• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So I want to start storing some rice, beans, pasta, and other stuff. I have been looking at going the mylar route, but am wondering if I might be able to save myself on some cost.

I have been saving my empty Syntha-6 protein powder jugs that I am going to use to store this stuff in. They are food grade and will be good size for storage and I have different sizes in case I need to barter or trade.

They come with a paper seal underneath the lid. I break the seal and use all the powder. My question is, is there any kind of product I could use to reseal the jugs after I fill them and drop in an O2 absorber. Since the jugs are plastic I was wondering if the mylar would melt to it and form a tight seal or if there was anything else that might perform the same function. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    For the slight added expense of the buckets and mylar bags, it seems to be worthwhile to spend it IMO

Food grade buckets can often be had for free by nosing around the bakery at your local grocery store FWIT

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Sure, place the jug in a vacuum sealed bag and put it in the freezer.

Otherwise, nope. That's similar to asking if you can can with a plastic jar.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Sure, place the jug in a vacuum sealed bag and put it in the freezer.

Otherwise, nope. That's similar to asking if you can can with a plastic jar.

So how do they seal them in the first place? If they are sealed once, one would assume they can be sealed again.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I can always seal them in a mylar bag inside of them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The purpose of the mylar bag is to prevent air penetration. The purpose of the bucket is to prevent tears or entry by ants/mice/etc that would easily chew through the mylar. That is why mylar inside of a bucket is the standard. If you want to try something else, you will need to fill those two basic functions- eliminate air penetration and physical protection.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    The purpose of the mylar bag is to prevent air penetration. The purpose of the bucket is to prevent tears or entry by ants/mice/etc that would easily chew through the mylar. That is why mylar inside of a bucket is the standard. If you want to try something else, you will need to fill those two basic functions- eliminate air penetration and physical protection.

OK that makes much more sense when you put it that way. I think I am going to try the one gallon bag inside of the tubs. It should work with ease.

I'm sure it has been posted here several times, but what is everyone's favorite source for their mylar?

Top Bottom