• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I occasionally see complaints on here to the effect that someone sold a gun and then the buyer turned around and listed it on another site for more money. I once bought a gun from another INGOer who sold it for a good price on the condition that it go to a fellow INGOer. I respected that wish and I will not sell that gun, but otherwise I like to think that if I buy something, in the absence of some other agreement not to resell that I am free to do as I please.

What do you all think? Is is wrong to re-sell something that you buy on INGO for a higher price?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think it's tacky to flip a gun for profit from someone who gave you a good deal on INGO, but I was here at the beginning when there were only a few hundred of us and the classifieds were all about helping each other out with a good price. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, though, who won't think twice of taking advantage of someone if it means they can put a couple of bucks in their pocket.

I can tell you that, personally, I would never deal with that person again.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm done selling my guns, I may trade one to get something else but I'm not SELLING anything I don't have two of.

Actually, I'm selling a few firearms for family members on INGO but those aren't MY guns.

Rest assured, any firearms purchased by me will be used by someone in the IndySSD clan forever.... at least as long as I'm alive.

All that being said, I think it shows poor taste to flip firearms online but if circumstances were right, I can't fault someone for buying a gun, going to the range and then deciding he wants something else.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can't fault someone for buying a gun, going to the range and then deciding he wants something else.

That's a hugely different situation, IMHO, and I agree. Only that person knows what his true intention was when he bought the gun from me, though.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I'm done selling my guns, I may trade one to get something else but I'm not SELLING anything I don't have two of.

Actually, I'm selling a few firearms for family members on INGO but those aren't MY guns.

Rest assured, any firearms purchased by me will be used by someone in the IndySSD clan forever.... at least as long as I'm alive.

All that being said, I think it shows poor taste to flip firearms online but if circumstances were right, I can't fault someone for buying a gun, going to the range and then deciding he wants something else.

I think that should be a part of the question. I can see it being more objectionable to buy something and immediately post it for resale, less objectionable if a person owns something for a while and decides that they don't want it. What if you buy something on INGO and a friend of yours sees it and offers to buy it for more than you spent. Is there the same social obligation not to sell?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I think it's tacky to flip a gun for profit from someone who gave you a good deal on INGO, but I was here at the beginning when there were only a few hundred of us and the classifieds were all about helping each other out with a good price. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, though, who won't think twice of taking advantage of someone if it means they can put a couple of bucks in their pocket.

Actually it never crossed my mind that people who sell guns through the INGO classified were offering them at a good deal to help others out. With that in mind I suppose would contact the person I bought it from and see if he minded if I sold it at a profit. Truth is the only reason I can imagine wanting to do so, is if I found another gun I wanted more.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Time is money, and a whole lot of other stuff.

It is not uncommon to see someone selling a firearm due to an unexpected expense, family emergency, etc. Sometimes these life events are time sensitive and they need the cash fast. So they may price a $350 firearm at $200 in order to sell it very quickly to someone close. They could sell it for more but the cost to them would be delayed cash. $200 today may be equal or greater in value to $350 in a week or two.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ......What if you buy something on INGO and a friend of yours sees it and offers to buy it for more than you spent. Is there the same social obligation not to sell?

Weelll.... no.

But there is a distinction that is being overlooked.
    The friend did not have access to it in the first place.
    Never had the chance to buy it anyhow.
    Did not compete for said purchase against someone else.

To make the analogy:

Say you (Ed), Tom and John are at a picnic,

Tom says, "Hey Ed, check out this sweet Glock"
    "That's mighty fine Tom" said Ed
    "I'll sell it to you for $400" said Tom
    "Deal, here's the cash... woot" said Ed
    "Sweet deal" said John
    "Hey, I'll sell it to you John" said Ed
    "Cool - Here's $400" said John
    "Uhh, it's $450 John, your $50 light" said Ed
    ":n00b:"said John

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    That's a hugely different situation, IMHO, and I agree. Only that person knows what his true intention was when he bought the gun from me, though.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood the situation. What I posted was the only scenario I could picture myself reselling a firearm in.:D

And by the way, whenever I buy firearms from You I wind up loving them and never want to stop shooting them :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

All of this, with emphasis on the bold part.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    If i sell any guns I will only sell them here on INGO and I think we should all try to look out for each other on here. I say to the buyer that if they ever want to sell the gun to ask me first. I do not think that it is right for a person to buy a gun one day and sell it the next for more,,,,,,, now if you buy something and realize you couldnt afford it and sell it for the same price no big deal or if you buy something and do alot of extras to it then you can make a profit

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't see a problem with it at all. I know I personally don't get on the INGO classifieds trying to "flip" things... but I also don't think that people in the classifieds are giving that many "amazing deals" that often either. Occasionally, sure. But it seems to me that people in the classifieds are just trying to get what they feel is fair, or make a buck on something.

It should be OBVIOUS that not everyone who uses the INGO classifieds is a "looking out for fellow INGO'er" types because there are so many people rushing with one liners to get to 50 posts, only to never post anywhere other than the classifieds ever again...

So IF you meet someone from ingo at the range, or it's someone you've met from INGO and they give you a "friendly" deal, then yes, I have a problem with you "flipping" it right away. If it's some random in the classifieds, you haggle with them, get a good deal, and then sell it for more... then you are a better business person than that guy (or girl) is.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Imo most of the prices in the classifieds not even close to good enough to flip a gun for a profit.

Now if someone made a deal specifically for a lower price to help someone out, then yeah I can see how it would be sorta tacky to sell it quickly for a profit. But then again if you agree to see an item to someone, no matter the price, they are free to do with it as they choose. I guess buyer and seller both beware.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

This^ very well said! :D

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I occasionally see complaints on here to the effect that someone sold a gun and then the buyer turned around and listed it on another site for more money. I once bought a gun from another INGOer who sold it for a good price on the condition that it go to a fellow INGOer. I respected that wish and I will not sell that gun, but otherwise I like to think that if I buy something, in the absence of some other agreement not to resell that I am free to do as I please.

What do you all think? Is is wrong to re-sell something that you buy on INGO for a higher price?

I think the best answer is underlined and in bold above. If an INGOer posts an item for sale and specifies the deal is only for INGOers and not for profiteering, then of course I would honor that if I chose to buy it. Here is just an idea: If I did buy it and didn't want to keep it, it would be appropriate to offer it here at the original purchase price with the same agreement. If there were no takers here, then sell it where ever at what ever you can get.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think the best answer is underlined and in bold above. If an INGOer posts an item for sale and specifies the deal is only for INGOers and not for profiteering, then of course I would honor that if I chose to buy it. Here is just an idea: If I did buy it and didn't want to keep it, it would be appropriate to offer it here at the original purchase price with the same agreement. If there were no takers here, then sell it where ever at what ever you can get.

But thats just the thing, you cannot make stipulations on what the buyer does with it after he pays you for the gun. Well I guess you can, but the buyer doesnt have to do it. I could say, sure Ill keep it, then do whatever I want with it.

I guess if someone gives you a great deal specifically to help you out, then yeah its in bad taste. But otherwise, business is business. If someone offers me a good price for my truck, Id sell it even though I like it. But again no one is offering items at a super low price on here anyway.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hummmmmmmmmm.

Investigation should be used.
    More of a case by case basis.
    Kick over a few rocks.............

Top Bottom