Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    federal AE 115s:
    50 rounds
    3 fail to feed (limp wrist)

Remington umc 115s:
    100rnds
    7 fail to feed (still i believe a limp wrist problem but could be the mag...all ftf were on one mag in the same load)

***got a new hogue grip to see if it will help my gripping issue***
    Federal HS 147g:
    25 rounds
    no issues

SnB 115g:
    100 rounds
    no issues

Fed Champ 115g:
    100rnds
    no issues

***so far it seems that the new grip has fixed my gripping problem, no failures of any kind in the last 175 rnds***

***switched to rem oil from otis....teflon base should keep slide fresh and parts maintained better***

Remington Golden Saber 125g +P:
    12rnds
    no issue- good rounds would most likely do the job but, the 147g HSTs are going to be my defense round

Win pdx1 124+p jhp
    25rnds
    no issues

Fiocchi 124g fmjtc (flat nose)
    50rnds 3 fail to eject spent cartridge (EXTREMELY dirty ammo) will not purchase again

Remington umc 125g:
    50rnds
    no issues

Fed Champ 115g:
    50rnds
    no issues
    ***562 rnds fired at this time...it shoots great, will eat any ammo (but stay away from Fiocchi)...still need to get front sight
    installed...but at this point i will call it broken in and i can trust it with my life.

Fed Champ 115g:
    100rnds
    no issues
    Fed Champ 115g:
    150rnds
    no issues
    ***812 rounds down***

WWB 115g:
    100rnds
    no issues

Fed Champ 115g:
    50rnds
    no issues

RWS 125g:
    50rnds
    no issues

Rem 124g+P GS:*new clip*
    8rnds
    no issues

Fed 147gHS:*new clip*
    8rnds
    no issues
    ***tested out new ProMag 22rnd clip...works fine..no hesitation to load up for protection***

update: 22rnd Promag broke into pieces at the range when firing (bottom blew/fell out) threw in garbage)...using only 100% reliable ruger factory mags.

***1,028 rounds down***

by now i have 1600 rounds down and i've owned for about seven months...i stopped keeping records after the 1028 because there was no reason to keep posting, the firearm is malfunction free. it is a joy to shoot and cycles slicker than any firearm i have shot...

this may not win "best review" but i do know this is the most information as far as reliability on a firearm that you are going to get.

Pat

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My P95 had a very definite 100 round break in period. After that it was wonderfully reliable. I've read of others who had to break in their P95s, so for folks considering buying one it's something to keep in mind.

It's a gun I highly recommend. As mentioned, after break in it was perfectly reliable for me (for some reason, it wouldn't work worth a darn for my son,) and VERY VERY accurate. I loved mine, regretted seeing it go, but I got an SKS out of it, which fit our family's needs better. Would have kept the Ruger, but Cathy and I wanted us both to have the same handguns for a number of reasons, either Glock or XD. I traded for an XD, so that's what we are going with.

The XD isn't an objectively better gun, but it's one that "fits" both of us. She was merely "so-so" about the P95 :(

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    its easy to see that reliability in my records shown, yea it had some malfunctions out of the box but it just falls under the break in period for this firearm...

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Thanks for the review! Especially helpful is the ammo itemization. I'm looking at a very nice used P-95 myself and you've provided some food for thought.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    glad to help!....yea i kept tabs on the ammo in case there was a brand that the thing didn't like, but i have not found that brand yet.....as for the truncated Fiocci rounds, they fired all right but the accuracy was a bit off and boy, the gun was FILTHY after 50 rounds...the amount of carbon build up was equal to about 200 rounds of the cheap federal champion stuff i normally shoot. and just a tip if you do decide to pick one of these up, try to stay with the Ruger factory mags, the promags don't cycle for sh*t...the mecgar mags i hear are pretty reliable but the factory mags are 100% trouble free.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I had a P-89 in the past and used Ruger and Mecgar mags ... 0 problems with either. I'll go with these again on the 95. Mecgar is the contract supplier for the Ruger SR9 oem magazines, don't know if this is true for the P series.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    P95s stink. You should save your money and buy a Glock or a Beretta...

Just kidding :). I read your other post about gun snobs. I've never heard anyone talk bad about P95s. They are built like tanks, accurate enough and reliable. I had one that I eventually traded. It was a bit too bulky for CC. Great guns though. Thanks for the detailed ammo review!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I had a P-89 in the past and used Ruger and Mecgar mags ... 0 problems with either. I'll go with these again on the 95. Mecgar is the contract supplier for the Ruger SR9 oem magazines, don't know if this is true for the P series.

The Mecgar mags are first rate. Be advised that mags with no thick base plate like the Ruger mags have might not seat as well. With my thick hand,seating one of Mecgar mags has resulted in FT FEED. This has happened 3 times in 2,000+rds. This is the ONLY failure of ANY kind in my stainless P-95DC. I just make sure the Mecgars are fully seated.

Top Bottom