy of guns by mail, unrestricted gun sales, and the concept of personal responsibility. After seeing that, and hearing the stories y'all share I am deepy saddened by that.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    We had them all, defending the streets of Detroit, playing alley commando, getting ready for a place we didnt know called Vietnam.
    So many cap guns, tommy guns even a spring loaded bazooka that shot out a plastic sabot. Oh how I long for those days we used to play ARMY...........then later I went and did it all for real.

Kids today cant have that much fun, what a shame.

Plastic M-1s, Lugers, .45 auto, cowboy cap guns, winchester rifles, bazookas, grenades, we had it all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Oh that brings back memories. My brother had that set. We played "army" and "detective" for hours. One of the neighbor kids had every toy gun on the market. We used our imagination and had a blast. We defeated "Comminism" (didn't know what it was back then, but we defeated it).
    Today, if someone sees a toy gun, my neighbors freak out. I just remember the good old days.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Man my generation suck. Go out with a toy tommy gun now you get shot by the cops. Go out with a toy tommy then you have hours of fun shooting safe shooting shells. Wasnt there a time where you could order a full auto tommy no questions asked?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wasnt there a time where you could order a full auto tommy no questions asked?

Sadly yes. From what I hear from the "older guys" in the 50s you could mail order the full auto tommy guns from the US government. These were surplus weapons from WW II that the .gov no longer wanted. They would be shipped to you in a box via US postal service to your doorstep! :faint:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Sadly yes. From what I hear from the "older guys" in the 50s you could mail order the full auto tommy guns from the US government. These were surplus weapons from WW II that the .gov no longer wanted. They would be shipped to you in a box via US postal service to your doorstep! :faint:
    In a violin case :(

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had something similar as a kid, but I remember mine had the round 50 shot mag. Worked the same, you pull back the bolt and then it made a "pop" when you pulled the trigger.
    I don't remember it taking caps. I think the pop was made by a couple of piece of metal slapping inside.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I remember lusting over the Hopalong Cassidy dual cap pistols with holsters(yes, one for each hip / hand. Saturday morning heroes....good guys always won, so we had to take turns playing Hopalong so everyone could win. (except li'l sis... she just didn't make a good Hopalong :D)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Did anyone have the little snubby revolver that took the red caps? The cylinder pivoted like a real one and the red caps were in a ring that just laid in the cylinder.

Mine kind of looked like this one only it was a black snubby without the goofy red/orange cap.

toy-cap-gun.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Wasnt there a time where you could order a full auto tommy no questions asked?

Prior to 1934 and the NFA.

I'm a little to young for pre-'68 mail order Title 1 but I had a couple of neat rifles that had a plastic cartridge with a spring in it. The bullet had a long tail that acted as a primer and when it was hit the spring released and propelled the bullet pretty smartly. Mom confiscated my rounds after a news report that they could shoot your eye out (and they probably could).

Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    Originally Posted by dowalker
    Only $399.50 on ebay!
    [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/Mattel-TOY-Tommy-Burst-Dick-Tracy-Machine-Cap-Gun-/310328912118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48410b68f6"]Mattel TOY Tommy Burst Dick Tracy Machine Cap Gun | eBay[/ame]

Love the fake red cap for ebay

Top Bottom