• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The combination of the Ruger 22/45 and the Bushnell TRS-25 is the most fun that can be had for under $320 before tax.

Ruger 22/45 w/ 2 factory mags $269.99 Jerry's Gun Shop
    Bushnell TRS-25 $49.95 Amazon.com minus the rebate.

Total before tax $319.94

0915111351.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the Ruger 22/45 MkIII, it is a polymer framed .22 pistol that has the ergonomics of a 1911, a bull barrel, and a removable front sight, with an adjustable rear sight. It does not actually mirror the 1911, just places all the controls in the same places. It was actually refreshing to have the familiarity of controls I am already used to. It also will take any standard 1911 grip, I thought about replacing the Ruger ones with Hogue ones, but the Ruger symbol is just so good looking. :rockwoot: This was a huge plus for me.

After those ergo's, the similarity to the 1911 stop. It feels in my opinion much more front heavy than any gov issue 1911. I also do not like the Loaded Chamber Indicator, it's right where I normally rest my thumb. The other negative thing I have to mention is the Front Sight, it comes loose after about 100 rounds. Some Loctite fixed that, but I expect more from Ruger.

0915112244.jpg

I went to Blythes in Valpo to sight in pistol. All and all it was a good trip. Upon arrival, I learned that I left all my CCI mini mags at home. Stupid stupid me. Blythe's ammo is a little expensive if they are not having a sale. Fortunately for me Remington Cyclone was on sale 500 rounds for $15.99. It runs in my Ruger 10/22, so I said sure, why not, I'll run that. Yes I know, it's cheap bulk ammo, but it has great results.

Ballistic Info: Remington Cyclones

Bullet Weight 36 grains
    Bullet Style: Hollow Point
    Velocity: 1280 FPS at the muzzle, 1010 fps at 100 yards

Now for the Red Dot

0915111351a.jpg

0915112159a.jpg

The Bushnell TRS-25

I love this red dot. It's a 3MOA red dot, at a quarter the price of a 4MOA Aimpoint red dot. It has 11 brightness settings, that very from "I'm not sure this is on, too, OMG that is bright, I can't believe this is so bright." It is also very small, and very light, once it was attached to the Ruger 22/45, there was no noticeable difference in weight. When you rotate the dial, the brightness settings really lock in place, you get real feedback when you lock it in place.

It took about 20 rounds to get it sighted in at about 10 yards.
    0915112137.jpg

Then I had to have some rapid fire fun at 10 yards.
    0915112139.jpg

Then I had to move it back to 25 yards.
    0915111526.jpg

2 magazines at 25 yards from a bench rest.
    0915112138.jpg

The pistol proved to be more accurate than I thought I was, and when combined with that red dot, there is so much fun to be had. It was so much fun in fact I shot 300 rounds today. Suffice it to say, the break in is over. Now the real fun begins. I can't wait to take some video of this pistol in action.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Very nice review, I've been thinking of getting one of these if I can't get my hands on a M&P22. I'm not real fond of the 1911 style gun, since it's so different from my EDC, so it was good to hear it's not identical. I've shot Ruger's before and really like their smooth trigger pull and they always seem accurate as all get out.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Did you consider the new version of this pistol that has rails top and bottom and a threaded barrel. I've been thinking of getting one. MY 22/45 is the same one you have, looks like I will have to track down one of these red dots. I have several but they are larger.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Did you consider the new version of this pistol that has rails top and bottom and a threaded barrel. I've been thinking of getting one. MY 22/45 is the same one you have, looks like I will have to track down one of these red dots. I have several but they are larger.

I did consider the one they have with the top and bottom rails and the threaded barrel, but it was 100 bucks more. I just could not justify it because I wanted a target pistol and at the same time, something to squirrel hunt with.

And Rayne, I too wanted the M&P22, but I didn't want to wait till next year to get a good .22 pistol that is the same as my EDC. I also wanted to wait on reviews of the M&P22, along with them to find the biggest mistakes and correct them.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I can honestly say that anything under 340 for this pistol is a bargain for the amount of fun this pistol provides. It gives all the thrill of firing a pistol, without the guilt of money leaving the wallet as you pull the trigger.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I picked up the threaded version today! My local bait/gun shop had one in on consignment, I don't think the previous owner even shot it. This is the threaded barrel with the picatinny rails, no iron sights. Got the gun, box and all accessories out the door for $325! Previous owner was even nice enough to leave the BSA red dot on it! After adjusting the optic for my eyes, I was picking walnuts off the limbs at 15 yds. I think I will try squirrel hunting with this one. Now I just need to save another $500 for a suppressor and Uncle Sammie's tax stamp!
    Ruger22-45.jpg
    [/IMG]

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    Nice reveiw!!!! I have 2 of these and they are nice. I don't have a red dot but I have noticed the front sight does come loose. The SS Hunter version with 6-7/8 fluted barrel actually feels lighter than the 5-1/2 bull barrel.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So I could not stand that I had done the lettering in white on the pistol and the red dot had Bushnell in yellow lettering. So now my 22/45 has all matching lettering in Yellow. Picks to come soon.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Nice review, I had picked one up at Big R in Michigan City, paid 270 new. I'm teahing my daughters to shoot and this is the best 22 to shoot with, fairly simple to operate and very accurate. But it's a pain to clean but I'm getting better at it with practice.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Nice review, I had picked one up at Big R in Michigan City, paid 270 new. I'm teahing my daughters to shoot and this is the best 22 to shoot with, fairly simple to operate and very accurate. But it's a pain to clean but I'm getting better at it with practice.

No need to take it apart every time to clean it. ;) Simply lock the bolt open, and clean chamber with Qtips and oil. Resume shooting. I only take my MKII apart about once a year. Not that its hard for me, just not needed. ;)

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    My son has a couple of the 22/45s and really likes the grip angle vs the mk2.
    One of his 22/45s has around 35,000 rounds through it
    And he has fought loading issues from day one. The other one
    One he got last week already has around 3k rounds and is working flawless.
    Sooooooo great guns but you find one with issues every now and then.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's between one of those and a 1911 for my next gun unless a really good deal on an M1A comes along or something.

Top Bottom