Removing/Storing my carry weapon in my car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    So i just recently got my LTCH and started carrying. What methods do you guys prefer for removing your firearm from your person and storing it when you absolutely have to leave it in your car? Say at work or other prohibited areas. I currently carry a Rock Island 1911 using a IWB MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters and I am just unsure how to go about disarming and re-arming myself. Do you unholster your weapon, lock it away, and continue to wear your holster? Remove the entire holster with weapon and store it? I know with my holster i basically have to undo my pants to get it on easily, so just removing the firearm would seem preferable, but from reading the forum that seems to be frowned upon. And on the securing side of things, what do you guys recommend for securing the firearm? I was looking at the GunVault Microvault and Microvault XL, any recommendations or ones to steer clear of? Any and all information and advice is greatly appreciated. :yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My preference is to remove the entire holster, with the firearm still in it, and lock it away. Usually means a larger lockbox.

If you KNOW you will be dis- and re-arming frequently, a paddle holster might make some sense. I have one for such occasions, myself. My IWB is also removable without undressing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Best option is to remove holster with gun in it. Then place the holstered gun in some sort of safe.

Second (but less preferable option) would be to remove holster with gun in it. Then carefully transfer the gun to a small safe cabled to the seat frame. Not all af these safes will allow a person to keep the gun holstered.

Generally speaking most accidents happen when holstering, unholstering or handling a gun. Don't over complicate the situation, Just think about that when making a decision.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I'm not concerned so much about the safety of holstering and unholstering - as that should be routine for someone who carries a gun every day - but I am concerned with who sees me removing my firearm and how it's stored in my vehicle.

Always do your best to pull somewhere you're not going to be seen removing your firearm. If that's unavoidable, try to blade your body to block the onlookers and maybe even play it off like you're doing something else.

When I drive a car I simply pull it out and stash it under the seat for quick trips or lock it up in the trunk for extended periods. In my Jeep I have a huge lock box that I keep all my other gear in so if I decide to disarm I'll put my firearm in there.

Like your first few months carrying, this is one of those deals where you think it's a really big deal but nobody around you really even notices. If you're going to be carrying and then locking up each day, get a good lock box installed somewhere convenient on your vehicle. If not, and this is just an occasional, "I better leave my gun in the car" just stash it in the trunk or under the seat.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm not concerned so much about the safety of holstering and unholstering - as that should be routine for someone who carries a gun every day - but I am concerned with who sees me removing my firearm and how it's stored in my vehicle.

If I know I am going to a GFZ I will often stop a few blocks before I get there so no one observes my actions and then sees me walking away from my car. I do have a cabled lock box but not being seen is more important as well as not having a bunch of NRA stickers all over my car.

My wife does the same thing when leaving her purse in her car, stop a few blocks before, hide it in the trunk, and then drive to her destination and simply hop out of the car and lock it.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    My preference is to remove the entire holster, with the firearm still in it, and lock it away. Usually means a larger lockbox.

If you KNOW you will be dis- and re-arming frequently, a paddle holster might make some sense. I have one for such occasions, myself. My IWB is also removable without undressing.
    I will have to look into getting a paddle holster. I know i will be disarming and rearming frequently just because carrying is not an option at my work and that was my main reason for this thread.

Always do your best to pull somewhere you're not going to be seen removing your firearm. If that's unavoidable, try to blade your body to block the onlookers and maybe even play it off like you're doing something else.

When I drive a car I simply pull it out and stash it under the seat for quick trips or lock it up in the trunk for extended periods. In my Jeep I have a huge lock box that I keep all my other gear in so if I decide to disarm I'll put my firearm in there.

Like your first few months carrying, this is one of those deals where you think it's a really big deal but nobody around you really even notices. If you're going to be carrying and then locking up each day, get a good lock box installed somewhere convenient on your vehicle. If not, and this is just an occasional, "I better leave my gun in the car" just stash it in the trunk or under the seat.
    Someone seeing me was my main concern, if i can remove the holster and all and re-arm myself while sitting down in the car that would be ideal, i think the paddle holster for going to/from work will help alot with that. Also I figured i could store a GunVault under my passenger seat so i would have easy access and not have to worry about someone seeing me pull out and put away my gun in my truck every day. And i understand what you mean about the first few months, it still feels like the whole world is looking at me everytime i'm out and about.

