• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Any new ones to be considered? Or are the Tac Sports still the ones to get? I want to get a set for myself and my wife (one set for two of us, as I have a set of non-electronic ones from when I was younger). Heck, for the first birthday she had while we were dating, I gave her a set of earplugs like I carried in the service.

Thanks for the in-depth review. Cannot imagine the work that goes into such a thing.

DrWin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the review. A few months ago, I bought two of the Peltors for my dad and me based on what I read here. (I normally use the Howard Leight L3s.) I've only used it at an outdoor shooting range, but it worked great. I only shot pistol calibers, but the sound reduction was better than I expected. I had no problems hearing voices through the muffs.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Looking for these I also see the Tactical 6s ones. Looking at the 3M site, I am struggling to tell a difference except for the following: 1dB difference, no audio jack. And a slight physical design difference on the lower side of the ear muff itself. Anyone know of anything else between them?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    One of the guys at the indoor range where I work part time has a pair of the Peltor Tactical Sport and he likes them real well and after reading this review I checked online and Amazon had them for $88.00 with free shipping so I ordered a pair on Monday and recieved them on Wednesday. So I took them to the range to see how good they were and they did a very good job I thought. I stood right next to high power rifle and pistol shooters and it didn't bother me a bit.
    Now the only problem was that somehow the inside of the sealed bubble pact had glycol in it (antifreeze) and I left them laying on the kitchen table overnight and the next morning there was a sizable pool of it on the table under them. I have no idea how that came to be.
    But they work so I'll just keep wiping them off untill it's all gone.

Last edited:

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I recently purchased these 3M Peltor Camelback Gel Sealing Rings HY80, Black:Amazon:Industrial & Scientific for my Peltor Tactical Sport earpro.
    I based this purchase simply by trying on a friends at a NWI Meet & Shoot. I haven't even tried them at the range, but the minute or two I had my friends on, I could tell an immediate difference in comfort. I will be trying them out this weekend, at an indoor range no less.
    I'll report back!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One of the guys at the indoor range where I work part time has a pair of the Peltor Tactical Sport and he likes them real well and after reading this review I checked online and Amazon had them for $88.00 with free shipping so I ordered a pair on Monday and recieved them on Wednesday. So I took them to the range to see how good they were and they did a very good job I thought. I stood right next to high power rifle and pistol shooters and it didn't bother me a bit.
    Now the only problem was that somehow the inside of the sealed bubble pact had glycol in it (antifreeze) and I left them laying on the kitchen table overnight and the next morning there was a sizable pool of it on the table under them. I have no idea how that came to be.
    But they work so I'll just keep wiping them off untill it's all gone.

Amazon would probably be pretty easy to deal with on a return. I'd probably contact them.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Amazon would probably be pretty easy to deal with on a return. I'd probably contact them.

Well I pulled the ear cups off and washed all of the non-electrical parts with clear water and let them dry good and wiped down the rest with a damp cloth and their fine now.
    They must have been involved in a spill or leakage of some sort along the way.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    This is such a great post I thought I’d comment because I’m shopping for electronic hearing protection for my wife and I. We went to the range today and I got so tired of taking my ear protection off and on so I could hear her. It appears the Peltor line has changed since this thread was started. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending the extra money for the Peltor’s over the Howard Leights.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is such a great post I thought I’d comment because I’m shopping for electronic hearing protection for my wife and I. We went to the range today and I got so tired of taking my ear protection off and on so I could hear her. It appears the Peltor line has changed since this thread was started. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending the extra money for the Peltor’s over the Howard Leights.
    Yes the money is worth it. Do some research into MSA/Sordins, along with clipping vs. compression, longevity, and comfort. I chose Sordins over my previous ComTacs as they were that much better. I’ve got two eyes and two ears, and all four of them have problems, but not because I am not doing my part to protect what’s left.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Yes the money is worth it. Do some research into MSA/Sordins, along with clipping vs. compression, longevity, and comfort. I chose Sordins over my previous ComTacs as they were that much better. I’ve got two eyes and two ears, and all four of them have problems, but not because I am not doing my part to protect what’s left.

I don't have them yet but the MSA/Sordin's will be what I get. Buy once cry once.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I heard about these on a podcast the other day. They are supposed to solve the biggest issue I have with my muffs but I can't bring myself to spend the $40 plus shipping. Interesting concept and seems like something the companies could do themselves to make them more comfortable for shooters.

https://noisefighters.com/

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My wife and I make it out to the range once or twice a month. We got frustrated during our last trip trying to hear each other, hence the reason for my search. Seeing how we are only occasional shooters, I just want something that will allow us to communicate and protect at the same time. I'm leaning towards Peltor Sport Tactical 100 or Walkers Razor Slim. It's my understanding both use compression technology, which seems to be preferable. I have no doubt that the MSA Sordins are better, but for my needs, are the 5x better?

Top Bottom