Reply from Alliant powders on shortage of product and....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Reply from Alliant powders on shortage of product and....links to their product partners answers to the same question

Hoarding is horrid now. When people can they are buying more powder than they can use in three lifetimes.
    The OEM's are using powder like the black hole in space is sucking in all matter. They are filling shelves with ammunition now.
    Things are starting to look up though.
    Don't hold me to this but we feel that by mid to late summer we should start to see more powder showing up.
    We are basing this on the fact that there is more ammo on the shelves today than there was 6 - 8 months ago, Primer orders are falling and gun sales are falling.

Right now the plants are running 24/7 and we are making propellant as fast as is possible. Once a product leaves our docks it goes to the distributor. From there we have no control on where it may go. Be patient, keep checking the shelves. We have seen shortages like this in the past and they lasted around a year in time. Hopefully the hoarding of powder and other shooting supplies (ie. Bullets, ammo, primers and other supplies) will be ending soon. Also you will find a letter explaining some of shortages.
    Thanks for the question,

Shoot Straight
    DuaneVB
    CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID

Federal Premium Ammunition - FAQ

CCI Ammunition - FAQs

Speer Ammo - FAQs

Speer Bullets - Home

They are all singing the same tune, everyone will have to decide for their selves how much spin is involved :dunno:

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    We had a discussion on this in the office. Apparently for each home the local FD would like to know how much ammo is on hand, and where it's kept.

And what could go wrong with this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    We had a discussion on this in the office. Apparently for each home the local FD would like to know how much ammo is on hand, and where it's kept.

Ammo isn't any more dangerous than other household chemicals and supplies.

[video=youtube;3SlOXowwC4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c[/video]

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    People tend to store ammo in things like Ammo cans and safes. Grenade? Pipe bomb?

I bought 3 lbs of powder at the 1500. Going to use the 1 lb of Titegroup I bought for my .38 and then go from there. Hoping I can get more pistol powder soon...but that 1 lb will last me a while I think. The other 2 lbs were for rifle...so will try to learn that as well.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

What's wrong with it is that ammo and reloading components are so expensive it encourages amatuer theives! Nothing against fire fighters. But, If people know how much you have and where it is, when you go to use it it's gone! I had some 270 win, 7mm mag, 308 win, 300 Weatherby, 30/30 ammo stored in my garage. Along with 45LC, 30/06, 357 mag, 308 witn brass, and various bullets in nice small packages. My landlord had a neighbor who works at local hardware re-key the locks when I moved in. Now most of it is gone, no evidence of breakin. So beware of who knows what is in your house, garage or gun safe. Good shooting!

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    This is all going to end with the biggest ammo, powder, and primer glut we've ever seen!

Indeed.
    When supply returns to the shelves, prices will at first return to normal. Then there will be sales as companies attempt to move stock in a market that is exhausted from panic buying which left many people with more ammunition and shooting supplies then they will need in their entire lives.
    Finally, those who have too much will attempt to liquidate their supplies into an already saturated market when they realize 1. they don't need that much, and would rather spend their money on ___ , and 2. Their "investment" is losing value and is overstocked at the retail level.

End result: Cheap ammo/supplies for those of us who didn't panic buy. I look forward to paying the panic buyers a discounted price for what they stockpiled so dearly.

This same story repeats itself in every bubble in all of history.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is all going to end with the biggest ammo, powder, and primer glut we've ever seen!

I'm not too sure about that. This is the third gun/ammo shortage in the last six years or so. The manufacturers have learned. They have been very hesitant to make major investments in new plants and machinery and have decided to run the existing setups 24/7 instead. It will not be very hard to cut back hours and workers when things slow down.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm not too sure about that. This is the third gun/ammo shortage in the last six years or so. The manufacturers have learned. They have been very hesitant to make major investments in new plants and machinery and have decided to run the existing setups 24/7 instead. It will not be very hard to cut back hours and workers when things slow down.