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    If I know I am going to a GFZ I will often stop a few blocks before I get there so no one observes my actions and then sees me walking away from my car. I do have a cabled lock box but not being seen is more important as well as not having a bunch of NRA stickers all over my car.

My wife does the same thing when leaving her purse in her car, stop a few blocks before, hide it in the trunk, and then drive to her destination and simply hop out of the car and lock it.

Same for me! I have a NanoVault cabled in my trunk. This usually only happens when I need to go into my kids' school. I stop in a big parking lot about a mile away to disarm. Don't want to scare all the soccer moms, them call the cops, and cause a big scene.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Holy crap that Liberty safe is expensive.

You can get three of these safes, medium sized and all keyed the same, for $77+S/H. Each safe comes with a cable that you can use to lock it to the drivers car seat and store the safe under it. I have one in each car, and a third goes in my travel bag so that I can lock it up when traveling wherever I may be (at someone else's house when going swimming for instance). The key is on my keychain that I always have with me.

In Car Gun Lockers

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I just yank it out of the holster and toss it up on the dash. I do make sure I set the alarm though.

add purple where necessary

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I second the paddle holster for that situation. I have a friend that uses a Fobus roto holster when he drives. Since it can rotate he has it angled so it fits on his left side in kind of a cross draw position so the seatbelt doesn't interfere.

As far as storage, we have these.
    Console Vault | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

They are not cheap and are built very well. With our model someone could destroy the entire console trying to get it out and not manage. If you are planning on keeping your vehicle for a long time they might be worth a look.

Edit:

Wow. I did not realize those have went up in price so much. I took a closer look at the site again after I posted. We bought ours 3 years ago. We went with the 4 digit keyless (which is an option) and paid less than $200 each for them. Ours would now be priced at $305 on sale. :abused:

Last edited:

JEDenny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Georgetown

You can get three of these safes, medium sized and all keyed the same, for $77+S/H. Each safe comes with a cable that you can use to lock it to the drivers car seat and store the safe under it. I have one in each car, and a third goes in my travel bag so that I can lock it up when traveling wherever I may be (at someone else's house when going swimming for instance). The key is on my keychain that I always have with me.

In Car Gun Lockers

I do like the idea of having them keyed the same. However, In Car Gun Locker is only made of 21 gauge - that's 0.033" as compared to Liberty's construction of 16 gauge - 0.060". Double the thickness. I have a feeling that the lesser gauge box could be pried open in a short amount of time. I also like the touch combo pad, piston assisted opening and light inside. If you need to get inside it quick do you always have the key ready? I know its more $ but I think its worth the price. But if cheep is all your looking for than you found the right box.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I do like the idea of having them keyed the same. However, In Car Gun Locker is only made of 21 gauge - that's 0.033" as compared to Liberty's construction of 16 gauge - 0.060". Double the thickness. I have a feeling that the lesser gauge box could be pried open in a short amount of time. I also like the touch combo pad, piston assisted opening and light inside. If you need to get inside it quick do you always have the key ready? I know its more $ but I think its worth the price. But if cheep is all your looking for than you found the right box.
    I primarily purchase the lock box just to have a safe place to put my handgun, so that kids can't get to it. I don't really even care how well it is secured (cabeled) to the car. I couldn't care less how long it takes for someone to pry open the safe once they run off with it, LOL.

To each his own.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Like young da 9 I use center of mass clamshells in my vehicles, key on my car ring, but you gotta get in and have the bolt cutters for the cable secured under the seat to the seat to get MR. Glock to come out and go home with you.
    A copy of my LTCH, and full size spare mag is included.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

In Car Gun Lockers

Safes are like a big holster, in my opinion... I don't use a thin, floppy holster to secure the firearm on which my life depends, so I pay more for something of better quality. I won't use a thin metal box to secure the firearm on which my life depends, so I pay more for something of better quality. Opinions, like mileage, may vary...

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I prefer the fort Knox safe myself.

Constructed of a rugged 10 gauge body and a massive 3/16” wrap around door. It also features a gas strut to assist opening and a Simplex lock along with our famous Lifetime Warranty.
    4 1/4″ H 12 1/2″ wide 10 3/4″ deep. Weighs 22 pounds

This is where I got the idea.

Jay/lonehoosier

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    I like this. I always leave the gun at home if I would ever have to leave the gun in my car for some time. Thanks for the ideas/ soloutions

Top Bottom