• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Ok, this is from a friend's Colt Buntline Scout .22. I have tried a myriad of cleaners to get the flutes clean- they are all have similar amounts of residue. I don't want to damage the steel or strip the bluing. Any thoughts? Once its cleaned, would having it lubed better in the future keep the residue from sticking?

Thanks!
    2014-12-21 House 004.JPG
    2014-12-21 House 003.JPG 2014-12-21 House 005.JPG

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Welcome to the fun world of revolver cleaning. Try some Dexron ATF fluid. It cuts carbon really well. Heat the cylinder up with a hair dryer. Or do what I do and just say the hell with it. Every time you shoot it - it will come back. Repeatedly trying to remove it will remove the finish eventually. If you want to the gun to stay new looking leave it in the safe.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I love revolvers myself and all of them get this sort of thing. It's powder residua. It should come off with Hoppe's #9. Mine always does though it may take a bit of scrubbing to get it off. It isn't anything you or the revolver is doing wrong, that's just how it is with revolvers. It will happen with both blues and stainless revolvers too.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Blued is a problem because you want to preserve the finish. When I really want it clean, I put the cylinder in a small jar full of hoppes and soak it overnight. That usually does pretty well. On my stainless steel revovers, I use jewelers rouge with a small buffing wheel on a dremel. Once you get the flutes polished up like mirror finish, the residue wipe out a lot easier, not perfect but better.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The lead wipes cloth won't harm the blued finish if you lightly use it to apply the chemicals that are in the cloth and let it sit for a couple hours. Then go back after it with a clean patch. I wouldn't recommend rubbing continuously with it. Otherwise, soak in Hoppes 9.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Just a followup, soaking in #9 did the trick- clean as a whistle. Next time it is shot, i'll grease up the flutes a little and hopefully create a barrier for the residue.

Thanks again!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would not use any kind of grease or oil prior to shooting - it will just get baked into a lacquer type residue that will be even worse to get off. I have been dealing with this on revolvers for years. A good powder solvent will take it off. The best one I have found for cleaning revolvers is Breakfree Bore Solvent. It dissolves carbon really well. Just let it soak for a few minutes. It also helps to heat the part up with a hair dryer.

Top Bottom