• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well, if someone had told me five years ago that I would one day be extolling the virtues of a Ruger centerfire handgun, I would have told you to wake up and apologize, cause you're dreaming! Hell, if you had told me a MONTH ago that I would be writing this review of a Ruger centerfire handgun and, dare I say it, deciding to actually carry it for my EDC, I would have laughed.

But, here I am.

The Ruger SR9c is, in a word, amazing. The Ruger SR9c has a great trigger, fits the hand well, is amazingly accurate, is easily concealable, and works as both a carry gun and a home defense weapon due to the fact that they send the gun with two magazines- a 10 round magazine along with a "sleeved" 17 round magazine. The trigger on this gun rivals the Glock easily, is on par with the Smith and Wesson M&P series of weapons, and even comes close to the holy grail of triggers on striker fired pistols- the Walther PPQ.

The SR9c comes in three commonly available flavors- those with a satin stainless slide, those with a blackened stainless slide, and an exclusive Talo edition with a DLC coated stainless slide. The first two versions have slide serrations both in front and back, while the Talo edition has them only in the back. The polymer frame is thin in all the right places allowing the hand to melt into place. Unlike the GLOCK, the grip does not feel blocky at all.

Shooting these pistols is a joy. I have one in satin stainless and one of the Talo editions. No difference in performance. Both are reliable and phenomenally accurate. Trigger reset is outstanding. Recoil is negligible. Just a joy.

As mentioned, another stroke of brilliance by Ruger was the inclusion of both the 10 round mag for carry as well as a sleeved 17 round mag for home defense. Just switch mags and you can have it your way.

And for those of you who like manual safeties, disconnect safeties, and loaded chamber indicators on your weapons, the Ruger SR9c does not disappoint. The SR9c has a low profile ambidextrous thumb safety, along with the iconic trigger safety featured on nearly every major brand of polymer pistol these days. The SR9c also has a magazine disconnect feature that can, if so desired, be removed with very little effort or skill required. As well, the loaded chamber indicator consists of a large, thin, red strip of metal along the top of the slide just behind the ejection port. You CANNOT miss it. Personally, I typically like none of these features on a carry gun (or any gun, for that matter). However, the way in which Ruger has included them without offending the natural lines and surfaces of the gun somehow has managed to slip by my "HATE IT" reflex I typically get when handling pistols with these features. Pick one up and you will understand.

In summary, the Ruger SR9c is a comfortable, concealable, accurate, attractive, reliable, soft shooting, well designed handgun with a geeat trigger. In my humble opinion, the Ruger SR9c represents one of the best values in a handgun for EDC or home defense (or BOTH) that has ever been offered. I own two of them, and that should let you know how impressed with them I truly am.

Touche, Ruger! Touche!

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree the SR9c is possibly the best value in a EDC/HD pistol. I bought one to play with and was impressed

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I was just looking at this in the lgs for cc. I was very impressed my the quality and comfort of the gun. I just felt it was a little too big and heavy for it to be comfortable for edc.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I was just looking at this in the lgs for cc. I was very impressed my the quality and comfort of the gun. I just felt it was a little too big and heavy for it to be comfortable for edc.

With a good holster, and a good gun belt, it all but disappears to you.

I agree with the review except I believe the Sr9c trigger is about the best DAO trigger you will come across out of the box.
    I've had my SR9c for about 3 years now. I liked it so much I bought the SR9 about 2 years ago to use in IDPA.

Very happy with both. You can do a very simple 5 min trigger job on them and improve the trigger even more. The use of just a small dab of grease on one key part can improve it even more.

I've taken several folks to the range that are new to guns, and wanting to purchase a gun. Most had their minds set they wanted a glock. After shooting the variety I have for them, glocks, M&p's etc, they all shot the Sr9's the best. And ended up buying the SR9c and never looked back. YMMV

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana

Well, I was carrying a full size 1911 before, so "big and heavy" is certainly a relative term. LOL!

It would be great if you could build a gun the size of an LCP with the capacity of a GLOCK 17 and the weight of an Airweight J Frame. Unfortunately, it just isn't possible.

Often when I have carried petite guns in the past, I have often remembered my warning to others that a handgun's primary purpose is to assist you in winning a fight, not being petite and comfy. The SR9c is small enough to be pretty comfy while still having the capacity to engage multiple targets.

The SR9c gives you about the smallest package with good ergonomics and enough capacity to handle involved encounters. And, they give you a full size mag as a backup for edc and as a primary for home defense! Just a great value!

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a *huge* fan of the SR9C! I got mine before Christmas last year, and after drifting/adjusting the windage on the rear sight, cleaning out the striker channel, and removing the magazine disconnect, I just about can't miss with it. Just loved the trigger right out of the box. Easy to shoot, pretty darned accurate, and simple to maintain. I'd say the SR9C, along with the CZ P-07, are the two best values out there today.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Please share.

Sure:
    This applies to either the SR9 or 9C
    Items I used: Dremel with polish wheel. Flitz Metal Polish.
    Polish the two surfaces marked with the red dot and the red arrow.
    Put a dab of grease on the surface on the striker that was polished.
    Be sure that you have cleaned out the striker channel. Sometimes this comes from factory full of gunk.
    If you are comfortable doing so, remove the mag disconnect or polish the surfaces that can rub on the striker if you don't want to remove it.
    The key is to simply polish, NOT remove any metal.
    Use a magnifying glass on the striker polish area, and you can see your progress.

That's all I polished and I'm happy. There are further steps you can do, see youtube for those. I'm not that adventurous.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I bought a new one early last year. turns out that it was one in a batch that had the slide stop spring problem. At 20rds the spring disconnected, making the slide lock back on every round. Back to mothership it went. Kudos to Ruger (picked up at my door and delivered back to my door in exactly seven days) service. Flawless after being fixed. Great out of box trigger and more accurate than I will ever be. Makes a great EDC in my Foxx hybrid iwb holster. Hard to beat for the money, IMHO. Do recommend.

Top Bottom