• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Here is a response from Governor Mike Pence. Thanks!

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for gun rights. It was a pleasure to hear from you.

We are in agreement that Congress and State law should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. On June 26, 2008, our nation was presented with a significant legal victory when the Supreme Court upheld what I believe was the true intent of our founding fathers by ruling in Heller v Districtof Columbia that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to handgun ownership for purposes of self-defense.

In many ways, excessive gun control is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. Too much gun control can leave law-abiding citizens defenseless while doing very little to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. After all, people who are deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun.

Under the belief that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens result in less, not more, crime, I will continue working to protect your constitutional right to gun ownership. I appreciate your input into this important matter and will keep your views in mind the next time that I am presented with legislation involving the rights of gun owners.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as Governor and have the benefit of your advice. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at www.in.gov/gov.

Sincerely,

Mike Pence

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    He responded back to me with similar response last month. Much more comforting than responses from others. Hopefully more think like him.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Real nice guy too I had the pleasure of speaking with him just be fore the primary. During my volunteer work for Richard Mourdock, told him if I'd come volunteer for him if we lost the primary. If you are going to try to get him to speak at a rally give plenty of notice those guys get a full schedule quick especially with the general assembly in session.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for gun rights. It was a pleasure to hear from you.

We are in agreement that Congress and State law should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. On June 26, 2008, our nation was presented with a significant legal victory when the Supreme Court upheld what I believe was the true intent of our founding fathers by ruling in Heller v Districtof Columbia that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to handgun ownership for purposes of self-defense.

In many ways, excessive gun control is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. Too much gun control can leave law-abiding citizens defenseless while doing very little to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. After all, people who are deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun.

Under the belief that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens result in less, not more, crime, I will continue working to protect your constitutional right to gun ownership. I appreciate your input into this important matter and will keep your views in mind the next time that I am presented with legislation involving the rights of gun owners.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as Governor and have the benefit of your advice. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at www.in.gov/gov.

Sincerely,

Mike Pence[/QUOTE This or maybe i am just reading to much into it.:ar15:

moltke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Springville
    Good message. Got one of these waiting to be read as well. Course ... we are talking about lobbyed leadership here so remember that is' what they DO not what they say. Not saying I'm doubting Mike ... but I'm always wary of political statements as a rule. Still good to see reference to the Constitution as so many times we let the debate and argument be about what is 'safe' or what 'actions' should be taken. We already have this country's firearm code presented as the 2nd Amendment. We just need to enforce and follow it.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

Sincerely,

Mike Pence[/QUOTE This or maybe i am just reading to much into it.:ar15:

Good catch! I just scanned the letter and did not catch that! Now I'm kinda wondering...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While words do have meanings and the wording Gov. Pence used was imprecise, I think it's fair to say he does "get it". This doesn't mean I'm relaxed or that I don't think he should clarify; I do. I just think that we may be reading more into the statement than is there. This is a solid, pro-2A position. The 2A doesn't confer, it protects, and we all know this. No one has yet pounced on the error (typo?) in the next paragraph, either, but it's equally egregious: "...people who are deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun." (The people deterred by laws against murder aren't inclined to commit it anyway.)

Bottom line, if the OP wants to write back and ask him about that line, feel free, but I think his words will bear out my prediction.

Blessings,
    Bill

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I did not catch that either. I suspect that it was an oversight due to the tone of the letter, but as Bill of Rights also says, that does not mean I trust completely or relax on the issue. I have found Mike to be better than most on the integrity issue. I did not say perfect or I trust completely.

I sent a message to clarify. I will post back if/when I hear.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    While words do have meanings and the wording Gov. Pence used was imprecise, I think it's fair to say he does "get it". This doesn't mean I'm relaxed or that I don't think he should clarify; I do. I just think that we may be reading more into the statement than is there. This is a solid, pro-2A position. The 2A doesn't confer, it protects, and we all know this. No one has yet pounced on the error (typo?) in the next paragraph, either, but it's equally egregious: "...people who are deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun." (The people deterred by laws against murder aren't inclined to commit it anyway.)

Bottom line, if the OP wants to write back and ask him about that line, feel free, but I think his words will bear out my prediction.

Blessings,
    Bill

We are in agreement that Congress and State law should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. On June 26, 2008, our nation was presented with a significant legal victory when the Supreme Court upheld what I believe was the true intent of our founding fathers by ruling in Heller v District of Columbia that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to handgun ownership for purposes of self-defense.

In many ways, excessive gun control is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. Too much gun control can leave law-abiding citizens defenseless while doing very little to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. After all, people who are not deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws that say you cannot have a gun.

Looks like it is fixed in the latest responses, as I just received the one above. I find this to be one of the most straight forward and least weasel worded responses I have received.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Heller was specifically in regard to handguns though, right? Can see how it could be misconstrued.

Whether you agree entirely with all of his political positions, I don't think anyone can argue that Governor Pence isn't a good man. I'm glad he's in office instead of Gregg, particuarly now . . .

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    EckFrank
    Top Bottom