Indeed, the last FOUR major shortages have not resulted in gluts in the market per se. Normal prices have risen steadily pretty well keeping pace with inflation, and the people who have put back ammunition don't tend to be selling it off. Sure, every now and then, but the amount of ammunition actually being shot has also risen quite steadily, so for the guy who thinks putting back a case of ammo is a lot (and that's the majority of gun owners), they will shoot that over time.

Shooting is one of those activities that tend to see new people coming in, but far fewer people just get completely out of it (like when someone takes up a new hobby).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I agree with you, with the exception of 22 rimfire ammo. The amount of 22 that some folks have stock-piled, and the people out there "flipping" 22 ammo for profit, is unprecedented. For all other ammo, and for reloading components, availability and pricing will gradually come back into line with demand. For 22 ammo, there will come a time when you just about can't give it away. :twocents:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

While production has remained at normal levels, buying has been panic stricken on powder, primers, and .22 ammo for well over a year now. That's a lot of product being stockpiled regardless of how you look at it. Look at AR's and AK's, along with 30 round magazines. They're everywhere, and at discounted prices. Shortly after Newtown you had nonsense like this:

10 Magpul PMAG Black Magazine AR15

It didn't last, and this won't either. Most guys who reload shoot a set amount. It takes a long time for non competitive, casual shooters to burn up 8 pounds of powder. Especially when you factor in the cost of the other components that go with it, like bullets, primers, and brass. Most of these people aren't shooting any more because they're buying more. In fact, many are shooting less because they don't want to "shoot up their supply". As far as .22 ammo, a couple of years ago, every time I went to my club range there would be at least 10 to a dozen people blasting away with 10/22's and Marlin Model 60's......Today it's empty. Yet there isn't a round of .22 ammo to be had, let alone at a fair market price. Someone is buying it, and not shooting it. Add in a horrible economy throughout all of this, and there is no question this will surely end with a glut.

People don't change their habits. They won't shoot more because they have more. Other things factor in. It's hard for many to get to the range and spend a day shooting. Too many other commitments like kids, wives with "honey do lists", and then there is the weather which isn't always favorable. Another thing is an AR-15 rifle is a substantial investment for a lot of people. A couple of bricks of .22 ammo, or any other kind is not. Over a few months it's possible for even people of meager means to accumulate several thousand rounds. Even if they can't "flip it", it will take a long time for this panic bought ammo to be shot over time. The bottom line is many people buy because they can't get it. When it's everywhere and cheap, (like 30 round magazines are now), they won't touch it at a discount. Call it human nature.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I guess you are all right, I got the benefit of one of the hoarders, 20lbs of powder snapped up in 1962 and put away, 10lbs of it H110. I've been shooting off it for the last couple of years for my 300blk and .458 socom and the H110 is already half gone!

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    I hate to be mean but I am not going through this again when my powder hits the shelf HP-38 or win 231 I am buying as much as I can. Some of the issues is people reselling it for double or triple the price. I am on my back up SHTF powder Herco I'm luck it works for 9, 40,45. I now I am shooting a lot more then I ever have with me shooting competitions Uspsa Idpa steel plate and multigun even my reserve stock is getting slim. With me not being able to buy anything in several months this sucks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hate to be mean but I am not going through this again when my powder hits the shelf HP-38 or win 231 I am buying as much as I can. Some of the issues is people reselling it for double or triple the price. I am on my back up SHTF powder Herco I'm luck it works for 9, 40,45. I now I am shooting a lot more then I ever have with me shooting competitions Uspsa Idpa steel plate and multigun even my reserve stock is getting slim. With me not being able to buy anything in several months this sucks

Congratulations on being part of the problem that causes folks to have the problem of "...not being able to buy anything in several months". :xmad:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If one of the issues is people reselling stuff for double or triple the price, then the other issue is people deciding to buy as much as they can when something becomes available, instead of buying what they need.

Top Bottom