Reports of active shooter in Chattanooga, TN; several sites, one officer down.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting combination of two logical fallacies to avoid addressing the points I have made.

For those keeping score, there's a hasty generalization, and argumentum ad hominem.

You either don't know what ad hominem means or lack the basic self awareness to realize that the lens a chaplain sees things through and the lens a junior enlisted man sees through are not the same. I'm done addressing the points you've made as I've put my experiences, the experiences of others, and quotes from a highly positioned officer as facts to bolster my point. I doubt we'll change each other's mind on the topic, and there's enough info out there for others to make their own determination.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why he chose the target he did is one question, and a radical interpretation of Islam is certainly the most likely candidate. Why he went shooting at all is a different question, though, and that's what I was addressing.

His parents seem to have a moderate interpretation of Islam. I think he was radicalized away from that view. To me that answers both questions.

Can't help but wonder if the shooting was plan B, plan A being the nuke plant

I wondered that too, but who knows?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    General Jihadist... See, it IS the officers! ;)

Seriously though, we have been warned ad nauseum about these "lone wolves" being radicalized and that they pose as much if not more of a threat than any kind of organized "sleeper cell", so why is it even being questioned that this is the case here? Occam's Razor anyone?

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!

GENERAL JIHAD is a rap "artist"...... rap is to blame.

[video=youtube;aRT05lIketY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRT05lIketY[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Finally got around to reading that.

"Abdulazeez, a Kuwaiti-born naturalized U.S. citizen, was killed in a gunfight with police on Thursday after he sprayed gunfire at a military recruiting center in Chattanooga, then drove to a nearby Naval Reserve Center where he shot and killed four Marines."

Sprayed?

Hmm. I wonder what the author of that thinks about gun control?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    His parents seem to have a moderate interpretation of Islam. I think he was radicalized away from that view. To me that answers both questions.

I wondered that too, but who knows?

Ok. Why was we susceptible to a radical interpretation, especially relatively late in life? Do you not think addiction issues and depression could play a role in that? A getting of failure, self loathing, and no meaning in his life might make the concept of martyrdom a more attractive proposition then it would be if he was mentally healthy.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I did not intend to, but oversimplified several pages of this thread, and I should not have.

As far as the officer corp argument goes, no O-5's or even O-6's are making these decisions. It's more like people who sit on the JCS, or people, uniformed or otherwise, that advise them or that they advise. High level stuff. I agree it is not an "O side" vs "E side" conspiracy. I did not, however, lump all officers together with the jerks. On the contrary, I made a point of contrasting them.
    We're in agreement on all that then. I noted that you contrasted the good/bad officers. The statement that followed that wasn't for you, though my paragraph construction made it look like it was.

You either don't know what ad hominem means or lack the basic self awareness to realize that the lens a chaplain sees things through and the lens a junior enlisted man sees through are not the same. I'm done addressing the points you've made as I've put my experiences, the experiences of others, and quotes from a highly positioned officer as facts to bolster my point. I doubt we'll change each other's mind on the topic, and there's enough info out there for others to make their own determination.

I was going to explain how your writing off my perspective because it's a "chaplain lens" is precisely argumentum ad hominem, but instead I'll just repeat the simple question you've been avoiding: How does your experience in the context of firearms ownership and possession differ from the experience of the officer corps?

Heck, I'll even make it easy and answer my own question, which has been my point in the entire conversation: There's no difference. The officer corps is held to the same standard as the junior enlisted and NCOs. No experience that you've posted or quote that has been cited has offered any support to the claim you've been defending, that "The officer corps doesn't like the idea of enlisted and NCO with weappons [sic]. They tolerate it on the battlefield, but they don't trust them otherwise."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From what I've read, schizophrenia onset at his age isn't unusual. An undetected illness?

No evidence that I've seen for that but it's possible. Violent schizophrenics are pretty rare though. But then again, so are people who shoot up recruiting offices in strip malls.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    "The officer corps doesn't like the idea of enlisted and NCO with weappons [sic]. They tolerate it on the battlefield, but they don't trust them otherwise."

I don't know why you keep repeating the "(sic)". Typing on a phone can sometimes bring about a lot of strange happenings. I corrected it. Hobgoblins again.

I will change my thought to this: Above a certain level, the officer corps doesn't trust anyone to know anything independent of subordinate or senior position to said officer.

--Lt. Commander Queeg
    :rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The federal government is stepping up to the plate to protect soldiers on US soil:

U.S. military tells recruiting centers to step up security by closing blinds | Local News | Times Free Press

Since those "no guns" signs obviously worked to keep that shooter outside the recruiting center... Are these people really paid money to provide defense?

Yeah, that'll fix 'em! :rolleyes: Hey, you know we could save a lot of taxpayer money by eliminating the Secret Service. We just need to put up some blinds at the whitehouse. :)

Top Bottom