• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I have a Glock 17 and 26, both 3rd gen. Is it worth selling them and replacing them with 4th gens?

Also, at some point in the future I would like to "complete the family" with a 19. I'm trying to decide if I should jump now while I can still find Gen 3 19s.

My main concern is lessened recoil for accuracy of follow up shots. The 17 is my nightstand gun, so anything that helps me connect after being waken abruptly is highly desired.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Shot a friend's 4th gen 19 and 17, they do soften up the recoil a little bit (might have to "break them in" though... with warmer ammo). The REAL recoil difference is with a G22. That recoil system really sucks the snap out of the round, but in the already soft G17, it's not a huge difference.

Some (not ALL) folks have reported strange wear patterns and reliability issues with the Gen4. If you decide to get one, shoot it a bunch with your carry load before marching defiantly against crime in the streets. :D IMHO, not worth it, but is cool and adds a used third gen G17 for someone to buy :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Glock 17 and 26, both 3rd gen. Is it worth selling them and replacing them with 4th gens?

Also, at some point in the future I would like to "complete the family" with a 19. I'm trying to decide if I should jump now while I can still find Gen 3 19s.

It would be worth it only if you prefer the Gen 4. Try to borrow one and shoot it. See if the difference would be worth it to you.

As for buying the G19 gen 3.... No need to hurry that decision... The way I understand it is they are continuing to manufacture the gen 3's.... It was the OD frames and night sites they discontinued.

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    My Gen3 would move around in my hand some during firing. The Gen4 26 grip pattern is fabulous and does not move around at all. It seems to lock into your hand but is not too aggresive either. That makes it worth buying!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would not get rid of them unless you prefer the Gen 4 model. There is nothing wrong with the Gen 3s and you have time to complete the family with a G19. The Gen 4 is an option and not a replacement for the Gen 3s from what I understand. I personally prefer the Gen 3 to the Gen 4 and do not plan on owning a Gen 4. Heck both the Glocks I own are Gen 2s and I don't have any problem with that. Just personal prefference, both are good guns just go with what you like best.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Since I haven't found a local range that rents Gen4's yet, I was hoping someone who owns Gen 3 and Gen 4 could comment on the recoil and accuracy of repeat shots.

If anyone in the Indy area knows where I can rent a Gen 4 G17 to shoot back to back, I would be thankful!

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    There is absolutely nothing that a Gen4 can do over a 3. Recoil management is more a factor of the shooter than the gun.

Top Bottom