• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I didn't see this posted yet, the blog "My Gun Culture" is working with Brownells and Ruger to pull just that feat off, and they're showing in detail how they are doing it; then they'll be auctioning it off for charity.

The How-to stuff is pretty neat and for how often a 10/22 is recommended for a first gun, or how often they're project guns; I think when the list is done it should be a handy resource for those looking to make their first modifications to a first firearm.

Here's the link that shows all of this project to date:
    Soup It Up For Soldiers - My Gun Culture
    Project description:
    Soup It Up For Soldiers: You Can Get The Ultimate Ruger 10/22 and Benefit Project Valour-IT - My Gun Culture
    Part I:
    Soup It Up For Soldiers - Step 1: Ruger 10/22 Stock Upgrade - My Gun Culture

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Gunsmithing for Dummies

Modfying 10/22s is fun and easy, not to mention addictive. A quick visit to rimfire central and you'll find virtually everything you need to know to modify one to your heart's content. You like tactical? You can do it! You like bench guns? Yup! Wanna' make a M1 carbine knock off? The kit is available! The best part of it is that every modification can be done with one screwdriver and one allen wrench. It's entirely reasonable, if not cheap, to start out with a stock 10/22 carbine and swap-out, modify, paint/coat every part and have a truly unique gun.

You can tell you're hooked when you find yourself ordering parts for guns you don't have YET! I got the bug when you could still find them on sale for $130. I had 12 in 4 different calibers at one time. I think I'm done to half that now.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    And when after all the money spent on parts and all the hours spent on it, you still have a 10/22.:noway:

Yep, I've spent $500-$600 total on my 10/22 (including the price of the gun), and so far its given me more enjoyment than the AR-15 I built. Waiting on the threaded barrel to make it a suppressor host and it will be just like I want it and I'll be able to shoot it all day for next to nothing.

I think its the perfect starter gun for "hobbyists"

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I did it unintentionally and had never had a 10/22. Just started replacing. I replaced every piece except the receiver. I now have an extra complete Ruger 10/22 sans receiver. DOH!

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Just getting ready to build one for my daughter to shoot in Steel Challenge matches. Starting from scratch and trying to buy the best of everything. When I am done I will have lots of money in it but it will be "her gun" just the way she wants it.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    And when after all the money spent on parts and all the hours spent on it, you still have a 10/22.:noway:

I see this argument about a lot of guns and it is silly. It like saying this is still just a pick up

c12_0603_my_garage_03z+chip_foose+1956_ford_f100_pickup_truck.jpg

or this is still just a station wagon

foose-topper.jpg

or this is just a cuda

images

Its about making it yours and not whoever it started as.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Yes, and you'll never get what you put in it out of it, BUT if you choose your parts wisely you can have a reliable, VERY accurate .22 rifle that fits your build and shooting style. Besides getting a lot of attn at the range.:rockwoot:
    DSCN1224.jpg

Can you say .17 Mach2 in semi-auto AND toggle bolt versions?

Top Bottom