• ...and so much more!
  • zehn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    A Cube
    Greetings all,
    I'm having problems getting a repeatable powder charge, been told I have OCD, with a Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure.

My question, Is there an alternate powder measure that will work on a Lee 3 hole press?

Reloading equipment is all very corn-fusing to me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Greetings all,
    I'm having problems getting a repeatable powder charge, been told I have OCD, with a Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure.

My question, Is there an alternate powder measure that will work on a Lee 3 hole press?

What's the variation in your throws? I've not heard of an auto-measure that is exact, but it it's not off by much, does it really matter or are you attempting to make match loads?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The adjustable charge bar is an alternative, but frankly the Lee autodisks are holding +/- .1 grain for me. If you need better than that, you better trickle. What powder are you using? Some powders don't measure as well with the wipe off method, and some powders will be consistent, but not throw the calibrated amount the disk says they should because of the powder granule shape. As for your question, you can get an adapter, or have one made for that would allow you to use another powder measure (its just a threaded piece to match the swivel on your Lee), but you might have to manually throw the lever on powder measure as I'm not sure it would hook directly into the Lee chain pull system.

zehn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    A Cube
    The disk throws good enough for plinkers, +/-.2 grains with some +/-.5 grains and I'm well under the max load...

Yes I'm doing match loads: Less than one inch groups, so far, specs follow.
    75 Grain Hornady HPBT
    TAC 23.8 grains
    CCI 400
    Seat Depth 2.259 - 2.258
    LC04 trimmed to 1.750 -1.7485
    NATO Spec Charge. Use with EXTREME caution!

I still have an upper limit of 25.8 grains of TAC but this load is looking pretty good. I would just like to speed up the handloading process.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You could always throw your loads a little light and trickle the rest. If you are really concerned with your charges being dead on.

I believe he has the measure sitting on top his expander die and is running the auto index feature so this would defeat what he is trying to do.

Greetings all,

You already have the best Auto index Lee makes. The non pro is cheaper and I don't think it would be any more accurate.

Just how much variances are you seeing ?

Some powders will throw a more consistent charge than others. Some just simply flow better than others.

I use Unique quite a bit with the Pro and it's probably one of the worse. One of the things I do and I feel it helps a little is to slightly polish the expander plug. This smooths out the expanding/charging operation. Typically when dropping somewhere in the 5-6 gr range with this powder, the charge will easily be well within .2 grs.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I believe he has the measure sitting on top his expander die and is running the auto index feature so this would defeat what he is trying to do.

You already have the best Auto index Lee makes. The non pro is cheaper and I don't think it would be any more accurate.

Just how much variances are you seeing ?

Some powders will throw a more consistent charge than others. Some just simply flow better than others.

I use Unique quite a bit with the Pro and it's probably one of the worse. One of the things I do and I feel it helps a little is to slightly polish the expander plug. This smooths out the expanding/charging operation. Typically when dropping somewhere in the 5-6 gr range with this powder, the charge will easily be well within .2 grs.

Gotcha, I'm not familiar with different press set ups.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The adjustable charge bar is an alternative, but frankly the Lee autodisks are holding +/- .1 grain for me. If you need better than that, you better trickle. What powder are you using? Some powders don't measure as well with the wipe off method, and some powders will be consistent, but not throw the calibrated amount the disk says they should because of the powder granule shape. As for your question, you can get an adapter, or have one made for that would allow you to use another powder measure (its just a threaded piece to match the swivel on your Lee), but you might have to manually throw the lever on powder measure as I'm not sure it would hook directly into the Lee chain pull system.

Have you used these? I've not heard anything good about them so far.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yep, I've got one in a Lee Pro1000 right now. Admittedly I'm not actually adjusting it from it's settings because it's throwing exactly what I want (which happens to be right between holes on the auto-disk), but once you have it where you want it it has been very consistent for me. It solves the volumetric problem of the disks because you can dial the volume in for the type of powder you use and the charge you want.

Top Bottom